• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Putting aside the lack of knowledge of Melbourne's road network and public transportation systems, and the shocking views that ovals/running tracks create, the lack of corporate facilities at other grounds would be a major reason why an ongoing alternative home has not been explored.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
There are i did a quick google search and there are a few, controlled by Football [3] and AFL[3] clubs, maybe the Rebels could approach the clubs that control them.

googled the grounds for the stats

Lakeside Stadium, capacity 12, 000 seating 7,400, controlled by the South Melbourne Football Club.

Knights Stadium, in Sunshine North, capacity 12, 000, 3500 seated, corporate facilities 250, controlled by the Melbourne Knight Football club

Princess Park, 13, 000 capacity mostly seating, corporate facilities, controlled by Carlton AFL club.

Windy Hill, 10, 000 capacity some seating, controlled by Essendon AFL club.

Casey Fields, some seating, AFL controlled.

Epping Stadium, 10,000 capacity some seating, good Hill, controlled by Whilltsea Zebras Football club.

You don’t know Melbourne very well by putting up those alternatives. None are central easy to access from all parts of the suburbs & none are in an area you would call ‘rugby heartland’

lakeside oval is only the one that is remotely close to the city & its home of a soccer club & athletics got moved there as a part of a deal to build aami park.

Most of Melbournes population is base east & sunshine is far west outdated run down with zero chance of getting any upgrade.

princess park is the unofficial home of aflw & more importantly home of the 2nd biggest afl club.

windy hill nowadays is certainly not 10k & hasn’t seen an upgrade in 30 years hense why the afl club moved out of there absolutely no access via public transport nor parking.

Casey fields is an afl oval 50km & over an hour drive from Melbourne that is 90% a grass hill.

Epping the same but in another direction.

Better yet only one of them could even host a super rugby game from a broadcast/hospitality point & certainly will never take the rebels on as a tenant

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Panic set in when Manly poached Matthew Ridge IMO, the then AB's full back, in 1990 I think.

AB's going to Australian league was a huge concern, and among other things lead to the Tri nations and Super Rugby, signed in 96, but many things lead to it, and the signing of key players was a large part of the reasoning and when NZ starting losing key AB's, it was no longer Shute Shield teams being raided.

Ridge never played a test for the ABs.

Reactions: dru

LevitatingSocks

Chris McKivat (8)
US doesn’t give a damn about Australian sport.. if anything this might make MLR more lucrative amd 4 for sport betting
Funny enough I've heard more about MLR in Australia than I ever did while working in the US. It receives zero coverage and might struggle to stick around.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
A 4 year contract for over $500,000 a year is a fair contract for a 22 year old with 11 test caps

“Emotionally oppressive month” - What was that you were saying about Hyperbole earlier? If it was that terrible to spend 6 weeks in the south of France playing international Rugby for your nation, he may not enjoy the Sunday afternoon drive to Penrith
A “holiday” with Eddie?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
my bad would have bet money he did.
You wouldn't be only one mate, many even in NZ thought he was an AB test player, I pretty sure he was a NZ colt and certainly a pretty high profile player for Auckland and was only a matter of time before he was.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)

As a practicing accountant i can tell you the ATO is very aggressively chasing unpaid PAYG, which directors are personally liable for.

Meaning if the club is not paying outstanding tax the directors are personally liable for, money must be very short.
As another practicing accountant, if they're behind on PAYG, they're probably also behind on Super which is another big one that the ATO is aggressively chasing

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

As a practicing accountant i can tell you the ATO is very aggressively chasing unpaid PAYG, which directors are personally liable for.

Meaning if the club is not paying outstanding tax the directors are personally liable for, money must be very short.
Hmmm. Seems like a situation ripe for a visit by the RA's auditors.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
That's a long bow Ghost and I'm tempted to think there might be a bit of sour grapes going on?
LB.JPG

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
I think you gents are right about the gambling market, but it will be tough to cultivate genuine interest beyond sports betting. It's a combination of the awkward time zone difference putting most NRL games around 3 am EST and a crowded market. The NBA, NHL, MLB in addition to NFL are the traditional mainstays and European soccer has a very devoted audience. The confusion over rugby vs. league won't help.

