• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Who does Mr Mumm work for? Buildcorp?
John Mumm, ex-director of the ARU now sits on the board of Buildcorp.

Jokes aside, a pretty remarkable family (grandfather Bill was an AB. Brother Greg worked at the Tahs) that have given heaps to this sport

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
John Mumm, ex-director of the ARU now sits on the board of Buildcorp.

Jokes aside, a pretty remarkable family (grandfather Bill was an AB. Brother Greg worked at the Tahs) that have given heaps to this sport

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

The coincidence is mind boggling - but alas nepotism is the only constant in oz rugby

dru

Tim Horan (67)
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...n/news-story/a33d0b6c0b29168b0cb67976315e6d8a

BMW, Buildcorp(NRC) and Lion Nathan are all pulling their sponsorship.. worth $millions

And so it is finally done. I have tried so hard to avoid a statement along the lines of "OK ARU, I'm out". I can no longer hold that view. You know about camel backs and straws?

I don't honestly know what this means, certainly I see SS in my future. I have committed to one final GGR blog which will be done as an ARU and annoyance free zone.

An open statement to the ARU board - from me it's a complete vote of absence of confidence. Completely. Again I find myself unable to voice my displeasure without invective. I'll just leave it there.

On a bright note, I'm liking Buildcorp and Josephine.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
Reference to buildcorp is an interesting one - thy were at the Rugby Business Network meeting the other month and were very pro their sponsorship in rugby. I would be facinated to here more about this and their views, plans going forward below calling them clowns.

Could it be being moved to a different area of rugby?

Still dont know what is happening wth Soup teams and the impact this may have on the NRC.

Basically they've pulled the sponsorship as the ARU reneged on creating a womens domestic competition.

Buildcorp are also the sponsor of the womens XV.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Hmmm..

It reads like Buildcorp are holding the ARU to ransom - "organise a women's NRC comp and we'll glady come back". SO it's got nothing to do with the performance of the sponsorship deal, just that a woman is demanding a pro woman's comp.

Our zone tries to organise a women's comp each year and it's a clusterfuck. When the 2 clubs that are playing each other can actually field a team, games are decided on the day as to whether they'll be 7s, 10s, 12s or 15s depending on how many players from each team turn up. Obviously a pro comp would be better structured, but where is the priority for this? Does it have to be NRC? It's not like the ARU needs another comp to organise.

All that said - I'm not surprised that sponsors are pulling out given the current state of the code.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Basically they've pulled the sponsorship as the ARU reneged on creating a womens domestic competition.

Buildcorp are also the sponsor of the womens XV.

Surely, behind the scenes, there has to be more to such a drastic move than the stated reason unless the ARU was stupid enough to categorically promise Buildcorp a women's NRC well and truly by now and has subsequently reneged. (Hello, Western Force contracting process..........)

Given the ARU's relative success with and further investment in women's 7s, Buildcorp's reasoning just seems a bit odd.

Losing a sponsor of that $ size has got to put the NRC funding model - and perhaps the whole NRC enterprise - under great strain.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
An interesting little side point with Josephine Sukkar is that she has been on the four person ARU nominations committee since at least 2014 from what I can work out.

I can't find whether she was part of it when it commenced in 2012.

Either way, she's either been involved in a few or most of the appointments of the current ARU board.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I honestly think organising a Womens NRC would be pretty doable.

The Victorian, Western Australian, ACT, Country NSW teams stay the same from Women's state champs (rebadged though). The Sydney and Qld teams split in two in alignment with the NRC. Add in Armed Services and South Australia too, because they've got a place in the Women's game and suddenly you have your 10 teams.

Run it like the old Junior Gold Cup where you fly up to Sydney/Brisbane on Friday afternoon and play Friday night and Sunday morning. Could have the whole comp done in 5-6 weeks. Probably can't see a financial pathway to it being semi-pro though.

Potentially, they'd have to look at 2 pools of 5 to make this logistically/financially possible.

They could also look to have a NSW V Qld game at the end of it, selected from the 2-3 local sides.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Hmmm..

