• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
You can sum up the RA problem with this message. Someone who says that the Sua'ali'i salary is too much money for a broke entity like RA and you could direct that donation to grassroot, is a moron. Pretty good. Congrats!

Let me tell you, I'm a Waratahs supporter if you didn't see my profile picture and my comments everyday. So I am one of the "winners" with Sua'ali'i-gate. First of all I can't see the Tahs problems being solved with a winger (We need a whole new team but that's other topic) and I say winger cause I can't see Sua'ali'i playing in other position.

On the other hand, I'm a Roosters supporter so I watch all the Chooks games. We celebrated the 300th JWH game beating the Wahs (Warriors). Many Leaguies blame Sua'ali'i cause he is not good enough in defence. Imagine him playing against the Kiwis in Super Rugby or Yawnion as they call our game, that is a more tricky game in defence cause you have to compete at the breakdown and you don't have those 10 meters in every phase. The kid is a hell of a player with the ball in hands and he can kick to the posts, something you miss nowadays in Aussie Super Rugby sides but I think he isn't the saviour.
Marce I love your sharp rugby mind and passion but please understand this- the vast majority of his contract is not getting paid by Rugby Australia (they would not pay that much for him).

They are essentially leveraging free money for something with potential huge benefit. They cannot dictate where this money goes- it has significant strings attached.

No one thinks we will be the savior but fingers cross he ends up being an asset.

Linerunner2023

Jimmy Flynn (14)
You can sum up the RA problem with this message. Someone who says that the Sua'ali'i salary is too much money for a broke entity like RA and you could direct that donation to grassroot, is a moron. Pretty good. Congrats!

Let me tell you, I'm a Waratahs supporter if you didn't see my profile picture and my comments everyday. So I am one of the "winners" with Sua'ali'i-gate. First of all I can't see the Tahs problems being solved with a winger (We need a whole new team but that's other topic) and I say winger cause I can't see Sua'ali'i playing in other position.

On the other hand, I'm a Roosters supporter so I watch all the Chooks games. We celebrated the 300th JWH game beating the Wahs (Warriors). Many Leaguies blame Sua'ali'i cause he is not good enough in defence. Imagine him playing against the Kiwis in Super Rugby or Yawnion as they call our game, that is a more tricky game in defence cause you have to compete at the breakdown and you don't have those 10 meters in every phase. The kid is a hell of a player with the ball in hands and he can kick to the posts, something you miss nowadays in Aussie Super Rugby sides but I think he isn't the saviour.
We must be watching someone different? Also as a chooks supporter I don’t rate Sua'ali'i in attack at all, apart from a big body who runs it straight many are calling for him to go to the back row as he doesn’t offer anything else! He is not quick so wing is questionable, I can’t remember when he has broken tackles, broke the lines or got a fend or step away either!
Doesn’t offer any passing game either so maybe wing is it as centre and fullback would not work!
And his defence is worse! He wasn’t in the chooks 17 at the start of the year running at fullback in the nsw cup side until Billy smith got injured. A players who is on $250k had 2 or 3 acl injuries and barely played a match was in front of him at centre until he got injured.
I know Aus rugby hasn’t spent all rhe money but the $750k he is on at the chooks I feel he is worth half of that
Maybe it’s rugby league but coming off the back fence for a 10mtr hit up into contact isn’t really a union way. He has put on size but maybe getting put straight into first grade made him learn how to survive only and add size and not develop his game in under 20s

Last edited:

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Tahs pay min $220k salary, RA matches this $220k. As per standard, the contract includes match payments for 13 Wallaby games a year, paid on appearance ($12k per game?) = $160k
Forgot to mention this yesterday, but this is basically how I reckon Jorgensen contract adds up as well.

The Tahs component include 14 X ($3k?) match payments on appearance as well.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I tend to agree. For a guy who has been talked up as a union/ league prodigy for the last five years, and is an outside back at that, he’s one of the least threatening ball runners I’ve seen. There‘s no footwork or agility and he doesn’t seem super skilled.
So is the donor the biggest moron in rugby history? Lol

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Tahs pay min $220k salary, RA matches this $220k. As per standard, the contract includes match payments for 13 Wallaby games a year, paid on appearance ($12k per game?) = $160k
Nicely put Strewth and paints a clear picture here.

If we compeltely take out the Foundation money and try and compare Apples to Apples, is the $440k being paid to Sua'ali'i really that bad compared to the other options we have in positions he might play?

I'm speculating this $440k is more than Perese or Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase), but I can only imagine its within $50-$100k.

