• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
From what i have heard RA is making slight and slow changes behind the scenes towards that model, starting with the central contracting of coaches, of which Jim McKay is the first. The issue is that the state unions are rather sensitive about losing control, so it will be a very slow take over. The McKay situation was the perfect scenario with the QRU struggling for funds, RA saw an opportunity to step in and offer the QRU some financial relief in the form of paying the guys wages, essentially making him an employee of RA and not QRU. The more our clubs are struggling for a few dollars, i think we will find more appointments like this

We need revolution not evolution.

The NSWRU, QRU et al are like the medieval aristocracy in pre-revolutionary France.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Be interesting to see who the coach would be post WC with Johnson probably been the greatest influence in that decision. Since Townsend is signed until 2021, i'd be putting big Vern, Cockerill or Rennie in a list of possible candidates, considering the relationship Johnson has had with each.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
We need revolution not evolution.

The NSWRU, QRU et al are like the medieval aristocracy in pre-revolutionary France.

We? There is no "we". That is the nub of the problem. For a revolution to succeed there has to be some sort of unifying aim, and the revolutionaries have to be willing to make sacrifices.

Unimaginable.

Clavis Ruo

Frank Nicholson (4)
Be interesting to see who the coach would be post WC with Johnson probably been the greatest influence in that decision. Since Townsend is signed until 2021, i'd be putting big Vern, Cockerill or Rennie in a list of possible candidates, considering the relationship Johnson has had with each.

My thoughts exactly.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
We? There is no "we". That is the nub of the problem. For a revolution to succeed there has to be some sort of unifying aim, and the revolutionaries have to be willing to make sacrifices.

Unimaginable.
I can make the necessary sacrifices. I am willing, for the sake of all rugby, to make all the decisions.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm willing to sacrifice all of the other states for the sake of the Brumbies and ACT rugby........ and I don't even live there.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
He's definitely the smallest part of our success and the person I'm happiest to lose from the national set up: There's definitely a reason why he wasn't kept on as Head Coach and shuffled on into the background

Snowy

Frank Nicholson (4)
From what i have heard RA is making slight and slow changes behind the scenes towards that model, starting with the central contracting of coaches, of which Jim McKay is the first. The issue is that the state unions are rather sensitive about losing control, so it will be a very slow take over. The McKay situation was the perfect scenario with the QRU struggling for funds, RA saw an opportunity to step in and offer the QRU some financial relief in the form of paying the guys wages, essentially making him an employee of RA and not QRU. The more our clubs are struggling for a few dollars, i think we will find more appointments like this

Just dont put your IP or super rugby licence down as a deposit like the Force did - i think that might have put centralization and trust in RA back a bit

half

Alan Cameron (40)

Unimaginable.

Sadly I think you are right.

There is not even a consensuses on a model, nor a system. Many simply wish to rearrange the deck chairs by remodelling Super Rugby.

Nor do I see grassroots pushing for change, nor key stakeholder groups pushing for change. The closest thing we have is Alan Jones ranting. Twiggy is kinda there but lacks support among many stakeholders.

The rugby community has lots of tribes and getting everyone on the same page needs both time and visionary leadership. Also leaders who can command respect with their presence and eye for detail.

Until there is a unity in purpose the revolution will never happen, and evolution is not happening.

The examples are plenty around us, look at cricket over the last say 18 months to two years key stakeholders groups forced change, NRL forced change away from News and copied the AFL format then sacked the non performing head, soccer three year civil war forced change.

Also netball & basketball stakeholders forced change in their administrations and competitions.

The common theme with cricket, NRL, soccer, netball, basketball was key stakeholder groups said enough is enough, and a kinda / sorta, model and systems were changed and the governing bodies of these sports were forced into change.

But as you say Wam, rugby does not have the common purpose and key stakeholders seem very reluctant to rock the boat. Maybe thinking they may be removed from the gravy train.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Nor do I see grassroots pushing for change, nor key stakeholder groups pushing for change. The closest thing we have is Alan Jones ranting. Twiggy is kinda there but lacks support among many stakeholders.

Surely the Papworth/Jones/Dwyer "Australian Rugby Clubs Association" was a strong attempt to have all rugby clubs take over decision making from the head honchos at RA?

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Surely the Papworth/Jones/Dwyer "Australian Rugby Clubs Association" was a strong attempt to have all rugby clubs take over decision making from the head honchos at RA?

papworth was or is considered the Eastwood man. Jones a talk back jock who has more haters than lovers.

What you highlight is as I see it individuals, its either united is a sense of common purpose nor does it enjoy popular support. Papworth has far move rugby folk pointing out where he is wrong rather than get on board with his overall message.

An example where was the players union when the Force were given the boot.

What I see hhhmmmm nay what I don't see is key stakeholder groups getting together to in a sense force change in the same way that happened in cricket, NRL & soccer.

Why are the state unions, Super Rugby teams, NRC teams, SS teams, players union, journalist, not forming a kinda coalition to force change. For starters they have no common place they want rugby to be nor IMO do many of these stakeholder groups want change.

Wam, was spot on there is no """we""" for a revolution to start.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Unimaginable.

The unifying aim should be that the game is (a) well run, (b) run for the participants (at all levels including elite and community), (c) unecessary and archaic stuctures become the stuff of history, (d) those running the game are answerable to those participating in the game (pros, amateurs, coaches, refs, players and administrators).

There's no unifying aim at the moment because those in power aren't answerable to the vast majority of the rugby community (elite or community), so nobody buys in to what they are doing and they are slow to respond to the needs of the games. (they being the corporate administration clique)

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I suspect we will see 'the plan' unfold as we head into the RWC campaign and a lot of the last 3 years' head scratches will make more sense.

I take my hat off to you - you have a level of faith that makes Mother Theresa look like an atheist.

If there is a plan for success amongst the current set up, it’s well disguised.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The unifying aim should be that the game is (a) well run, (b) run for the participants (at all levels including elite and community), (c) unecessary and archaic stuctures become the stuff of history, (d) those running the game are answerable to those participating in the game (pros, amateurs, coaches, refs, players and administrators).

There's no unifying aim at the moment because those in power aren't answerable to the vast majority of the rugby community (elite or community), so nobody buys in to what they are doing and they are slow to respond to the needs of the games. (they being the corporate administration clique)

If you pay your registration fee's that should make you an active stakeholder in the game. I absolutely agree with you on pretty much everything you've said. The game should be professionally run and held to account by every single stakeholder. The issue is that those who benefit from the current set up would be out on the arse if they were actually expected to be accountable.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
If you pay your registration fee's that should make you an active stakeholder in the game. I absolutely agree with you on pretty much everything you've said. The game should be professionally run and held to account by every single stakeholder. The issue is that those who benefit from the current set up would be out on the arse if they were actually expected to be accountable.
From what i hear, rego barely covers insurance these days.