• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
The Canberra Times are running with a different angle...

Brumbies, Rugby Australia on the brink of war after centralisation move​

Paywalled with ACM:

Well, I can only read the first three lines before the paywall, but "fighting to keep the Brumbies in Canberra"? That is indeed quite a different spin on things.

I suppose it's inflammatory than saying "we don't want to have to align our S&C approach with RA".

half

Alan Cameron (40)

Paywalled with ACM:

There is always more than one solution, and some things are common across all solutions.

I don't personally see any issues, with Phil's plan, but I am not that important.

The people who have to support the plan are key influential stakeholders.

Unity is strength, disunity often leads to failure.

If the B's are on the brink of war, its a sign maybe not all are behind it, as often the noisy one reflects thoughts of others who have keep quite.

Unlike the AFL & NRL, where having dominate head offices in Sydney & Melbourne where the rest of the country follows, sports with strong independent state bodies often result in state egos getting in the way.

I hope Phil, has got the key stakeholders on side before his master plan announcement.

Hope it all works, an interesting space to watch, and more interesting will be to see how at local park level they implement the plan.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
In regards to the brumbies - Without the NRC as a development pathway there’s a huge red flag happening in Canberra and it’s associated with the population & local rugby competition not being strong enough as a development nursery.

Least the rebels/drua/force and their lack of quality local club rugby understand this and are addressing it by sending players back to QPR/Shute shield

What are the brumbies doing to give their fringe players a better level of rugby? A token tour to Japan etc isn’t enough.

BRING BACK THE NRC (for the brumbies sake)

Edit : I forgot about Rhys Van Nek playing club rugby in qld (won’t delete post though)

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)

Paywalled with ACM:

There you go.

The Canberra rugby union community is bracing for the biggest war since the start of the professional era as officials ready themselves for a fight to ensure the ACT Brumbies remain in the capital.

Rugby Australia lobbed a grenade at Super Rugby franchises on Wednesday, announcing its plans for a long-discussed centralised model that would see the governing body control all five Australian teams.

On the surface it has been mooted as a game-changing moment for the sport and the "historic strategic reset" rugby needs after continued decline over the past decade.

But it set off alarm bells in Canberra, with some fearing it was the beginning of what they described as a "hostile takeover" and an eventual plan to either relocate the Brumbies, or make them a feeder franchise for bigger states.

Rugby Australia sources insisted the centralisation push would not include relocation or raiding the Brumbies player stocks to improve NSW or Queensland.

Instead, the sources suggested they wanted to tap into what the Brumbies were doing and had plans to grow the club's reach beyond its existing boundaries in the ACT and southern NSW.

Several Brumbies officials and Canberra club figures were reluctant to comment when contacted by The Canberra Times. The Brumbies board is still discussing the best approach to Rugby Australia's proposal and wants more details before deciding whether it is a plan the directors are willing to support.

Their fears stem from the way Rugby Australia is using the structure of Irish rugby as a cornerstone for the transformation in Australia. In Ireland, Leinster and Munster are the two powerhouse clubs, with the rest viewed as more second-tier operations.

In Australia, NSW and Queensland are considered the most influential states given their populations and participation numbers.

The Brumbies have been Australia's most successful team since the start of Super Rugby in 1996, but there have been continual pushes from interstate to move the team.

Given the Western Force is now backed by billionaire Andrew Forrest and Rugby Australia has persisted with a team in Melbourne despite financial losses and poor results, the Brumbies have the most to lose.

Rugby Australia would seek to take ownership of the Brumbies' licence. Officials have privately reassured club bosses they have no intention of moving the club away from Canberra, or reallocating players to NSW or Queensland, but trust between organisations appears to be eroding.

Rugby Australia published its intentions on Wednesday morning, with each Super Rugby team adding a statement to the plan. The input from Brumbies chairman Matt Nobbs was the most lukewarm of all.

"The Brumbies will explore the process of helping shape the structure and direction of Rugby in Australia," Nobbs said.

"This club has a proud history of innovation and success in Australian rugby, and we see this as an opportunity to drive rugby forward in the ACT and Southern NSW."

Brumbies scrumhalf Nic White's move to the Western Force was one of the first indications centralisation was imminent.

The Brumbies have been accused of stacking Wallabies talent on their roster, despite rejected players from other states coming to Canberra to make a name for themselves.

White didn't want to leave the capital, but because the Brumbies have the highly-regarded Ryan Lonergan on their books it's understood Rugby Australia was keen to find a way for both of them to maximise their playing time.

The centralised model would see ACT rugby continue to administer community competitions and pathways, with Rugby Australia assuming control of all professional assets.

It is no secret the Brumbies have struggled financially for several years, with Rugby Australia reducing funding by 30 per cent when the Force was reintroduced to Super Rugby.

The Brumbies made a modest profit in 2021, but reported a financial loss at the annual general meeting last year.

Crowds at all Super Rugby games - both in Australia and New Zealand - have dwindled from the halcyon days, with rugby struggling to compete with rugby league and Australian rules.

WHAT'S THE CENTRALISATION PLAN?

