• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

NoName

Herbert Moran (7)
Neither are we, that's the point. That's what we are trying to change

We need a product in Australia that Australians want to watch
There're already two contact products that a sizeable proportion of the rugby viewing population already watch, and massive proportion of the general public watch. Those eyes and wallets are committed. It's not new eyes or undecided public we are trying to attract.

What specifically do you propose to offer that steals the committed eyes and wallets from the other two codes?

Why should I bring my money back to rugby to watch a flyhalf that has never developed their core skills to be competitive, when I can watch any number of RL players from 18-25 all deliver exceptional core skills every weekend. I can also see those core skills in any Super Rugby NZ matches and quite a few NPC matches.

Notice how world rugby instagram creams itself with the "diving winger" tries every three weeks on the rare occasion it happens. I can see that 5 times every weekend in the NRL.

I implore you: how do your propose that we have matches that feature high skilled Australian only play week in / week out that steals the viewers and money away from the NRL and AFL without offering any international element? I'm aware you are talking about the champions cup - but you are proposing a local competition aside from that international champions cup that will be amazing and awesome and people will want to watch. How?

Think on this: we already have the threat of a thrashing at the hands of the crusaders or a physical pummeling from the chiefs, and the Australian players are still not motivated to take charge of their own skills development in order to compete. What specific mechanism will the local product offer to ensure that by the time we do play in the champions cup the players can actually execute the basic core skills that all of NZ and SA players can since (seemingly) they were conceived?

Eddie Jones can be blamed for all the selection criticisms for Donaldson for sure - but Jesus F Christ a sizeable blame is at the feet of Gordon and Kelleway for being 10 years too late in developing their own place kicking abilities ffs. Fuck it, I'll throw in the two locks as well who don't wanna be as good as John eales just for a laff. We had a wallaby reject sports psychologists help because basically "wtf would they know".

Another overly opinionated take: this forum is an echo chamber. A shrinking one at that, judging by the size of matchday threads. It is literally my wallet and eyes that you are proposing will just magically return. Please convince me of this products attractiveness.

In short: convince me to help out when the players and RA don't help themselves.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
This year?

Where did you get the numbers? I can't find a whole lot of attendance numbers for 2023 and I'm keen to see them.
Brumbies vs Tahs 25,076 fans. 2023 better the Crusaders vs Reds

Stats for everything..

I want a domestic competition with a cup comp on top like Europe. Think Top 14.

You happy ignore where I said the unpredictability of outcome, with an Australian Champion every year is important to bring back Australian fans.

I truely don't see that what we want is so differrent....

Other then you seem hell bent on being inflammatory patronizing and damn right rude..

Must be the fact you only think Kiwi think they can win and have passion for there teams.. total unhinged.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Brumbies vs Tahs 25,076 fans. 2023 better the Crusaders vs Reds

Stats for everything..

I want a domestic competition with a cup comp on top like Europe. Think Top 14.

You happy ignore where I said the unpredictability of outcome, with an Australian Champion every year is important to bring back Australian fans.

I truely don't see that what we want is so differrent....

Other then you seem hell bent on being inflammatory patronizing and damn right rude..

Must be the fact you only think Kiwi think they can win and have passion for there teams.. total unhinged.
And you happily ignore that I already pointed out the Brumbies v Tahs number.
I never said that it did.

I’m making the point that Super Rugby has had, and continues to have, passionate fans. That’s not saying all is well and there’s no need for improvement.

25,000 fans turned up to watch the Brumbies v Waratahs in Round 1 of Super Rugby this year at Allianz. The Reds had an average attendance of 30,000-odd for 4 years.

Rivalries and tribalism is not unique to the Top 14 or devoid in Super Rugby is all I'm saying.
Stop lying about what I've said or making up bullshit like

"you only think Kiwi think they can win and have passion for there teams"

I'm here defending passionate Australian fans you idiot. Your unhinged hatred for me because I am from Aotearoa just oozes in every single post you make.

HogansHeros

Bob Loudon (25)
What specific mechanism will the local product offer to ensure that by the time we do play in the champions cup the players can actually execute the basic core skills that all of NZ and SA players can since (seemingly) they were conceived?
Ideally it would provide more game time esspecially for those who are on the edge of Super Rugby squads. SA and NZ have reliable domestic comps that allows players to play higher level rugby than shute shield before playing in any international comp. I don't have any figures, but I would guess the over seas players you are refering to are playing a lot more competitive rugby than the Aussies.

I dont think the domestic comp is the end goal, but i think its the starting point we need at the moment.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)

I'm here defending passionate Australian fans you idiot. Your unhinged hatred for me because I am from Aotearoa just oozes in every single post you make.
Can we just Rule 10 this? (While some of it is of interest, the repetitive nature is starting to get up my left nostril) (and my request goes to the other responders not just you mate).

