• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I’d love to see the figures that they’re working with, it seems a no-brainer for us to include Japan/Fiji but I’d be interested to see the feedback for what the broadcast rights in Japan are actually worth. Whilst Japans a potentially lucrative market, the broadcast value doesn’t seem to reflect that so far.

Ultimately adding Fiji/Japan means scrapping the round robin, so the potential value generated from Japan/Fiji fixtures doesn’t offset the loss of one less RSAvNZ or NZvAUS fixture
I'd imagine this is because their salaries are driven by companies willing to burn money compared to our finances which are driven by viewers. So there's a disconnect between their player's salaries and money from broadcast.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd imagine this is because their salaries are driven by companies willing to burn money compared to our finances which are driven by viewers. So there's a disconnect between their player's salaries and money from broadcast.

And I'm guessing a big disconnect between the money in Japanese Top League rugby vs the Japanese national team.

There hasn't seemed to be any desire to grow global interest in Japanese rugby by the Top League etc. The participants are willing to spend a fortune on their teams but don't seemingly care about making the competition more lucrative overall.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Can someone explain how the RFU has lost money if they don't have anything to do with the Premiership? Did they bail any of them out? Covid hangover? We'd kill to have stadiums sold out like Twiks
They apparently helped the clubs put inartificial turf etc on their home parks. And also a hell of a lot of their income comes from owning Twickenham, which hasn't been making any money, but no doubt still got costs.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
WR (World Rugby) (World Rugby) & the aus Govt. are doing a pretty good job of that one lately
Well so are NZR , but thats only for the Drua, they will need a shit load more money than part of a sports grant to Fiji from Aus gov't , a few hundred grand a year from NZR and a bit from WR (World Rugby). They will need NZR and RA to throw in a bit to get them on feet properly. Unless they get a generous billionaire ro something.
Personally would be in raptures if Japan and Fiji joined, but finance is a huge part of it, Japan wouldn't have a problem I wouldn't think, but much as I hate to say it I doubt whether Fiji can afford it?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Well so are NZR , but thats only for the Drua, they will need a shit load more money than part of a sports grant to Fiji from Aus gov't , a few hundred grand a year from NZR and a bit from WR (World Rugby) (World Rugby). They will need NZR and Rugby Australia to throw in a bit to get them on feet properly. Unless they get a generous billionaire ro something.
Personally would be in raptures if Japan and Fiji joined, but finance is a huge part of it, Japan wouldn't have a problem I wouldn't think, but much as I hate to say it I doubt whether Fiji can afford it?
Why couldn't Fiji afford it? As long as they get a slice of the TV money they should be able to put a team out.

Doubt it'll have all their stars though. Guys like Radradra etc from Europe.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Why couldn't Fiji afford it? As long as they get a slice of the TV money they should be able to put a team out.

Doubt it'll have all their stars though. Guys like Radradra etc from Europe.
That's what I mean, if they can't afford to get stars back etc. And getting a slice of tv money will help. but having but having enough sponsorship to actually build a team to compete. We hear every WC etc they are struggling to do decent buid up etc. They will always be able to put a team out, but you want a proper test team to compete!

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Well so are NZR , but thats only for the Drua, they will need a shit load more money than part of a sports grant to Fiji from Aus gov't , a few hundred grand a year from NZR and a bit from WR (World Rugby) (World Rugby). They will need NZR and Rugby Australia to throw in a bit to get them on feet properly. Unless they get a generous billionaire ro something.

My point has always been that PE would pay for a 7th of an expanded RC then that money would get dispersed to each country on valuation basis a set up just like the 6N, but its too late now both you guys & us have gone our own individual ways

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
That's what I mean, if they can't afford to get stars back etc. And getting a slice of tv money will help. but having but having enough sponsorship to actually build a team to compete. We hear every WC etc they are struggling to do decent buid up etc. They will always be able to put a team out, but you want a proper test team to compete!
Would certainly be a step in the right direction.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Now the AFL has committed to Gather Round Rugby Australia needs to make sure the Rebels are playing a home game that weekend.

Yes the weather was terrible this weekend

But it was a massive opportunity missed. All 10 AFL teams playing away, Storm playing away and all three a league teams playing away.

We had no live sport on in Melbourne last week.

Yet now the Rebels will be playing a home game up against the biggest round of Football in Melbourne with the ANZAC day game and ANZAC ever game as well as the Storms biggest annual home and away game

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Now the AFL has committed to Gather Round Rugby Australia needs to make sure the Rebels are playing a home game that weekend.

But it was a massive opportunity missed. All 10 AFL teams playing away, Storm playing away and all three a league teams playing away.

Yet now the Rebels will be playing a home game up against the biggest round of Football in Melbourne with the ANZAC day game and ANZAC ever game as well as the Storms biggest annual home and away game
I haven't been very impressed with the scheduling for Melbourne, though I'm sure it's dire for other teams too. Home game on Easter, bye weekend on Gather Round. From a winning point of view we play the hardest teams at home and have our winnable games away which isn't helping us.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

The rebels are playing 4 days before the storm & there is no game in melbourne fri or saturday they arent going up against anyone

Reactions: JFT