• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Anyone else listen to the GBRA podcast with Matt Burke?

I suppose we shouldn't expect solutions from AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Gits and Burke (Mitchell was in France and hungover) - though Burke has roles with the tahs so he is actually kinda involved - and granted it was recorded early morning yday after the match, but their solutions to the game's problems weren't exactly novel. Fewer super teams from AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (same as half this forum then - i don't believe this will be a silver bullet, personally) and Burke said everyone needed to fit on 'one bus' which i originally thought was a proxy for cohesion but then ultimately realised he actually was worried about the number of buses. Again, not a formal forum at all but i was underwhelmed.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)

I suppose we shouldn't expect solutions from AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Gits and Burke (Mitchell was in France and hungover) - though Burke has roles with the tahs so he is actually kinda involved - and granted it was recorded early morning yday after the match, but their solutions to the game's problems weren't exactly novel. Fewer super teams from AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (same as half this forum then - i don't believe this will be a silver bullet, personally) and Burke said everyone needed to fit on 'one bus' which i originally thought was a proxy for cohesion but then ultimately realised he actually was worried about the number of buses. Again, not a formal forum at all but i was underwhelmed.
But as a counterpoint, Burkey doesn't believe that cutting teams is the way to go - because the players who didn't make the team would head overseas in greater numbers.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Yes Burke did have a different view on that. I just thought between the three of them we might get something a bit more transformational.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
But as a counterpoint, Burkey doesn't believe that cutting teams is the way to go - because the players who didn't make the team would head overseas in greater numbers.
Yeh he explained very well the issues with doing so. Didn’t realise he was now part of rugby NSW set up

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Off topic from eating ourselves.

Still some things happening outside France.

IMG_8954.jpeg

Aus Schools v Tonga also coming up. Australian Barbarians won 68/21 in the first game.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

I suppose we shouldn't expect solutions from AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Gits and Burke (Mitchell was in France and hungover) - though Burke has roles with the tahs so he is actually kinda involved - and granted it was recorded early morning yday after the match, but their solutions to the game's problems weren't exactly novel. Fewer super teams from AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (same as half this forum then - i don't believe this will be a silver bullet, personally) and Burke said everyone needed to fit on 'one bus' which i originally thought was a proxy for cohesion but then ultimately realised he actually was worried about the number of buses. Again, not a formal forum at all but i was underwhelmed.
It shows the pros don't know what it's like not to be a superstar. They want to go to three teams because it'll only allow the best of the best competing for spots. Anyone who doesn't make it can go back to clubland which they reckon in turn makes club rugby stronger.

But they forget these blokes need to live and will require money. So why would they stick around playing club rugby having to work a job when they can move overseas and get paid to play rugby.

So now we have less teams so our TV revenue is lower, we have less Australian games on, less professional players developing and less pathways for young players to come through.

I'm sure the Wallabies will be stronger, but that's at a huge detriment to the game here in Australia.

NoName

Herbert Moran (7)

Matt Burke's bit about the tahs high performance program and his involvement in related committees was right up there with the self awareness of Sam Cordingly giving evidence in QRU vs John Connolly.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Peter Fitzsimmons being reasonably coherent:
What part was reasonably coherent, it was just another rant. There was not a single thing offered in the article about how to turnaround Australian rugby.

We start winning, play attractive running rugby, sack Eddie Jones and then win the 27 World Cup. Wow I didn't realize how simple the whole thing was , we appoint one captain, we employ another coach, we pay out another coach, I mean why have they simply not done that for the last 20 years.

This article sums up the whole bloody approach of Australian rugby for the last two decades, just another fanciful Wishlist with promises to spend money on the Grassroots, but everything is focused on the Wallabies.

Last edited:

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
It shows the pros don't know what it's like not to be a superstar. They want to go to three teams because it'll only allow the best of the best competing for spots. Anyone who doesn't make it can go back to clubland which they reckon in turn makes club rugby stronger.

But they forget these blokes need to live and will require money. So why would they stick around playing club rugby having to work a job when they can move overseas and get paid to play rugby.

So now we have less teams so our TV revenue is lower, we have less Australian games on, less professional players developing and less pathways for young players to come through.

I'm sure the Wallabies will be stronger, but that's at a huge detriment to the game here in Australia.
There is a need for a professional competition under Super Rugby but the guys who aren’t good enough, aren’t good enough.

Is there a Super Rugby of Australians playing around the world who are at least at the Brumbies level or higher?

