• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
If the Wallabies were in the GF at the 'G I would crawl across the Nullarbor to get there.
Credit the optimism.

I have trekked to the G in the past to watch rugby, but will now cede that opportunity to other punters.

Last edited:

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Final on an Oval.

That blows.

I think the MCG is barely worse from a viewing perspective than Stadium Australia/Accor and the extra seats are worthwhile.

I'd argue that from the nosebleed level seats the MCG is actually better.

I also think Melbourne is just better for big events with the food and beverage accessible within a reasonable walk of the MCG. The atmosphere at a full MCG is electric.

I also think the actual viewing of the game for a RWC Final is of fairly minor consequence. The atmosphere etc. is what you're there for and you can watch a TV replay of the game afterwards.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I think the MCG is barely worse from a viewing perspective than Stadium Australia/Accor and the extra seats are worthwhile.

I also think Melbourne is just better for big events with the food and beverage accessible within a reasonable walk of the MCG. The atmosphere at a full MCG is electric.

I also think the actual viewing of the game for a RWC Final is of fairly minor consequence. The atmosphere etc. is what you're there for and you can watch a TV replay of the game afterwards.

your right, the worst seats at the g are on the ground level for rectangular games

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)

Agree with everything you say BH, MCG is 100% the best big event stadium in the country all factors considered (by a distance IMO) oval be damned. But there is something that just grates a little about having a World Cup final in a city (and most relevantly for me, a government) that has shown little support for rugby over the years. The government is really doing the heavy lifting there. Why should we reward the Labour mob in power when they don't give a stuff about our sport.

I fully understand there is a rugby community there that cares before certain forum members jump down my throat. And most of my annoyance is because it would be nice to have the final in my backyard. But equally it would be nice to have one of the rugby states acknowledged.

Having said all that, I can't be too what-about-me about it, MCG is just objectively the biggest and most iconic stadium in the country. And as you say as a city do big events better than the other states. Suncorp brings a lot of similar benefits overall but is unfortunately not big enough for the liking of the WR (World Rugby) bigwigs.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
I don't think it's a case of rewarding anyone.

It's about choosing the best financial outcome for Rugby Australia. If you have a better financial bid from a state where the stadium there also allows you to sell another 16k tickets to the biggest event you have to sell then it's a win-win.
And that has been the exact thinking for the last 25 years, every decision has been justified by the best financial outcome, its a win-win.

And look where we are.

half

Alan Cameron (40)

Super Rugby. What a colossal fuck up
Not discussed in the article nor in general commentary is when the season starts they will need to be at least breaking even on match days or arguably better to fund away match travel.

Have no idea what break even is in crowd numbers or break even for stadium day expenses plus away travel regarding crowds.

Also AMMI Park has a number of tenants so if they lost the Rebels I don't think it would be a big deal for the stadium.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Not discussed in the article nor in general commentary is when the season starts they will need to be at least breaking even on match days or arguably better to fund away match travel.

Super Rugby travel has always been a tournament cost funded by SANZAAR, not a cost on individual teams.
I would assume that is still the case under the new SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) design.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
So in that Roar article - Rebels CEO Badeos says "we've got big things coming in 2025 and 2027". I assume he's referring to the BIL tour and the home RWC, unless the Rebels have some super cool secret plans.

Anyway, I find that quite concerning. Not just because it's coming from the Rebels but I get the feeling a lot of the hope and fortunes of our game are being 'supported' by this whole 'lets just get to 2025 and then 2027 and it'll all be fine!'.

Whilst I have little doubt all the BIL tests will sellout even if they were to be played next month, our game needs more than financial support and stability, it needs relevancy and we simply don't have it. Obviously RA are taking their time with the appointments of key personnel but the fact we are looking like going into 2024 with no one employed within the Wallabies environment is comical.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Being consistently competitive over three decades is success. As Brumby Runner said, winning titles can't be the only currency because only the Crusaders seem to be able to do it.

Any talk of a Brumbies-Rebels merger needs to be shut down asap. If the Rebels go, don't alienate a second fan base by diluting the Brumbies brand.
Making the finals in a conference system that favours weaker teams is not success.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Cant be a worse stadium than Homebush in this fukn hemisphere.

Reactions: dru