• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
What are Phil Waugh’s credentials for this role? Seriously? I mean apart from going to Shore. (No doubt it is a great school, but it is beyond ridiculous the number of high level appointments that have come from a single school. Astounding).

I’ve just tried to find any sort of decent experience which shows he is a good selection for this role. He’s been on the Rugby Australia board - but as far as I can see there is nothing in his professional background to suggest he is worthy to even be in the running for CEO.

As far as I can tell the main driving force seems to be he is pals with McLennan.

I love rugby - but these sort of appointments are a disgrace.

I know there are many on here much better connected and more knowledgeable than me. Am I wrong? Please tell me my fears are misplaced.
His last role with NAB was in charge of the broker network, so he is used to herding cats

The key question to me is just who applied that was better? and why would a really good CEO want the bloody job?

The best CEOs are highly driven, super talented arseholes, they have had no life for 20 plus years of grind and are looking for the best 5-8 years they can get on top before they are sacked and become part of the director/consultant class

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
His last role with NAB was in charge of the broker network, so he is used to herding cats

The key question to me is just who applied that was better? and why would a really good CEO want the bloody job?

The best CEOs are highly driven, super talented arseholes, they have had no life for 20 plus years of grind and are looking for the best 5-8 years they can get on top before they are sacked and become part of the director/consultant class

Cynical but mostly fair FP

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Lol… like it’s just Waugh at a desk going through the figures
Obviously not… all I’m saying is that it doesn’t hurt to have someone who isn’t flying blind, regardless of the other advice being received.

You would of course expect a CEO to have the required level of understanding to be involved in that decision, but I’m assuming Waugh would exceed those expectations, which should be beneficial.

Again, I’m not a huge fan of the decision, just trying to find any silver lining.

Agent

Alfred Walker (16)
Ok please excuse my ignorance…. does Waugh have the job or are people just speculating? Do we know who the other candidates were?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
As to the nepotism of the ARU, what do you expect?

Preference for a rugby background with good networking ability seems sensible

Good educational/business back ground

So they are highly likely to have gone to a Sydney or Brisbane private school, been part of the rugby culture that entails, playing etc and has then used those networks to build a career after rugby

So the ones who do best will tick most of those boxes and be up for managerial roles - but they can't do too good or they would never want the role

As to the Mosman clique, well, make money in Sydney and you either end up in Mosman if you haven't made that much (in comparison) and if you make plenty, the prime eastern suburbs is where they end up

Last edited:

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Apparently Rugby Australia sought out Andrew Fagan, who is significantly better qualitied for the role… but I’m not sure how well his tenure ended at the Adelaide Crows?
The infamous KPMG report does not paint a good picture of Fagan to be honest.