• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
And let’s not forget it was his poor defensive read that cost us the RWC 03

I’m not normally a fan of blaming a single player for a loss, but am willing to make an exception in this case, since he’s now also cost us the RWC 23 as well

Burn him!
He’s shouldn’t even have been starting! …

George Smith was always elite…. I always thought that “two 7s on the field”, experiment was so stupid.

Last edited:

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
And let’s not forget it was his poor defensive read that cost us the RWC 03

I’m not normally a fan of blaming a single player for a loss, but am willing to make an exception in this case, since he’s now also cost us the RWC 23 as well

Burn him!

Sorry, what?

When was this exactly?

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
That 2GB interview doesn't paint a good picture of Waugh - says it would've been disloyal of Eddie to have taken the interview (and potentially a breach of contract) but refuses to talk to the Japanese union to find out.

I've never been a big fan of Waugh as CEO but doesn't anyone think he's anyone but a lightweight at this stage?

He’s Rugby Australia’s first Nepobaby

HooperPocockSmith

Bill Watson (15)

Just another club with money to take our talent
I wouldn't be too worried about expansion into PNG. A lot of leaguies are already worried that their talent pool is spread too thin with 17 teams. They will have to work very hard to get players to sign up, and whilst some good players are coming out of PNG, the talent shortfall would have to be supplemented for the first 5-10 years.

I'd be more concerned if it were a second NZ team.

HooperPocockSmith

Bill Watson (15)
I hope for our sake that Vlandys continues his quest for dominance via unfettered expansion. The Dolphins was a no-brainer - a second team in a city of 2.5m. The next one won't be as easy.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
20m coming out of the foreign aid budget to pay for a PNG NRL side. You’d think their might be a better use. Even nationally with what we’ve just been going through for the past 4 months.

PNG might love it but they don’t produce a enough players to sustain a team. No marquee is going to go there without being above the 1.5m mark and that’s if they are based in Australia. Make it 2m starting if you want us to be in Port Moresby. Half the poor souls already say they get homesick when being interstate or god forbid Auckland.

Last edited:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Even at $20million, the geo-political benefits of including PNG in the NRL outweigh the cost by a significant margin.

but if the NRL were to do it, I’d say they’d attempt some half baked idea like the Moana Pasifika and base the PNG team somewhere in Australia.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
So there’s going to be a team nobody really cares about. Takes a game to PNG every now and again to seem legit.

Going to full of NSW/QLD cup standard blokes looking for a gig.

The NRL could take a good audience of fans if they re engaged the old North Sydney fans through the Bears in a new location like Perth. A large chunk of Rugby fans who are fairly off the sport at the moment. It’s an area AFL Is definitely after.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
20m coming out of the foreign aid budget to pay for a PNG NRL side. You’d think their might be a better use. Even nationally with what we’ve just been going through for the past 4 months.

PNG might love it but they don’t produce a enough players to sustain a team. No marquee is going to go there without being above the 1.5m mark and that’s if they are based in Australia. Make it 2m starting if you want us to be in Port Moresby. Half the poor souls already say they get homesick when being interstate or god forbid Auckland.

i honestly don’t think the $20m has a better use & I’m not attacking you at all. As I’ve said a few times I know someone quite well who lives & works in PM (not Pacsports related) & by far png need the most help followed by the soloman islands.

Im just happy we support our region. Would I prefer a bit more to go to my fav game yes but is a good program & it’s good a good thing that now both left & right govt. have supported.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
i honestly don’t think the $20m has a better use & I’m not attacking you at all. As I’ve said a few times I know someone quite well who lives & works in PM (not Pacsports related) & by far png need the most help followed by the soloman islands.

Im just happy we support our region. Would I prefer a bit more to go to my fav game yes but is a good program & it’s good a good thing that now both left & right govt. have supported.
Fair point. I’m more of the opinion we have communities that need 20m as well. I understand it’s designated for foreign aid.

Anyways back to the Rugby…

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Fair point. I’m more of the opinion we have communities that need 20m as well. I understand it’s designated for foreign aid.
Truth is it's not really about PNG or sport. It's about China and making sure we have a friendly doormat if (when?) it all goes tits up in Taiwan. Same reason we are spending money on the Drua. It's certainly not because Albanese gives a toss about the quality of Super Rugby Pacific.

All this is certainly of relevance to Rugby Union. It's the only sport that links the Pacific together (with Japan as well) and I hope we are hiring some lobbyists to emphasise the opportunity here to the mopes in Parliament House.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Look I get all that. We’re giving Gilberts and Steedens while they give highways and hospitals.

The more teams that exist the bigger the talent grab. Bigger TV deals = higher League salaries.