Is that the level of money everyone is getting their knickers in a knot about? All this wasted oxygen over a couple hundred grand over a kid who may be worth it?

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
So is the donor the biggest moron in rugby history? Lol
Dude, calm down. People with alot of money want him playing rugby for the Tahs. They spend their money however they want this. Calling them morons and the like doesn't help, and your continuous posting with the same message is tiring.

They did it for Izzy, Pocock, and shock horror Pasitoia. They probably did it for Tongan Thor. The money doesn't automatically go to other players if it gets canned. It goes to no one; it stays with the people who were going to spend it.

Now if you think there stupid, and think the money is better spent else were, you put down a million a season and spend it however you like. If you can't then stfu.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
These people with money are probably also funding grassroots. It's not an either/or

i don't know if the Sukkars are one of the wealthy benefactors, but they could be, and they also have a long extensive history of grassroots sponsorship. they are probably the biggest supporters of women's rugby in the country.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Dude, calm down. People with alot of money want him playing rugby for the Tahs. They spend their money however they want this. Calling them morons and the like doesn't help, and your continuous posting with the same message is tiring.

They did it for Izzy, Pocock, and shock horror Pasitoia. They probably did it for Tongan Thor. The money doesn't automatically go to other players if it gets canned. It goes to no one; it stays with the people who were going to spend it.

Now if you think there stupid, and think the money is better spent else were, you put down a million a season and spend it however you like. If you can't then stfu.
Can add these benefactors have also funded plenty of out of school contracts to players that were offered contracts by league clubs. Will Harrison and Edmed both 2 I know that were kept in the game because our systems don’t have the resources to retain some players and compete out of school.

Raytah

Herbert Moran (7)
The JS deal will be an accretive financial investment for RA.

I dont think that is fanciful - it's clear anything his name is on cuts through in NSW. He will be on every ad/billboard nationwide over three years into a lions series & home world cup. Incremental bums on seats, merch sales, eyeballs / broadcast subs, direct/indirect ad revenues will comfortably cover his salary.

It may create discontent with other players, but reality is there isn't anyone else in Aus rugby capable of the same effect atm. If he's great on the field, that's a bonus.

I'm with McClennan on this one.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

I dont think that is fanciful - it's clear anything his name is on cuts through in NSW. He will be on every ad/billboard nationwide over three years into a lions series & home world cup. Incremental bums on seats, merch sales, eyeballs / broadcast subs, direct/indirect ad revenues will comfortably cover his salary.

It may create discontent with other players, but reality is there isn't anyone else in Aus rugby capable of the same effect atm. If he's great on the field, that's a bonus.

1715654445280.png

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Does his name cut through? It's faded a lot IMO after it became apparent he's a mid-tier NRL centre and not the world beating fullback he was predicted to be.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Tbf he does have Tedesco and Manu in the same backline who have been top 5 players in the world for years. I think his efforts for Samoa at the last RLWC showed what he has the potential to do when a focus of the attack. He's more a piece at the Roosters

Linerunner2023

Jimmy Flynn (14)
We must be watching someone different? Also as a chooks supporter I don’t rate Sua'ali'i in attack at all, apart from a big body who runs it straight many are calling for him to go to the back row as he doesn’t offer anything else! He is not quick so wing is questionable, I can’t remember when he has broken tackles, broke the lines or got a fend or step away either! And his defence is worse! He wasn’t in the chooks 17 at the start of the year running at fullback in the nsw cup side until Billy smith got injured. A players who is on $250k had 2 or 3 acl injuries and barely played a match was in front of him at centre until he got injured.
I know Aus rugby hasn’t spent all rhe money but the $750k he is on at the chooks I feel he is worth half of that

And where is McClennan now?
interesting so you think the wallabies and Aus rugby need JS to help sell lions tickets and RWC tickets? They are selling themselves for big money
The wallabies are capable of selling tickets before JS comes on board, and I highly doubt fans at nsw Waratahs will flock to alliance in droves as Sua'ali'i is there
It’s rugbys fault - super rugby that’s its archaic lack of promoting and marketing for the lack of coverage on current players - maybe if rugby stopped shooting itself in the foot and looked where afl and nrl are at now

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Does his name cut through? It's faded a lot IMO after it became apparent he's a mid-tier NRL centre and not the world beating fullback he was predicted to be.
To be fair they did spend 5mins on NRL 360 talking about him the other day when they named him in origin mock teams. He’s been pretty decent this year

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)