Rugby Australia has been talking about a potential centralisation model for more than a decade, but finally decided to pull the trigger in an attempt to reverse the downward trend leading into the British and Irish Lions series in 2025, a home men's World Cup in 2027 and a home women's World Cup in 2029.

Rugby Australia sources conceded the powerbrokers knew centralisation would be a touchy subject, particularly in Canberra, but the leaders were adamant it was the right move.

Queensland has expressed some resistance to the move, but NSW, the Rebels and the Western Force are all on board.

As part of the changes, Super Rugby clubs will continue with the operational deliver of the men's and women's competitions and be aligned to a national high-performance plan.

It's understood Super Rugby coaching and player contracts would move into Rugby Australia's hands, as well as the Wallabies, Wallaroos and sevens programs.

Rugby Australia said the alignment was designed to improve results, commercial performance of Super Rugby teams and "streamline the governance of professional rugby".

Rugby Australia chief executive Phil Waugh said the move needed to be made now to be chase success over the next six years.

"Together, we need to change our collective approach to ensure that rugby in Australia can prosper, on and off the field - from the heartbeat of our game at the grassroots right through to our Wallabies, Wallaroos and sevens teams," Waugh said.

"We firmly believe that strategic structural change is required if we are to deliver success for the game in the future - particularly with the pipeline of major Rugby events happening in our backyard through to 2032.

"This is a significant project and needs to be done through a spirit of partnership across Australian Rugby, motivated by the collective desire to ensure we are winning on the field and ensuring that we are sustainable, and able to grow off it.

"The implementation of this model cannot be a one-size-fits-all model, and needs to reflect the specifics of each Super Rugby Club, Member Union and their markets.

"It will take time to successfully deliver this project, however we intend to formally commence work on rolling it out over the coming weeks, with a plan to methodically work through the process with our many stakeholders.

"With the many exciting events on the horizon for Australian Rugby, it is important that we take this opportunity to really set up our system, and our Clubs to be more successful, and drive the game forward at all levels."

NSW quickly jumped on board. They loom as one of the states who will benefit the most given Sydney is the biggest market in the country.

Chairman Tony Crawford said: "The reset of professional rugby in this country is long overdue. We are committed to RA's new strategic direction which will give the Waratahs an even better opportunity to develop, attract and retain the rich seam of talent that we have, and to grow our game from grass roots, at every level."

The Rebels and Force said they were supportive of structural reform, while Queensland chairman Brett Clark indicated the Reds were not fully committed.

"The Queensland Reds will be behind measures that will lead to more successful Super Rugby clubs and Australian sides on and off the field," Clark said.

"There is a lot of detail to work through, and we are supportive to start on what the model will look like in Queensland and how we can contribute to ensure sustained success on-field at all levels."

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
How short do they think our memories are? RA taking over the Force licence was the prelude to axing them from the competition. The notion of shrinking to greatness still seems to have some traction in higher rugby circles. I don't think any of the Brumbies, Rebels or Force (despite Twiggy's support) should feel comfortable with any proposal for RA to take over the running of the Super teams.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
There is nothing in the RA release about arrogating the Super licences. There is something about "the whole truth" that is missing OR it is bollocks.

It's a pretty bizarre fear all the same. Brumbies are the most successful professional rugby franchise we have.

I'd suggest the same about suggestions that another shrink to greatness is on the cards, except. History.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
That is the craziest bloody article I’ve read in a while. It rages from complete tinfoil hat territory to bizarre fantasy land.

Bizarre.

NSW and Qld raid their player stocks. Ha!

Furtherest thing from the truth.

The players are already developed at schoolboy level in qld/nsw gps rugby.

Go take a look at Wikipedia of rugby players from Canberra. There’s one notable name… Bernie - The rest of the brumbies are hired mercenaries from qld/nsw

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Furtherest thing from the truth.

The players are already developed at schoolboy level in qld/nsw gps rugby.

Go take a look at Wikipedia of rugby players from Canberra. There’s one notable name… Bernie - The rest of the brumbies are hired mercenaries from qld/nsw

Just one?

1692782929875.gif

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
While everyone is dissing on the Brumbies, I think we have lost sight of the original RA press release. It was so full of marketing blather that it was basically meaningless. McLennan would be proud to stand behind it because his career is in marketing. It basically allows him to do whatever he wants and then claim it is part of "the plan".

Which is exactly what he wants.

What I want to see is a plan, stripped of all the verbiage with specific action points on how the plan is to be achieved. It'll be a cold day in hell before I ever get that, either because they are unable to write the plan at all or because they don't want people to know what's actually being planned.

If McLennan gets the WR (World Rugby) job he reportedly wants then we should probably appoint Scotty from Marketing to replace him so he can continue on McLennan's great work.

I'm no Brumbies fan, but they seem to be the most level-headed (and successful) of all the Super organisations and their "bullshit monitors" are probably the most finely tuned. If it sounds and looks like a turkey then it probably is a turkey.

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
While everyone is dissing on the Brumbies, I think we have lost sight of the original Rugby Australia press release. It was so full of marketing blather that it was basically meaningless. McLennan would be proud to stand behind it because his career is in marketing. It basically allows him to do whatever he wants and then claim it is part of "the plan".

