• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Many decisions made in the past few years were not black and white.

But the mismanagement of the Super clubs in the past few months is starkly black & white.
The ARU have been demonstrably incompetent.
So much so, that accountability for this mismanagement needs to be attributed,and corrected.
Not to do so, is either further proof of incompetence or arrogance.
Neither of which should be a feature of decision makers in this sport.
Again, misrepresenting my post.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Absolute nonsense to imagine that somebody with no background in our game could be the top dog in Australia.

Sheer fantasy.

Yep when that fool Lowy appointed a union person to set up the A_League then a AFL guy then a NRL guy to run soccer .

You can see how its failed and how successful appointing union people has been for thr ARU.

Wam

Ben Buckley was the second CEO appointed by Lowy to run soccer.

Buckley's career as a player was he was a very successful AFL player .

After his playing career he when into AFL management and rose to 2IC at the AFL. He is said to have been the brains and driving force behind the AFL's first billion + media deal.

Buckley knew nothing about soccer had never been to a game.

In soccer he is credited with laying the ground work and three 3 years negotiation to unite the State Federations, to make peace between the old NSL teams and district association rep teams [these two groups had been in open war fare for decades] .

Buckley took the history of the clubs, the teams, the state federations as they were, banged their heads together and talked and talked and talked and talked and talked. Finally the schedules and agreements were made. He left.

Gallop picked up were Buckley left and carried on the talk and talk and talk.

Result is today a 110 teams National Premier League from which they are in the process of creating a second and third division. Further to establish the FFA Cup which last year had about 850 teams enter.

All this done by non soccer people, rugby needs competent, professional, knowledgeable sports administrators, not ex GPS old boys living a bubble.

Wam

Your above post and your posting pertaining to the rules typifies much of the existing thinking in Rugby and a management team who have lead us to to where we are.

I want you to consider one simple question. Who today would invest in Australian Rugby run by the current board and CEO?

My guess is some may give it a little through but a little analysis will soon convince most to look for the waste paper Bin.

12 years ago soccer had gone broke run by soccer insiders. NSL crowds were averaging around 3.5 K and take away the top couple of sides and the average was less than 1.5K. Soccer had no media and was and still in some ways was openly mocked. The Socceroos often played before less than 10K.

Today they are planning for a 12 team competition with plans to grow to 16 teams begin a second and possibly third division and introduce promotion and regulation. Some of these things will take maybe 20 years to happen like promotion and regulation.

They have more than doubled their player numbers, have today 110 Football academies, plus state sports schools and state and national sporting academies.

They have around 14 bids to join. Why are people so eager to join? What have they done right?

Inbred soccer people running it and like wow. Professional sporting administrators running it and like what a difference.

Two bids the first from South East Melbourne called Team 11, they actually claim to have an area in Melbourne that soccer is more than AFL. The youtube in the vid is impressive.

The second where a Brisbane bid essentially wants to take over Ballymore.

IMO I would grab Buckley or go after the AFL's number 2 or 3.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/dandenong-mayor-wed-get-20000-members-in-a-month--465332

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/brisbane-city-reveal-bold-aleague-expansion-bid-20170505-gvz7fr.html

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
In Wayne's article in The AUstralian on Friday:
"ARU's emergency meeting not likely to resolve very much", he mentions that the Force "will get a vote in proceedings, with the ARU confirming that even though the Perth franchise sold its licence back to the ARU last year it will be allowed to vote at the meeting because of the Alliance agreement it signed at the time."
However, according to the ARU's constitution, 3.2a, "the Voting Members are : the Super Rugby Licensees", so the ARU , who now own and operate the WAForce, will have that vote.
The ARU cannot contradict its own Constitution and make representations to WARU in an Alliance Agreement and other Voting Members that WARU have two votes when clearly they have one vote.
All the Voting Member states should be on board with VRU and RUPA (VIC, SA, TAS, WA,NT, ACT, 2 x QLD and 2 x NSW + RUPA = 11 votes) because their constitutions clearly state that they exist to grow the game and shame on any one Voting Member state that disavows that basic aim.
I can see the franchises wanting to cull a team - "as long as it is not theirs" as they get a 20% increase in player funding, but that is a different story.
The basic tenant that Australian Super Rugby must cull a team supports the ARUs agenda and fails to recognise the financial mismanagement of the ARU - and if one were to compare the management of the NZRU which face similar costs (particularly with regard to travel) then one would clearly see that cutting a team is not the answer, financial management would be the preferred answer.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Whoever the forelock tuggers are they weren't in the crowd at the SFS yesterday.
It was quite remarkable to hear the "fans" bagging all and sundry connected to the ARU. I think they have no credibility with anyone who follows the game and I think there is room for the view that the onfield performances reflect the culture above - particularly the aimless kicking:mad:.
Rob Clarke was sitting very nearby and must have heard some of it.

