• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

The Great Dissenter

Frank Nicholson (4)
Administrators have been trying to popularise rugby league in the U.S. since the 1930s, to no avail. Perhaps re-releasing the Wiggles song with the new, and more diverse, line-up will do the trick.

Slayer!

Allen Oxlade (6)
So stupid, they really think America is gonna drop everything and suddenly embrace rugby league… the arrogance is amazing
What happens is Americans think "gee, this rugby looks interesting - where can I see more"...and helpfully, Major League Rugby is happening that weekend.
Might be some bigger crowds at Legion and Freejacks games (which, tbh are already bigger than Brumbies and Waratahs crowds...)

Slayer!

Allen Oxlade (6)
One thing that concerns me - and please educate me!

Brumbies are on the verge of bankruptcy, but want to maintain commercial independence, but are relying an increase in funding from Rugby Australia.

There is a line that the black hole in the brumbies books is of RAs making - because they reduced funding amount.

I can't see how this is not ... not sure of the right word here? Ironic?

Governing body wants to step in and take financial control of your business because your broke. You say your broke because the governing body isn't paying me enough and noone is turning up to our games....Governing body "yeh that's the point".
"Gee, nice windows on your restaurant. Be a real shame if anything happened to them..."

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
What happens is Americans think "gee, this rugby looks interesting - where can I see more"...and helpfully, Major League Rugby is happening that weekend.
Might be some bigger crowds at Legion and Freejacks games (which, tbh are already bigger than Brumbies and Waratahs crowds...)
What are the Brumby crowds? MLR average is about 3000.

San Diego has definitely the biggest crowds in MLR. Getting above 7k most games and two above 10k. Having their NFL team taken away might have helped.

MLR should book in a few games for the following weekend in Vegas.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
What are the Brumby crowds? MLR average is about 3000.

San Diego has definitely the biggest crowds in MLR. Getting above 7k most games and two above 10k. Having their NFL team taken away might have helped.

MLR should book in a few games for the following weekend in Vegas.
Brums & rebs stopped releasing crowd figures post covid

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
Yeah not league tho

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
$30million for QRU at Ballymore (still more to come)
$25million for Rugby Australia at Moore Park
$25million for NSWRugby at Daceyville
$30million* for VicRugby at Latrobe

$65M to help get the Eels new facility built in Kellyville for Renegades Rugby.... The list goes on...

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Brums & rebs stopped releasing crowd figures post covid
Rubbish. The Rebels might have stopped releasing them but the Brumbies haven’t. They were sitting around the 8-8500 mark. A few up around 10k. Brums crowds probably increased by approx 15-20% over the last couple of years.

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Priority 1 for RA should be hiring a competent high performance manager who is a likeable human being that can be in the room for these meetings. I'm no fan of the Brumbies executive team (which I see as separate to their excellent rugby operations).

But this is absolutely correct: "We need to make sure we have a high-performance plan agreed to so we can all move in the right direction. To do that, you need the right people in place at Rugby Australia with the right skill and capacity to bring people together. Those people don't currently exist at Rugby Australia. That has to be a priority."

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
You guys are going to get us sued if you keep posting full articles on here. Please consider only posting the relevant sections or even better write the clif notes for us.
Brumbies have republished the Canberra Times articles outside of the pay wall here:

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Doing bits for the independence of the Times.

Anyway, it does irk me a bit that the Brumbies (and by that, I mean their board and executive team) in particular pretend like they bear no responsibility for the breakdown in relationship with RA. It ignores that they (and the other states) have had their heads buried in the sand for so many years now. There is a context here, which is a lack of mutual trust because the states have been resistant to change for so, so long.

Don't want that to be taken as me trying to pull focus away from RA - no doubt they deserve the biggest share of the blame. But one day an extensive history of the last 20 years will be written, either as a eulogy for a dead sport or as the period from which we re-emerged. And I think everyone at a management level involved in professional rugby in the country will come out looking terrible, not just the Moore Park lot.

Last edited:

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Doing bits for the independence of the Times.

Anyway, it does irk me a bit that the Brumbies (and by that, I mean their board and executive team) in particular pretend like they bear no responsibility for the breakdown in relationship with Rugby Australia. It ignores that they (and the other states) have had their heads buried in the sand for so many years now. There is a context here, which is a lack of mutual trust because the states have been resistant to change for so, so long.

Don't want that to be taken as me trying to pull focus away from Rugby Australia - no doubt they deserve the biggest share of the blame.
Hasn't this been the Brumbies' MO forever? An insular, "us vs them" approach to anything and everything. A bit tiresome tbh

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Hasn't this been the Brumbies' MO forever? An insular, "us vs them" approach to anything and everything. A bit tiresome tbh

Yep. And it is time a lot of people put away the measuring tape and started figuring out how to make rugby great again.

Leave your identity and some of your corporate management around identity where it is - even if it's Us v Them.

We need a consolidated approach to trimming the fat across the franchises and putting the game first. Not sure all the egos are going to handle it weill.