Which is exactly what he wants.

What I want to see is a plan, stripped of all the verbiage with specific action points on how the plan is to be achieved. It'll be a cold day in hell before I ever get that, either because they are unable to write the plan at all or because they don't want people to know what's actually being planned.

If McLennan gets the WR (World Rugby) (World Rugby) job he reportedly wants then we should probably appoint Scotty from Marketing to replace him so he can continue on McLennan's great work.

I'm no Brumbies fan, but they seem to be the most level-headed (and successful) of all the Super organisations and their "bullshit monitors" are probably the most finely tuned. If it sounds and looks like a turkey then it probably is a turkey.
Agreed, im a fairly simple bloke. When I read the release I wasn't really sure how it was a "reset" and what specifically was changing...

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Someone had to do it - Brumbies' current squad's approx. pathway and/or 'where they came onto the scene' (happy to be corrected)

ACT (8)
Tom Hooper Canberra / ID'd while still in Bathurst per Qwerty
Fred Kaihea NZ but developed Canberra / Country NSW
Nos Lonergan Canberra
Ryan Lonergan Canberra
Connal McInerney Canberra / Country NSW
Tom Ross Canberra
Rory Scott Canberra
Corey Toole
Country NSW / Canberra

NSW (13)
7As (Allan Ala'alatoa) (Allan Ala'alatoa) Sydney
Charlie Cale Dubbo
Jack Debreczeni Sydney
Nick Frost Sydney
Ed Kennedy Sydney

Cadeyrn Neville Sydney
Ben O’Donnell Sydney
Billy Pollard Sydney
Luke Reimer Sydney

Blake Schoupp NSW/QLD
Klayton Thorn Sydney
Nic White NSW
Tom Wright
Sydney

QLD (11)
Nathan Carroll Brisbane
Hudson Creighton Brisbane
CFS Brisbane
Len Ikitau Brisbane
Noah Lolesio Gold Coast
Declan Meredith Brisbane
Jesse Mogg Brisbane
Andrew Muirhead Brisbane
James Slipper Gold Coast
Darcy Swain Brisbane

Rhys Van Nek Brisbane

VIC (2)
Pete Samu Melbourne
Rob Valetini
Melbourne

NZ (4)
Jahrome Brown NZ
Sefo Kautai NZ
Ollie Sapsford NZ
Tamati Tua NZ

Last edited:

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It’s pretty basic isn’t it?

RA to deliver a High Performance Plan. Not sure if this has been done before but that’s what’s stated.

RA will be responsible for Super Rugby and Super W coaches.

RA to manage control all player contracting.

RA to control all national sides. Assume this officially means the end Oz schoolboys?

It also reads to me that RA takes on national pathways and development. So national schoolboys and schoolgirls. National 7s. National U20s etc.

Super Rugby sides play rugby. They can run their own pathway programs to find and develop athletes to get them ready for super and W rugby, but the programs align to the National HPP.

Member Unions grow the community game.

That’s my take at least.

Brumbies upset because they now have to develop players instead of run ‘high performance programs’ and warehouse players.

Rebels and Tahs happy because they are desperate for a model that eases their dire financial state.

Reds upset because they think they are better than they are. They may boast about home grown talent and promoting from their development pathways but the fact is these development pathways as have proved insufficient at the top level. Their only stand out program is girls 7s because they have two OGs in Lachie Parkinson and Reg Tayler who basically run their own show.

Force upset because they think they have their shit lined up but forget the second Forrest moves on from this hobby, they’re the Rebels.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It’s pretty basic isn’t it?

Rugby Australia to deliver a High Performance Plan. Not sure if this has been done before but that’s what’s stated.

Rugby Australia will be responsible for Super Rugby and Super W coaches.

Rugby Australia to manage control all player contracting.

Rugby Australia to control all national sides. Assume this officially means the end Oz schoolboys?

It also reads to me that Rugby Australia takes on national pathways and development. So national schoolboys and schoolgirls. National 7s. National U20s etc.

Super Rugby sides play rugby. They can run their own pathway programs to find and develop athletes to get them ready for super and W rugby, but the programs align to the National HPP.

Member Unions grow the community game.

That’s my take at least.

Brumbies upset because they now have to develop players instead of run ‘high performance programs’ and warehouse players.

Rebels and Tahs happy because they are desperate for a model that eases their dire financial state.

Reds upset because they think they are better than they are. They may boast about home grown talent and promoting from their development pathways but the fact is these development pathways as have proved insufficient at the top level. Their only stand out program is girls 7s because they have two OGs in Lachie Parkinson and Reg Tayler who basically run their own show.

Force upset because they think they have their shit lined up but forget the second Forrest moves on from this hobby, they’re the Rebels.
Was the high performance plan the thing Rod Kafer was supposed to deliver a few years back?

I guess you wouldn't expect more from a press release but it's so fucken light on detail about how they plan to achieve any of it.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
From what I’ve heard the states have been playing silly buggers asking for compensation etc. No understanding of realty.