• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I don't buy that they would sack Cheika and replace him with Larkham. If however Cheika were to walk and everyone else stayed then Larkham would most likely become the head coach by default, temporary or permanent. So perhaps that is what has happened if the rumour is true and, as you imply, they are looking for a better option.

Interestingly Pocock has publicly stated his support for Cheika at yesterday's RUPA awards.
Players have always supported him.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I hope so - incentive based 12 month contract with potential for extension if he achieves certain result.

The only scenario in which Cheika is sacked that would be an improvement would be the appointment of an experienced coach who has proven success at international level. To sack Cheika and appoint someone like Larkham does more long term damage than keeping Cheika, no matter what the results at RWC 2019.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The only scenario in which Cheika is sacked that would be an improvement would be the appointment of an experienced coach who has proven success at international level. To sack Cheika and appoint someone like Larkham does more long term damage than keeping Cheika, no matter what the results at RWC 2019.
Larkham would be the most undeserving tier 1 international coach in history.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Players have always supported him.

I think that the players recognise that he is in it for them and he supports them in public. Pocock is also intelligent enough to realise that there are other long term factors responsible for the results such as the title of this thread.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Bring White in to mentor Larkham. White is HC and Bernie remains an assistant alongside new defence and set piece people.
It could work.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Bring White in to mentor Larkham. White is HC and Bernie remains an assistant alongside new defence and set piece people.
It could work.
As long as they are both on a one year contract so we can fob them off for a good option once they all start becoming available post RWC/European club season.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I dunno, if there was serious dissatisfaction with him i think we would be hearing murmurs of disunity at the very least. Pressure on Cheika is mostly external.

That's right, I wasn't suggesting he'd come out and publicly bag him but it was a fairly in depth statement in his defence. I'm sure they've all had media training on how to avoid topics they're uncomfortable talking about.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I dunno, if there was serious dissatisfaction with him i think we would be hearing murmurs of disunity at the very least. Pressure on Cheika is mostly external.

Apparently there was "mixed player feedback" in the RA review suggesting their is dissatisfaction with him in the playing group, but regardless of what the players think none of them are going to publicly come out and not state their support for the coach............. that's career suicide.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Could it be that Larkham will be given the job only for the World Cup, after which it will be given to the prodigal son of Australian Rugby.......

Eddie Jones.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
If the rumour mill is gaining momentum then you'd expect they'll come out and nip it in the bud either way sooner rather than later. But it's RA we're talking about..

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Larkham would be the most undeserving tier 1 international coach in history.
Few others would like a word......

nmg1ebtcg9bkzgsbbkk5

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
whatever happens, oz needs a new defence coach, maybe Peter Ryan will be called up cause he did a good job for Fiji against france last month..Grey's time should be up by now...

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I don't buy that they would sack Cheika and replace him with Larkham. If however Cheika were to walk and everyone else stayed then Larkham would most likely become the head coach by default, temporary or permanent. So perhaps that is what has happened if the rumour is true and, as you imply, they are looking for a better option.

Interestingly Pocock has publicly stated his support for Cheika at yesterday's RUPA awards.

KOB, my take on it (and I have no inside info at all) is that neither Raelene nor Clyne were ready for the contingency where the rest, or majority, of the Board had had enough and wanted Cheika to go because his results were simply not up to scratch and they had at last given up on THE PLAN for the RWC. In those circumstances, Raelene nor Clyne had taken a fall back position to the board, expecting their support for Cheika to be acquiesced.

Now they are scratching around to see whether someone else is available and keen, or if Larkham wants the poisoned chalice. I would not be at all surprised if Larkham hadn't even been sounded out about the position if it became available.

I don't have the same take as you on Poey's comments either. Essentially, what he is saying is that he thinks Cheika is a good bloke and he (Pocock) has learnt things from him (didn't even stipulate that they were rugby related), but that as a player he was just as much in the dark as the fans and was waiting to see how the Board would deal with the situation. What else would you expect a player to say? And at least, it looks like Poey is actually telling it like he means, not the usual drivel that comes out of the nominated player spokesman.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Not sure this is quite true. Apparently the players' review after the EOYT was not totally complimentary towards Cheika. Specifically, there was unrest at the amount of heavy work in training. Would reinforce perceptions that training is more important to Cheika than game results, and would also explain the myriad injuries the Wallabies experienced in training.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Not sure this is quite true. Apparently the players' review after the EOYT was not totally complimentary towards Cheika. Specifically, there was unrest at the amount of heavy work in training. Would reinforce perceptions that training is more important to Cheika than game results, and would also explain the myriad injuries the Wallabies experienced in training.
This is a weird one. I assume you mean something like; Cheika values players efforts more in training than in the game or something along those lines.

There is no universe where Cheika thinks, in general, that training is more important than results.

Regular soft tissue injuries in training can be a sign of over-training. At the same time, it's been largely reported that the players arrive at camp unfit for test rugby. So maybe its necessary?

Clavis Ruo

Frank Nicholson (4)
The best coach with good recent international experience who is not coaching an international team right now is Vern Cotter. Maybe he and Scott Johnson together? I assume their work together at Scotland was harmonious.