• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
So the ARU has a bequest to the tune of $350k annually for the next five years, in order to fund schools rugby.

How much management consulting work can they give to their mates for that sum?

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
Another silly question that has probably already been asked, sorry, but has there ever been any discussion about scheduling a test on a Wednesday night like SoO does?

Just wondering if people think it would work or not?

Reactions: gel

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
So the ARU has a bequest to the tune of $350k annually for the next five years, in order to fund schools rugby.

How much management consulting work can they give to their mates for that sum?

I'd love to see some suits from Accenture line up in the local U16s.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
Another silly question that has probably already been asked, sorry, but has there ever been any discussion about scheduling a test on a Wednesday night like SoO does?

Honestly I don't think it'd work. Not because giving tests space isn't a good idea, but because I'm 100% sure the ARU wouldn't advertise it properly and you'd get 20 people there.

T

TOCC

Midweek would only work if the broadcasters are willing to pay extra for it, which would be needed to offset the losss from match day Income due to inevitably lower crowds.

Not impossible, but not likely

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

there's some support for SoO to move to weekends so more people can get to it.
We have to clear the June test window so super rugby can run uninterrupted and then see what the landscape looks like

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)

They've done it irregularly in the past eg Scotland 5 years ago. Ratings weren't great IIRC but if you played a bled it might be a different story.

I think one of the big issues is you could probably only do it for a series agaisnt one team as the opposition need to play the week before and week after.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Leone Nakarawa was on a pittance when he was first playing for Glasgow, yet he had a good dozen or so Fijian Senior Caps.

Obviously he's a major outlier on pure talent, but, it does suggest there's stuff there.

Nayacalevu was playing in Melbourne after getting his Fiji Sevens caps as well, he could have been good for the Rebels, or whomever could take a punt on him.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
They've done it irregularly in the past eg Scotland 5 years ago. Ratings weren't great IIRC but if you played a bled it might be a different story.

I think one of the big issues is you could probably only do it for a series agaisnt one team as the opposition need to play the week before and week after.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Back in the mid 90s there were a few tests played on a Wednesday night. One of which was the Bledisloe where Gregan made THAT tackle to deny the ABs the win.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Back in the mid 90s there were a few tests played on a Wednesday night. One of which was the Bledisloe where Gregan made THAT tackle to deny the ABs the win.

Ah yes, 1994 - the last year of amateur rugby, when countries did full tours including state and other matches. The Lions tours is the last one of these left in world rugby.

In 1994, Ireland made a full 8 match tour of Australia including 2 tests, Italy made an 8 match tour of Australia including 2 tests and Somoa made a 5 match tour of Australia including one test. France made an 8 match tour of NZ including 2 test matches and South Africa made a 14 match tour of NZ including 3 tests.

The one off Bledisloe of that year seems almost an afterthought and was indeed played on a Wednesday night in Sydney.

One wonders whether the full Lions type tours are in fact a better model for international rugby.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Can you see any of them getting in their M-Bs and driving to Orange for a weekend thanking and sitting with the Emus over a sausage and a coldie? And listening gently to them?

Not with the administrators that we have these days. If they went at all it would be like the visit of a feudal landlord to the tenant farmers demanding tribute and homage.

I've recently had cause to look back to 1994 courtesy of another poster's comments.

In addition to the tests, Ireland played and game in Mt Isa and in Lismore, Perth and Canberra, Italy played games in Towoomba, Nowra, Darwin, Adelaide, and Melbourne, while Samoa played games in Melbourne, Canberra and Newcastle.

I'll bet that some of those fields were of the same standard as the one which the Wallabies refused to train in in Orange.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Not with the administrators that we have these days. If they went at all it would be like the visit of a feudal landlord to the tenant farmers demanding tribute and homage.

I've recently had cause to look back to 1994 courtesy of another poster's comments.

In addition to the tests, Ireland played and game in Mt Isa and in Lismore, Perth and Canberra, Italy played games in Towoomba, Nowra, Darwin, Adelaide, and Melbourne, while Samoa played games in Melbourne, Canberra and Newcastle.

I'll bet that some of those fields were of the same standard as the one which the Wallabies refused to train in in Orange.

In late 2014 the Melbourne Rising played a game in Orange against NSW Country and Pulver and Clarke each flew in for the weekend with their wives to watch the game and joined the boys for a pubfest after the match.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
One wonders whether the full Lions type tours are in fact a better model for international rugby.

They only work when the team touring is a big enough drawcard that the midweek matches and other non-test matches draw huge crowds and are profit making events in themselves.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
In late 2014 the Melbourne Rising played a game in Orange against NSW Country and Pulver and Clarke each flew in for the weekend with their wives to watch the game and joined the boys for a pubfest after the match.

That seems a very different account of the event from the one described in #1569

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
They only work when the team touring is a big enough drawcard that the midweek matches and other non-test matches draw huge crowds and are profit making events in themselves.

I'd imagine that the people of Nowra, Darwin, Toowoomba, Mt Isa, Lismore, Newcastle and Adelaide would have appreciated the international attention that such matches brought. I think that you are confusing interest and exposure for the game with profit. If things are done well at the lower to mid levels then the profit will come at the top level from having more supporters watching on TV, going to the grounds, buying merchandise, etc.

Reactions: dru

One eyed pirate

Ward Prentice (10)
Wallabies looked average against Italy despite the win.......im starting to wonder about Cheika.....and worried about facing the ABs shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
On the one hand, Italy were a lot better than I for one expected.
The Italians defence was very poor. Let's not sugar-coat things. Plainly, the Aussies aren't going that well right now.

While they have a better scrum than ours, this Italian team has a 16% win record since the last world cup. And they weren't far off winning on Saturday.

If the Wallabies had lost to them (at home on a perfectly dry track) then I suspect even you, Wambers, might feel like asking a few questions.

Or maybe not.