• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Campo is 100% not one of the brightest rugby brains in Australia.

Other option might be Rod Kafer, Eddie has described him before as the most tactically astute player he ever worked with. Don't think he ever would have played with Fitzsimons though.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Campo is 100% not one of the brightest rugby brains in Australia.

Other option might be Rod Kafer, Eddie has described him before as the most tactically astute player he ever worked with. Don't think he ever would have played with Fitzsimons though.
I agree - but you have to remember this is 'brightest in Eddie's opinion', so who knows what he thinks about whom

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I have been consulting the most intellectual rugby person in Australia to support my selection or contest them. I can’t tell you his name because I’d be breaking his confidence. You’ve played with him. He’s the brightest rugby brain in Australia. I’ve had more meetings with him than with a nominated selector, and they’re the people you want helping you, so I don’t buy into that at all.

Anyone else think that this is a complete crock of shit from EJ (Eddie Jones)? Who refers to someone as the most intellectual rugby person in Australia? What is he, a teenager?

And this whole business of having all the selection authority is rubbish. There has to be a counter balancing force against the worst impulses of a coach, especially if there are players who are on his shit list for whatever reason.

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I agree - but you have to remember this is 'brightest in Eddie's opinion', so who knows what he thinks about whom
Campo has spent the last three weeks on one of his self-indulgent international media tours shitting all over Eddie though. So it would have be a bit odd for Eddie to turn around and sing his praises now. I just cannot imagine a guy who can't understand why international teams kick the ball being described as a bright rugby brain.

Equally from the same interview: "Contradictions are a part of life."

I gave up on reading too much into Eddie interviews long ago. I think he'll stay if we centralise/align/optimise whatever you want to call it and leave if we don't.

Would love to see Link bought back into the fold in a proper capacity no matter what.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Whoever it is I don't think it's tenable to have an unnamed outside voice without accountability in that selector role, not if they're as important and involved as Eddie seems to suggest they are. While I haven't disagreed with Eddie's selections anywhere near as much as most, I think it's entirely unacceptable for Eddie to hand wave away any suggestion of oversight off the back of these conversations.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I can't believe bloody Peter V'landys is off wining and dining with the Aust PM and US President when his Kangaroo players are not singing anthems, posing with drugs or smashing people in the head at carnival tournaments.
Seems in character TBH

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Whoever it is I don't think it's tenable to have an unnamed outside voice without accountability in that selector role, not if they're as important and involved as Eddie seems to suggest they are. While I haven't disagreed with Eddie's selections anywhere near as much as most, I think it's entirely unacceptable for Eddie to hand wave away any suggestion of oversight off the back of these conversations.
Sometimes you need a sounding board to work through your big decisions

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
It would explain some of Eddie's selections and tactics if he was speaking to Campo.

I'm not keen on the lack of transparency here. How is this being translated to the players? Are they aware of what the selection process is and what the requirements for selection are?

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Sometimes you need a sounding board to work through your big decisions
I don't have an issue with that, I have a problem with Eddie using it as an excuse for not having any oversight or official selectors to work with. I don't think it's good enough for Eddie to say I've got a great selector I'm working with but can't tell you who it is. It's all a bit "my girlfriend goes to another school, you wouldn't know her".

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I don't have an issue with that, I have a problem with Eddie using it as an excuse for not having any oversight or official selectors to work with. I don't think it's good enough for Eddie to say I've got a great selector I'm working with but can't tell you who it is. It's all a bit "my girlfriend goes to another school, you wouldn't know her".
The issue I have is talking about it

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Anyone else think that this is a complete crock of shit from EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones)? Who refers to someone as the most intellectual rugby person in Australia? What is he, a teenager?

And this whole business of having all the selection authority is rubbish. There has to be a counter balancing force against the worst impulses of a coach, especially if there are players who are on his shit list for whatever reason.
It's not a crock of shit. 100% true.