If so, the problem is with identifying talent.

The more I think about it, the more I’d like to see 2-3 Australian teams in the NPC. And free player movement in Super Rugby.

Last edited:

dru

Tim Horan (67)
There is a need for a professional competition under Super Rugby but the guys who aren’t good enough, aren’t good enough.

Is there a Super Rugby of Australians playing around the world who are at least at the Brumbies level or higher?

If so, the problem is with identifying talent.

The more I think about it, the more I’d like to see 2-3 Australian teams in the NPC.And free player movement in Super Rugby.

BR you have pushed around the issue that higher level of quality is required in Super if the Wallabies are to improve. I don't have a problem with that premis. The issue for me, is that is does not provide either the income or the grass root strength that is requried to be a successful professional code. With that in mind I would take the hit to the Wallabies and re-build - withy a structure and team quantity that sets up for a better Wallabies into the future, but the primary focus being building the code.

And of course my thoughts don't matter. We are locked in for 10 years. So the next step is what has to happen within the existing structures to make at least the professional game (Super) more succesful. We can't afford to cut teams, but a successful pro comp is not going to happen with it's current lop-sided nature. So the bolded bit in your post is key.

If we cut teams it is the death nell for Australian professional rugby. It is alson unlikely to be either Force or Rebels if we are serious about a national game. Hence exactly why the Brumbies are not just cautious but quite reactive.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I honestly think Aus should concentrate only having Aussie eligible players playing for them, and have however many teams that works out to. I don't see how Aussie rugby paying a portion of All Black player's wages will help at all, unless they got more coin than they pretending. How many players from Force, Rebels, Reds etc are not eligible for Wallabies? I really truly believe that is a short term answer, and will hurt rugby development in Aus in long term.

I 100% disagree. I think that concentrating the teams is the short-term answer.

How does having 3 teams with only 3 players to choose from in each position differ to the development of having 5 Super Rugby teams made up of 3 Aussie players and 2 NZ players. You have the same number of players to choose from? You also have a stronger competition which means stronger development as there's better players across the board (NZ players). NZ have too much depth and we have too little - it's the logical solution. If even they are fringe players in the squad it will drive the starters to play better so they don't lose there spots.

If you drop the Rebs, Force, Brumbies you are going to alienate all those supporters who likely will never watch a super rugby again. Bringing in NZ players saves the teams and keeps the current supporters.

Also, people keep talking like there aren't any player stocks to choose from which is total BS. We are simply losing the players to League. And now you want to give kids 14 chances to go to a League Academy verse 3 chances to go to Union. Given there are 9 in NRL teams in Sydney and only 1 Union team then it's a 9-1 battle. Good luck signing any decent junior.

Here's an idea. Instead of all these provincial/territory crap where only NSW/QLD developed players can play for NSW/QLD. Let's do the opposite and embrace the poaching instead. Have the Brumbies, Rebs, Force, Reds all set-up there junior academies in Sydney as the majority of juniors are there. You can also have the entire academy/junior comp run out of NSW. That way you have 5 super rugby teams trying to sign the same juniors as 9 NRL teams all based in Sydney.

Also, screw 'Centralisation' and bring on 'Globalisation'. Literally set-up wallaby training camps in France, scrap the Giteau law, bring in all the best overseas Aussies and run the camps overseas to get the guys up to speed as quickly as possible. Focus on winning the Bledisloe and Rugby Championship with the best players, then you can use the Spring Tour to focus more on domestic players and development.

There's my 2 scents for a stronger wallabies and a stronger super XV.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
The NPC loses money now how will international travel make it more viable? At least it will give the Kiwis a good look at our next best player so they can posch them .

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Is there any alternate universe where the kiwis let us play a few teams in the NPC?
NZ has hitched it's wagon to Australia by pushing SA out of Super Rugby. I think we are already seeing the effects of that with players not getting consistent quality competition to improve. And the same point I make about Australia, I will make about NZ - none of the top tier teams play domestic-only competitions. And the state of Super Rugby at the moment, it's really only a domestic comp for NZ.

Listening to Giteau on the GBRA podcast reinforced the thoughts that I have expressed on here. Players need to have competition for their spots. The depth of talent isn't here to do that right now. Having players being able to freely move between Super Rugby teams will help provide that.

Where would the Force or the Rebels be placed right now if they were in NPC? Genuine question - @Dan54 I know you watch a heap of NPC, do you have thoughts on how well these teams would go?