NoName

Herbert Moran (7)
Ideally it would provide more game time esspecially for those who are on the edge of Super Rugby squads. SA and NZ have reliable domestic comps that allows players to play higher level rugby than shute shield before playing in any international comp. I don't have any figures, but I would guess the over seas players you are refering to are playing a lot more competitive rugby than the Aussies.

I dont think the domestic comp is the end goal, but i think its the starting point we need at the moment.
And how does that attract me at all?

In fact, those fringe players aren't getting exposed to the elite level because most of them won't get to compete in the champions cup or whatever is that main event.

The product that seems to be stated on here is about the viewers wanting to watch the Australians compete in something that is internally competitive. We've got that in two other codes at a professional level.

Specifically what does this proposed domestic competition that appeals to the Australian public have in the way of professional and skillful play? How do we promote whatever that is to get the viewers to watch it?

We don't have money to burn, so what is it?

Last edited:

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Can we just Rule 10 this? (While some of it is of interest, the repetitive nature is starting to get up my left nostril) (and my request goes to the other responders not just you mate).

I'd be happy too. I thought we were done here:
I'm done talking to you.. it's time you go have an irrational argument with another poster... there's plenty of others you can tell try and project onto..

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)

In fact, those fringe players aren't getting exposed to the elite level because most of them won't get to compete in the champions cup or whatever is that main event.

The product that seems to be stated on here is about the viewers wanting to watch the Australians compete in something that is internally competitive. We've got that in two other codes at a professional level.

Specifically what does this proposed domestic competition that appeals to the Australian public have in the way of professional and skillful play? How do we promote whatever that is to get the viewers to watch it?

I don't think there is anything that we can point to that will happen overnight.

In my mind, it will take at least 10-15 years to get right and the domestic product still won't be the big money maker. It will still be the Wallabies and hopefully Super Rugby, in whatever form it finally takes.

The biggest thing right now, IMHO, is ensuring that the Junior grades are getting coached and learning the skills that they need.

I stole this from Mick Byrne

“At the end of the day, your players need to be able to run, catch, pass, pass over either foot maintaining pace, tackle left shoulder, tackle right shoulder with foot in close leg drive, get low body height, clean out the rucks with low body height”

While I know this doesn't directly answer your question, I just don't think there are any quick fixes. And before people jump all over me because I'm from NZ, I am concerned that Aotearoa is possibly not far behind following Australia.

HogansHeros

Bob Loudon (25)

Im not really sure what you mean? Rugby has existed along side League and AFL for a long time. I have never watched Rugby because I get to watch Aussie teams play NZ and SA teams. I watch Rugby because I love rugby. If the product is competitive and exciting, people who enjoy rugby will watch it. The current set up is not very exciting or competitive and lots of people who I know watched during the more competitive times of Super Rugby are no longer watching. I cant see Super Rugby becoming exciting or competitive anytime soon without major reform. The question is whats the reform thats going to create a better product. I dont agree international teams create a better product in the current form.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

hahaha you said Australians don't believe their Super teams can win... it's why I first responded to you and said you were full of shit. I told you I was done talking with you, and you mentioned me in your post.

I do think your a prat, nothing to do with where you are from, its because you seem to fight with ever poster like a child who just can't let anyone post go...

Just stop... Million bucks says you will reply as you need the last word. every single time..

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

1697169099498.png

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I have been of the mind for many years that the ARU cannot be trusted to look after the finances. They are like politicians who only get excited when something costs over a billion and preferably several billion.
The ARU have had little money over the last 15+ years, yet spend what they have on elite players who are getting paid more than AB's, yet have little of the skill set to go with it. Then they buy league players because they are not happy with youngsters coming out of union schools or clubs.
Then we lose our 'poor' talent to Europe where they often become far better players than when they left.
This to me smacks of gross incompetence in how to run a company with limited funds, they all appear to have come out of organisations where a decision to spend a lot has only a minor impact on the organisation.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
hahaha you said Australians don't believe their Super teams can win... it's why I first responded to you and said you were full of shit. I told you I was done talking with you, and you mentioned me in your post.

I do think your a prat, nothing to do with where you are from, its because you seem to fight with ever poster like a child who just can't let anyone post go...

Just stop... Million bucks says you will reply as you need the last word. every single time..
Most Australian don't think their teams can win against Aotearoa teams.

That doesn't mean they aren't passionate. They've lost hope.

Nothing I've said contradicts that. And I don't give a fuck what you think about me. I've seen your type before and I see right through your 'nothing to do with where you're from' bullshit.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)