• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
In terms of membership numbers they’re not in the same ballpark as Carlton, Collingwood, Richmond or Essendon…

They’re not that much greater than the Doggies.
And never will be, the tradition is you are a member of the MCC if you support Melbourne.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
So the kiwi games are coming and not a lot of confidence on what we have seen so far that WR (World Rugby) will see much change from last years TT…and really given next to bugger all done by NZRU and RA done to align on and address the elephant in the room is it really surprising?

So I hope RA is ready with some comms strategy to address the fallout from this as I would ask RA why should I continue to support super rugby if you are going to give me a flawed product that gives lopsided results between oz and kiwi teams and lack of unpredictability of result!?

RA need to be held to account on this as we have had years of a flawed super rugby product and we can only stay loyal for so long when other choices (other codes or club rugby to follow like Shute shield as alternatives to allocate our limited time to).

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
So the kiwi games are coming and not a lot of confidence on what we have seen so far that WR (World Rugby) will see much change from last years TT…and really given next to bugger all done by NZRU and RA done to align on and address the elephant in the room is it really surprising?

So I hope RA is ready with some comms strategy to address the fallout from this as I would ask RA why should I continue to support super rugby if you are going to give me a flawed product that gives lopsided results between oz and kiwi teams and lack of unpredictability of result!?

RA need to be held to account on this as we have had years of a flawed super rugby product and we can only stay loyal for so long when other choices (other codes or club rugby to follow like Shute shield as alternatives to allocate our limited time to).
What are you expecting? How would you even know we're ready? Wait until a couple games at least.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
What are you expecting? How would you even know we're ready? Wait until a couple games at least.
Better to call it out early expectations as if they RA don’t have a mitigation strategy to mange the fallout it is a concern. I have not seen anything seriously done to address the imbalance hence why calling out concerns. But yes let’s wait and expect something different….maybe this time it will be different….(what’s that….a pig flying backwards)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Maybe I am unrealistic…maybe I am wrong…but I guess what I would like is something like comms from RA and NZRU like ‘we are working together to continually improve the super rugby product and looking at all facets to continue to make this the premier competition in the world’

hey even if the above does not have much substance - lull me into a false sense of security that the product will get better

and then if want to go a step further give some details on things they are considering to make it a better and more even competition with uncertainly of outcome.

Is this too much to expect?

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
It will be a more even competition at least at the top of the ladder RN. The points accumulated by the Aussie teams stand for the whole of the competition. The Reds and Brumbies just need to beat a couple of the NZ sides to be fairly sure of finishing near the top. I think they can both do that.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well I am pretty uncertain who will win comp. And as BR says, I think Reds and Brumbies are capable of knocking over any NZ team. I do agree the way it playing out with Aus/NZ games seperately to start with doesn't help, but covid is causing problems.
And hasn't a tv deal been done with Sky tv up NH for next 4 years, so don't expect too many changes.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
It will be a more even competition at least at the top of the ladder RN. The points accumulated by the Aussie teams stand for the whole of the competition. The Reds and Brumbies just need to beat a couple of the NZ sides to be fairly sure of finishing near the top. I think they can both do that.
Thanks BR - indeed the reds and brumbies are my hope for some better results from oz teams this year.

Monty

Frank Nicholson (4)

Peter Conde appointed as the Chief Performance Officer. Interested to find out what the “…return of a second division he described as a "gap that needs filling"” looks like.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Peter Conde appointed as the Chief Performance Officer. Interested to find out what the “…return of a second division he described as a "gap that needs filling"” looks like.
Well, here's hoping he can make a real difference. I do like the 2nd Div comment.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Can’t help but feeling RA missed a beat by us no longer having something like super rugby Au to give us oz domestic champion. Why couldn’t we have both ie super rugby pacific champion and oz comference champion where local derbies as part of super rugby pacific count towards that. Bit like 6 nations where they have 6 nations champion and triple crown…

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Can’t help but feeling Rugby Australia missed a beat by us no longer having something like super rugby Au to give us oz domestic champion. Why couldn’t we have both ie super rugby pacific champion and oz comference champion where local derbies as part of super rugby pacific count towards that. Bit like 6 nations where they have 6 nations champion and triple crown…

Reason? NZR did not want to play that way.