It reads like Buildcorp are holding the ARU to ransom - "organise a women's NRC comp and we'll glady come back". SO it's got nothing to do with the performance of the sponsorship deal, just that a woman is demanding a pro woman's comp.

Cynicism is a good thing, but seriously, the conspiracy here is that a woman who sponsors rugby, and actively supports women's rugby, the current president of Australian Women's Rugby, hey outrage, this bird wants a female comp! Look we offered a perfectly good mini rugby, but she insists on the proper stuff! 30 women on the pitch. You'd think she actually likes RUGBY. Wow.

Go figure. Some women are just crazy biased with this stuff. <insert your choice of emoticon here>

Dropping the cynicism, imo we need more people at the control levers at the ARU like Josephine.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
An interesting little side point with Josephine Sukkar is that she has been on the four person ARU nominations committee since at least 2014 from what I can work out.

I can't find whether she was part of it when it commenced in 2012.

Either way, she's either been involved in a few or most of the appointments of the current ARU board.

OK. Now THAT is interesting.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Can anyone share what is in that link as I dont subscribe to courier mail.

Reference to buildcorp is an interesting one - thy were at the Rugby Business Network meeting the other month and were very pro their sponsorship in rugby. I would be facinated to here more about this and their views, plans going forward below calling them clowns.

Could it be being moved to a different area of rugby?
Still dont know what is happening wth Soup teams and the impact this may have on the NRC.

I cant read the article.

Try the GGR front page under "Wednesday Rugby News". Don't think you'll like it.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Cynicism is a good thing, but seriously, the conspiracy here is that a woman who sponsors rugby, and actively supports women's rugby, the current president of Australian Women's Rugby, hey outrage, this bird wants a female comp! Look we offered a perfectly good mini rugby, but she insists on the propr stuff! 30 women on the pitch. You'd think she actually like RUGBY. Wow.

Go figure. Some women are just crazy biased with this stuff. <insert your choice of emoticon here>

Dropping the cynicism, imo we need more people at the control levers at the ARU like Josephine.

I wonder if there was a clause in the sponsorship agreement that it would only continue if there was an NRC women's comp introduced in 2017 (or something like that). That's a different story, because the implication is that their sponsorship was in part going to contribute to the development of said comp. Someone mentioned the word 'reneged' above.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Cynicism is a good thing, but seriously, the conspiracy here is that a woman who sponsors rugby, and actively supports women's rugby, the current president of Australian Women's Rugby, hey outrage, this bird wants a female comp! Look we offered a perfectly good mini rugby, but she insists on the propr stuff! 30 women on the pitch. You'd think she actually like RUGBY. Wow.

absolutely and (having met her) she is a very impressive person with strong values and if she is appointed to grow womens rugby then that s what she does - note to Pulver - this does not mean cut a team

Reactions: dru

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
Surely, behind the scenes, there has to be more to such a drastic move than the stated reason unless the ARU was stupid enough to categorically promise Buildcorp a women's NRC well and truly by now and has subsequently reneged.

I can completely believe this happened, especially considering Buildcorp's sponsorship of the national womens' team is quite recent.

If I were to sceptically piece together a timeline, I'd say it was brought up at the start of the NRC as a long term goal then Pulver doubled down in return for the Wallaroos sponsorship.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Not overly disappointed that Lion are "changing direction". The Hahn 3.5 they've been pushing as the "official beer of the Wallabies" is in imo a diabolically bad beer so just about anything else will be an improvement.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
For something a bit more light hearted from across the ditch, check this out:

A Canterbury man on how to fix the Wallabies/ARU. Worth watching.

I'd really like the ARU to watch that. Not sure I agree with this understated Kiwi thing, but it's hard to deny that Aussies do better with a swagger. Haven't seen much swagger in Aus rugby for a long time.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
The article I read said three sponsors had pulled out BMW was another unsure who the third Sponsor is

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'd really like the ARU to watch that. Not sure I agree with this understated Kiwi thing, but it's hard to deny that Aussies do better with a swagger. Haven't seen much swagger in Aus rugby for a long time.

Understanding it's comedy, but the whole bit on Game On is incorrect.

I don't think he did the research, just googled the initiative and read the values document.

Reactions: dru