S

sidelineview

It makes perfect sense to headhunt big knobs from the AFL to run Australian rugby.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
^^^^Massively different context in that they cannot change the laws mid season if they feel like it.
But at least they know what success looks like.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Whoever the forelock tuggers are they weren't in the crowd at the SFS yesterday.
It was quite remarkable to hear the "fans" bagging all and sundry connected to the ARU. I think they have no credibility with anyone who follows the game and I think there is room for the view that the onfield performances reflect the culture above - particularly the aimless kicking:mad:.
Rob Clarke was sitting very nearby and must have heard some of it.

I assure you, you'd hear exactly the same sort of comments, pervasively so, up here in Brisbane.

Muzza

Herbert Moran (7)
Im so sick of the shit Australian rugby seems to spit out every year.
We say we need to put money back to grassroots to bring it back to standard.
Say after a few years this works and we start producing more players. Now how are we going to keep the cream of good players when we don't have any money to keep them? If you look at the nrl junior programs there is an abundance of players that were brought up playing union. The only reason they went to league instead of union is because league pays juniors very well. look at the current kangaroos in the nrl. I can name 4 players( dugan ,cronk , frizzle, fifita) straight up that were union raised but switched cause of the money. We produce world class players as good as the all blacks but just don't have the the money to keep them. we can pump all the money we want into grass roots but we are going to keep losing them to rival clubs and overseas as we don't have the money to keep them in union! We need a frank lowey for union. They say rugby is for the upper class and wealthy. So where are the wealthy when you need them??

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Gnostic, is that a good or bad thing iyo? Head coach of the leading Aus conference, the only one with a positive for and against record this year, five years consecutively in the Super Rugby final series. Maybe a lot of misgivings about his coaching abilities, but far and away the best on offer in Aus. Hoping Wessels continues to improve the Force, while they're here, and show that he can rise to the occasion.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Wam

The tightly held control the ARU holds over all things rugby in Australia is hurting us. Not just a little.

As i posted Buckley with his AFL mostly and soccer experience IMO would make a good CEO or grab the AFL 2 or 3.

You know my feeling on the Nobody Really Cares competition i.e. driven and designed from the top and forced down. Many and influential members of the rugby family like Eastwood felt excluded as their views were not being considered.

My post above also looked at soccer run by soccer insiders and professional sports administrators. The difference between the for and after is there for all to see.

But I want to concentrate on one aspect of human nature and that is when you say go for it and trust people will come up with something nobody expected.

I assume everyone knows Eastwoods fields at TGM [OK they are being sold] but we all know of the grounds and the test players the Woodies have produced and with say Gordon, North Sydney, Parramatta all reasonably close you could argue a strong rugby area. Add Epping Boys next door a major rugby school and one of the few state schools left, add Normanhurst Boys as well another state school reasonably close. Next to Australia's nay the southern hemisphere's largest research park with over 50K jobs, and who can leave out Macquarie University. Add the local teams like Epping, North Rocks, Beecroft, Hillview, Dundas etc.

Wonder where all this is going. Well I have looked at that Team 11 bid from south east Melbourne. Then consider if we had opened up for an Australian competition and replace Eastwood with the Team 11 bid.

What I have is the main youtube, also watch the 30 second that follows as it shows the stadium and grounds. Then I have posted two aerial views of where they are talking about putting it.

The bid is beyond impressive but as I said a Eastwood could have done something similar a few years back.

http://i.imgur.com/17B5IcV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/j1zO0Bu.jpg

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Gnostic, is that a good or bad thing iyo? Head coach of the leading Aus conference, the only one with a positive for and against record this year, five years consecutively in the Super Rugby final series. Maybe a lot of misgivings about his coaching abilities, but far and away the best on offer in Aus. Hoping Wessels continues to improve the Force, while they're here, and show that he can rise to the occasion.

Leading the Australian Conference. Being the turd that floats in the effluent. Even in the worst performing conference, with teams like the Rebels and the Tahs who have shipped a record number of points this year their PD is what? +10 or so, and making the finals every year when one is guaranteed is a massive accomplishment.

Yes it is a bad thing, because surely some positive results would or should be a requirement for the job. As I've said perhaps a team missing fundamental basics like an effective exit strategy (which hasn't been there for a few years now) is an indicator of how well they are currently being coached.

Maybe, just maybe we could look outside the carpark.

T

TOCC

Best of a shit bunch isn't indicative of being the Wallaby coach in waiting IMO..
even the Brumbies have regressed since the White era, I fail to see any area where there has been a marked improvement in the Brumbies play over the past few years.

If there isn't a suitable coach in Australia, then they need to put pride aside and look for an overseas coach or foreign coach. It's worked for England, it can work for Australia.