• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
IMG_9494.jpeg

I like this move.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
lmao. git gud, son. Reliable dodge for Firefox, or Chrome (cringe).

The article.
That article is so incredibly dumb.

While some players may go, it can be argued that more players will pick rugby.

Put your self in the shoes of a talented 18 year old you have the choice rugby or league. You can pick rugby knowing you can go back and get 1m outside the cap to play NRL. Once in rugby it is easier to sell the opportunities the game provides that league doesn’t.

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
Yes great by Waugh.
The signing was a mistake
Money not spent on youth where the real battle is. Inflates player expectations. Is JS actually going to get more excitement than Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) generates now? Jorgo in 3 years?
Personally wouldn’t complain if JS said inwant out and they let him go.
Take that $5M and lock in some 16-18 year old talent
Yes.
I never got the logic of JS. Phenomenal athlete for sure but not really bringing any TV eyeballs with him.
Folau was an NRL icon so that made more sense.
As were Sailor and Co.

Glad Waugh (presumably) put his foot down regarding the former Scots inside centre.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Anyone got access to yesterday's AFR Rear window article on MClennan?

same as the fitz article in today's SMH?

dont suscribe so dont have access behind the paywall.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Different articles.

Fitz attempt to be witty. Nothing we don't already know and talks about competing codes and why bother.

Most interesting thing about the AFR article is the mention that Harrison was/is applying for the Director of High-Performance role. Should we have someone conducting the review who wants the job? I don't know the answer.... thoughts?

Also sounds like the Hammer might be feeling some of the heat.
"Then, last week, McLennan told Stan Sport: “I’d say to all of the rugby fans and the stakeholders – certainly, again, I apologise for what happened through the World Cup.”

Make no mistake, someone – certainly not his wife – tapped McLennan on the shoulder and said: “mate, you’re being a goose.”

sadly it does then say;
"Still, the mask always has the habit of slipping. In the same interview with rugby broadcaster Nick McCardle, McLennan was asked about his sweeping centralisation reforms at Rugby Australia. He noted it was a “great question” because it was “important to the ongoing success and planning of the game” and that “the average person on the street doesn’t understand the nuances”.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Yes.
I never got the logic of JS. Phenomenal athlete for sure but not really bringing any TV eyeballs with him.
Folau was an NRL icon so that made more sense.
As were Sailor and Co.

Glad Waugh (presumably) put his foot down regarding the former Scots inside centre.

Hopefully it is a benefactor but agree nevertheless (no surprise as you’re agreeing with me).

I’d note that “staying in rugby” doesn’t necessarily equate to staying in the Australia set up these days.
Do 2-4 years in super and get a France, English, Irish, Japanese contract and not only will we not select you but you’ll make more money there and can eventually play for another country.
I’d you’re good enough to be a wallaby you’re probably good enough to be making 500k-1m up north

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
Hooper was only ever going to be a forward. He still has that explosive 0-to-5m speed coming off the ruck, that would have made him one of the most lethal backrowers in the NRL if he’d gone there

Exploiting that newfound space to make a break and offload to someone else with longline speed is what he’s going to be doing. And my-oh-my, I can’t wait…

Along with having one of the best and most enduring motors of any forward I could care to name like Ray Price and Micheal Jones.

wamberal99

Syd Malcolm (24)
Exactly when this was first suggested a couple of months ago I thought he just needs someone always on his hip. He’ll scoot out and beat most over 10m or go through some of the 7s guys (he is a better Rugby player) and find someone with the 80m wheels.

Rather we have a spot for Hooper than the project players like Trae… who do take someone’s place.
I would trust John Manenti to know whom to pick.