• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Much needed for the BBL. When they play so much every couple of days with only 8 sides games became less important.

I guess we wonder if Rugby was to kick off at the start of Feb would we have a bump in viewers? Maybe, but wouldn't be worth it IMO. Earlier you start the less of the Wallabies would be playing in the first few rounds.

I get the appeal but I don't think it's a legitimate option for the best product. We also hear how much we like day rugby. Not really a good option for Feb and a good product.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I guess we wonder if Rugby was to kick off at the start of Feb would we have a bump in viewers? Maybe, but wouldn't be worth it IMO. Earlier you start the less of the Wallabies would be playing in the first few rounds.

I get the appeal but I don't think it's a legitimate option for the best product. We also hear how much we like day rugby. Not really a good option for Feb and a good product.
Only way I think we could start any earlier is by playing a Super AU pre-season comp, likely without the Wallabies, with super rugby pushed back a bit further. I'm not sure there would be much of a product in that though, particularly with the conditions at the moment. Don't get me wrong, I'd still love to see some sort of super AU running before or after super rugby pacific, I just don't think there's room in the calendar to be playing professional rugby much before the end of February in Australia.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
What about Super Rugby running through the mid-year series and then concluding in time for TRC (which conceivably could be pushed slightly further back)? 25 players missing Super Rugby for each of AU & NZ would be mitigated by the exposure it gives younger players and the extra game time for those on the precipice. Admittedly, not ideal for the Drua perhaps...

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Maybe. NRL games suffer badly during the Origin period when they lose players. You rarely get blown away by a young kid and mostly just see a worse product.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What about Super Rugby running through the mid-year series and then concluding in time for TRC (which conceivably could be pushed slightly further back)? 25 players missing Super Rugby for each of AU & NZ would be mitigated by the exposure it gives younger players and the extra game time for those on the precipice. Admittedly, not ideal for the Drua perhaps...

You can't do it when it's the pointy end of the season.

It would be farcical if all the test players are missing for the finals.

The competition also isn't big enough to absorb a test squad of around 35 people missing from 5 teams in both Australia and New Zealand.

I agree though that we do need more games of reasonable quality in the period when we used to have the NRC.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
Play Super Rugby as is and run Super Rugby AU later in the year, benefits:

As a member, I get more games for my$$$
Teams have a longer season and build combinations and playing structuresFringe Players get a chance to play,

Let's face some of the members don't get a run all during the season.

In addition, if you have an injured player that misses a chunk of Super Rugby, they can come back for Super AU

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)

Teams have a longer season and build combinations and playing structuresFringe Players get a chance to play,

In addition, if you have an injured player that misses a chunk of Super Rugby, they can come back for Super AU
Just makes so much sense.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Do you think it's the answer for Aus? I would suggest that there is a lot more interest in test matches in Aus than super. Hey I prepared to be corrected on it, but I know for sure when I was in Aus there was a lot more interest in Tests than super.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Go along with @Wallaby Man , that is what I believe by far the best answer.

Steve_Grey

Sydney Middleton (9)

I think it is better idea than no idea - only issue is that I don't think people care much about the State Rugby [Super teams] compared to the Club teams they support in the Tier below [QPL, Shute Shield etc.].

I would be tempted to run a Club Comp later in the season from the top Clubs in each State [where the Super Rugby Players go back to their Clubs] - and run it Nationally. Super Rugby AU would be easier to administer, of course, as the Teams already exist, but sometimes the extra effort from a tribally supported Club Comp could pay dividends.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Would anyone watch it without test players and during test season?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think it is better idea than no idea - only issue is that I don't think people care much about the State Rugby [Super teams] compared to the Club teams they support in the Tier below [QPL, Shute Shield etc.].

I would be tempted to run a Club Comp later in the season from the top Clubs in each State [where the Super Rugby Players go back to their Clubs] - and run it Nationally. Super Rugby AU would be easier to administer, of course, as the Teams already exist, but sometimes the extra effort from a tribally supported Club Comp could pay dividends.

Club rugby crowds on average are way lower than Super Rugby crowds (which also aren't good).

It might be a slightly different fanbase but it would be a smaller one. You'd also cut out a bunch of the best players who don't play for a club that makes it to this national comp.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I think so particularly if it was just part of existing memberships with the price increased.

If you played a single round robin you have two games a weekend for the comp, two home games for each side in a comp that lasts for 5 weeks plus a grand final.

You could either run it in parallel with the Rugby Championship (which would take Super Rugby players out of Club Rugby) or do it starting at the end of September and finish in early November in line with the under 16 and under 19 Australian Super Rugby comp.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)

How many clubs? Are JID clubs included? What about the Perth and Melbourne clubs? Are Super players whose club sides don't qualify left out, as players turning up for the two blues or west harbour are likely to? If not, how are these players moved around? Will mega mercenary teams be the outcome, and if so, does that miss the point? If yes, how many well remunerated individuals are you wasting away doing nothing except train while some starters in the comp will be playing for beer money?

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
Absolutely IMO, there will still be a significant amount of test players OR players with experience. I understand expectations need to be kept in check, but there is no reason to think that you could not get a few people to the games.

The Tahs can revert to Leichhardt Oval, the Brumbies to Viking Park, Reds to Ballymore. It would lower the cost, and the Reds own their own stadium anyway.

Seriously I would go and so would my mates who support the Tahs,

TV wise? Geez, they are showing Wram Up games already, so there is no reason not to broadcast a Super AU version, great content for Stan.

I would much rather have the Tahs squad playing under one team in a longer season than scattered around club rugby, and let's face it: Club rugby is just that; it will never be anything more...

Reds Rick

Stan Wickham (3)
I think so particularly if it was just part of existing memberships with the price increased.

If you played a single round robin you have two games a weekend for the comp, two home games for each side in a comp that lasts for 5 weeks plus a grand final.

You could either run it in parallel with the Rugby Championship (which would take Super Rugby players out of Club Rugby) or do it starting at the end of September and finish in early November in line with the under 16 and under 19 Australian Super Rugby comp.
I like all this. The September to November timing would have the added benefit of some clear air time with the other football codes having finished for the year. Got to have some appeal to a broadcaster surely?

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)

QLDer here that’s played at a few Prem clubs. People most certainly care more for the Reds than any club team.

Steve_Grey

Sydney Middleton (9)

"or do it starting at the end of September and finish in early November in line with the under 16 and under 19 Australian Super Rugby comp."

That idea I do like - align the U19s with the Super Rugby AU Senior Squad playing locations - some would even be pushing for the senior level.

Stan televised U19 last year anyway - so great additional content for them for marginal extra cost.