• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I get what you saying but it does free up to sell spots on the jersey & shorts for more with a promise of exposure of a lions series
Yeah, it would be preferable to be negotiating from a stronger position, but the Lions into home World cup runway is still there to sell to sponsors.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think the catch is that for this to be fixed ‘power’ must be ceded. The true power falls with the states and we have just clearly seen this on display, but unfortunately many don’t understand this and believe it sits elsewhere. I’m glad Hamish is gone as he was untenable, but it doesn’t change that for the game to go forward ACT and QLD need to trust whoever is in charge of Rugby Australia and hand the keys over, otherwise this is just going to be half baked and become extremely territorial again and again and again.

Can only agree. In essence Hamish said "the only way forward is to invest all power in me". The only problem there was the last word. Now that issue is resolved we will want the states to get on board - presuming Waugh is able to flesh out the key detail.

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I thought this section about the ex-captains letter in Geoff Parkes's very good article that sums up my feelings was prescient: "Whatever what one thinks of those ex-captains, their actions and motivations, they only got half the job done. With McLennan running amok, triggering this action by the states, the captain’s culpability in tearing down the previous administration without having secured a competent alternative, shouldn’t be understated."

My main worry is that post 2027 we will look back on this series of the events in the same way we look back on the Raelene captain's letter: A misguided attempt to correct course from objectively poor leadership, that left us turning to a new administration that does not know, or is incapable of executing, the actions that must be taken. Herbert already worries me with his incredibly close ties to QRU (we need someone without vested loyalties) and his statements that suggest he will likely give into a watered down HP alignment. Now is the time to double down on centralization: the state's can't possibly knife another chairman otherwise it will reveal they have no interest in protecting the sport, only their own little interests.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Yeah, it would be preferable to be negotiating from a stronger position, but the Lions into home World cup runway is still there to sell to sponsors.

I see what your saying but its the exposure that DHL/BA winning might be the difference of a few % for a series like this

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Can only agree. In essence Hamish said "the only way forward is to invest all power in me". The only problem there was the last word. Now that issue is resolved we will want the states to get on board - presuming Waugh is able to flesh out the key detail.
I really don’t mind the ‘me’ components. I think it needs to be a ‘me’ and not ‘we’ largely pulling the strings. AFL essentially doesn’t have a ‘we’, infact the Melbourne based clubs have held disdain for the administration for decades because they get shafted in funding and concessions given to other areas. PVL definitely runs as a ‘me’ not ‘we’. American sports have a head power broker, we had trades scuttled in the NBA last year because the commissioner claimed it would make a team too powerful and didn’t want that player going to that market.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I really don’t mind the ‘me’ components. I think it needs to be a ‘me’ and not ‘we’ largely pulling the strings. AFL essentially doesn’t have a ‘we’, infact the Melbourne based clubs have held disdain for the administration for decades because they get shafted in funding and concessions given to other areas. PVL definitely runs as a ‘me’ not ‘we’. American sports have a head power broker, we had trades scuttled in the NBA last year because the commissioner claimed it would make a team too powerful and didn’t want that player going to that market.

It was not "a" me on offer and "the" me was not a logical option. More than that, it is not specifically an individual we need but an organisation with competent lead.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
It was not "a" me on offer and "the" me was not a logical option. More than that, it is not specifically an individual we need but an organisation with competent lead.
But that organization doesn’t have the power to progress forward any more than it has been. I’m glad Hamish is gone, he was power hungry no doubt, but for a power hungry guy we saw very little reform because he didn’t have the power to reform. If RA truly had the power he would have used it, no doubt. I just believe it’s so telling on the game here that the overarching organising didn’t have any moves up their sleeve to shape the game, even with someone egotistical in charge.

So it’s back on the states, QLD and ACT in particular now to cede power, so we can have someone to shape the game. We will see in the coming months what truly was the motivation behind this.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
This was the part of the Parkes article that most resonated with my current feelings:

“Also unhelpful is how quickly this issue has been polarised. Is it not possible for the dual notions that the states are holding back advancement of the game in Australia, and that McLennan should be held accountable for his failings, to both be true?”

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
This was the part of the Parkes article that most resonated with my current feelings:

“Also unhelpful is how quickly this issue has been polarised. Is it not possible for the dual notions that the states are holding back advancement of the game in Australia, and that McLennan should be held accountable for his failings, to both be true?”

Agreed.

Further: let's begin with the proposal that we have a clean slate; that nobody is right or wrong at this point, and look at the best way forward. Whatever levels of trust or grudge existed should be put aside.

Given the parameters we have, what is the model that best serves us winning Test Rugby?

In parallel, how do we allow the State Unions an increased capacity to best serve the community game?

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Little bit in here saying ACT aren’t in a good state and potentially default on a relatively small loan soon. But looking to prevent Rugby Australia opportunism to get the keys to the car
This seems to have, understandably, been lost in the weeds a bit. Being close to defaulting on a $1.7m loan is pretty dire - can absolutely understand why RA wanted a closer look at their books

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
This seems to have, understandably, been lost in the weeds a bit. Being close to defaulting on a $1.7m loan is pretty dire - can absolutely understand why Rugby Australia wanted a closer look at their books
Matt Nobbs & the Canberra Times told me it was a disgrace, a hostile takeover attempt, that I should be appalled, disgusted. How dare they....

Oh by the way, can I please have some more of your money....

Also everyone, please praise the mighty QRU standing up for justice, they have used their free government money to build a small stadium that has had an average capacity of about 100 people at all its events so far, its genius business operation and we should all bow down and kiss the feet of the brilliant Ballymore administrators...Shore School! What a joke, Old Boys at Moore Park at it again! No please ignore my BGS & Churchie blazer, its completely different...

They are the good guys however, compared to the evil RA and the foolish clowns at Daceyville!

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
McLennan had to go on account of the Jones debacle i thought. No evidence has been presented that suggests he is the only person available with the skillset to turn pro rugby around in this country (if this is indeed acheivable by anyone). The states may not have wasted a crisis, but he only has himself to blame IMO.

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
McLennan had to go on account of the Jones debacle i thought. No evidence has been presented that suggests he is the only person available with the skillset to turn pro rugby around in this country (if this is indeed acheivable by anyone). The states may not have wasted a crisis, but he only has himself to blame IMO.
Waugh too

Tazzmania

Charlie Fox (21)
Kelly Bayer Rosmarin is now available. Do it Rugby Australia, I dare you.

Not as far fetched as you may think.

She grew up in South Africa (Would have an understanding of rugby)
She served on the board of the FFA (Soccer) ( Understandsing of sport)
Educated at Stanford in the USA (No shore school affiliations)
Now available??