• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
The top 50 earners for rugby globally would also be on that. Apples to apples.
The top 50 players would make close to double the super rugby salary caps for Aus sides.

Nobody is disputing that there is more money in international rugby. But we have to compete in a domestic market. Where the financial growth of the AFl is going to pose an even greater issue

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
frankly it's not the salaries of the highest paid AFL players that concerns me for the future of Australian Rugby, it's everything else the AFL spends money on that does
I get your point, I was just using the salaries to show the financial growth. But you are right it’s the money they put into the grass roots that is the issue

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yeah - it's the "$89.7million to Game Development" that creates the unstoppable monster
The problem is the NRL and RA are lazy. You talk to people in the AFL heartlands they talk about funding cuts over reliance on volunteers. Issues retaining players.

All the development money gets spent in NSW and Queensland.

This is particularly having an impact on rugby. We need to focus on our pathways, we need to look to counter attack and invest in AFL areas

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
The AFL is getting a 225m dollar handout to help make the AFL owned Marvel Stadium more profitable. It really is a case of the rich getting richer
IMG_6208.jpeg

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
A privately owned asset which brings an immense amount of revenue into the state
While I get the economics of it. It will make things even harder for rugby in Aus. Where will the AFL put that money? Into the grassroots game in NSW and Queensland

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
lol obviously the government money will go into the redevelopment. But when that happens and the ground is generating income 365 days of the year and not just when sporting events are on where will that money get spent? On growing the game

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
lol obviously the government money will go into the redevelopment. But when that happens and the ground is generating income 365 days of the year and not just when sporting events are on where will that money get spent? On growing the game

Sorry, deleted my prior comment... but yes...

Real estate is good.

AFL is going to profit, and the Docklands will hopefully be transformed from the barren ghost lands it is now to a 24/7 entertainment/dining/major events precinct.

Rebels* fans will benefit from the new Moon Dog pub being built on the western side prior to the Lions tour.

Last edited:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
i'm just jealous that rugby isn't doing the same.

QRU can now develop part of Ballymore for Allied Health and lease out some existing office space, but easier said then done and not nearly to the same scale as what AFL is doing at Docklands

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
The benefit of a super rugby au season after a SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) season would be 1) can play at maybe more profitable boutique stadiums, if you miss wallaby players, you’re playing against other teams missing wallaby players so it’s even.

could make super pacific home and away for 22 games and home and away super au for 8 games
I think you have issues getting people involved in super au as it’s a second tier comp by right.
My answer remains full home and away super season. 11 games at home. Then finals open to 8 teams with a bye round so max games is 25
Add in a champions league v Japan teams.
end up with like 35 games or so.

if that’s too much make SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) a conference system. Home and away against conference for 10 games plus one game against nz conference for a total of 15 games, plus finals plus champions league.
Sell the champions league to Tokyo, Sydney, Melbourne and Auckland

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
i'm just jealous that rugby isn't doing the same.

QRU can now develop part of Ballymore for Allied Health and lease out some existing office space, but easier said then done and not nearly to the same scale as what AFL is doing at Docklands
The NRL and AFL are diversifying their income streams. Where as rugby relies more on the game sadly

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Got to love the Betoota Advocate. More Jane Austen charater names will help out.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Got to love the Betoota Advocate. More Jane Austen charater names will help out.

Darby Lancaster, Klayton Thorn and Declan Meredith coming through to save Australian rugby

Top Bottom