If the NRL wants to truly make a run for that market they'll need to schedule more very early or very late games to allow east coast audiences to watch live (broadcasting in the US revolves around that part of the country since the west coast doesn't care for sport as much). Would slot in nicely to fill the June/July/August gap when most American leagues are in the off-season.M
US doesn’t give a damn about Australian sport.. if anything this might make MLR more lucrative amd 4 for sport betting
Yeah. Most Americnas will confuse thei with Rugby Union anyway. To them Rugby is just one sport. They usually see MLR and Sevens and will think this is just a part of that.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
The complexity and, dare I say it, arbitrariness, of the rules is also what turns potential viewers off our game. A much better balance needs to be found. They could start at the breakdown.
What are you suggesting W? This is the key area where games are won or lost. There have been so many changes to the breakdown over the years I am surprised anyone could come up with more stupid ideas to TF the game.

LevitatingSocks

Chris McKivat (8)
What are you suggesting W? This is the key area where games are won or lost. There have been so many changes to the breakdown over the years I am surprised anyone could come up with more stupid ideas to TF the game.
I don't think an actual rule change would be required, but a greater emphasis on the 9 quickly digging the ball out and a crackdown on delays after the official calls "use it" would be nice.

Pest control for the caterpillar ruck seems more difficult to sort out though.

Flavio

Ward Prentice (10)
The push for the NRL into the USA has nothing to do with promoting the sport but everything to do with getting additional revenue from gambling. People use gambling to wash money and if the NRL can get a cut from it, happy days. Remember Pvalndies. the bird of feathers, is from a sport built on gambling.

If you haven't watched the 4 corners report it will open you eyes as to how it has infiltrated all aspects of sports.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I don't think an actual rule change would be required, but a greater emphasis on the 9 quickly digging the ball out and a crackdown on delays after the official calls "use it" would be nice.

Pest control for the caterpillar ruck seems more difficult to sort out though.
I think the caterpillar ruck needs a rule change unfortunately but it's a simple statement of how many can attach in a line.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
The push for the NRL into the USA has nothing to do with promoting the sport but everything to do with getting additional revenue from gambling. People use gambling to wash money and if the NRL can get a cut from it, happy days. Remember Pvalndies. the bird of feathers, is from a sport built on gambling.

If you haven't watched the 4 corners report it will open you eyes as to how it has infiltrated all aspects of sports.

It's horrible. Problem is, once the genie is out you can't get it back as everyone loves wetting their beak.

Maybe I was naïve but I was shocked to hear how many high school students are gambling through apps. Sure, not all will develop problems but the ease of access means some that never would have been exposed now are who will develop issues.

This is also becoming an increasingly scrutinised part of recruitment in many industries.

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
It's horrible. Problem is, once the genie is out you can't get it back as everyone loves wetting their beak.

Maybe I was naïve but I was shocked to hear how many high school students are gambling through apps. Sure, not all will develop problems but the ease of access means some that never would have been exposed now are who will develop issues.

This is also becoming an increasingly scrutinised part of recruitment in many industries.

Why would you be surprised? (I jest) Just ask PVL "watching sports better when your gambling". I couldn't believe there wasn't a Public outcry when he said that. Its all so slimy and dirty, we must never go down that path.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I think saying the NRL US tilt has 'nothing to do with promoting the game' is off the mark.

I do think the NRL has a genuine desire to grow the game in the US. Now that's based on a fair bit of delusion (hello PVL), but it's as much about TV money and ongoing PR as it is gambling.

What's more I don't believe US gambling sites have the same obligations for financial compensation as the local ones do. So there probably isn't any cash in it for them anyway.