• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
What happens to reds and Waratahs if we add extra teams into QLD/NSW?

The suggestion of a national competition is just the NRC but lipstick on a pig.

plus - the drua might decide to just go play with the New Zealanders
Sadly pig lipstick is all we can afford, because we spent like a drunken sailor for twenty years.

The Waratahs become the Sydney Waratahs, the Reds become the Brisbane Reds, and I hope the Drua pick Australia.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Most will know my views over decades, that Super Rugby was the wrong way to structure a competition hoping to capture an Australia wide audience or even maintain existing status.
Mate I know where you coming from etc but this bit I have copied from your post shows where you got it so wrong. Super rugby was actually incredibly successful when it started, and in Australia (I lived there then) and indeed captured as wide an ausdience as you could hope for, rugby was front and centre of

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
Mate I know where you coming from etc but this bit I have copied from your post shows where you got it so wrong. Super rugby was actually incredibly successful when it started, and in Australia (I lived there then) and indeed captured as wide an ausdience as you could hope for, rugby was front and centre of
Mate you've got it back to front.

Super Rugby was successful when it started because it began at the absolute peak of Union's popularity in Aus.

But Super Rugby has done nothing to build on that popularity. In fact I would argue it's one of the major reasons Union has fallen off a cliff in this country over the past two decades.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
What we are up against NRL just announced over 700 million revenue, and a big increase in ratings. AFL revenue is much higher than NRL. If they sell NRL highlight packages to the US networks there revenue will be even more.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Qld x2
Sydney/NSW x3
Act x2
Melbourne x1
Perth x1
Fiji x1

No fricken way there’s 2 ACT teams

they already have a poaching issue in the nations capital where they can’t develop their own so they have to pick players from QLD, NSW and VIC.

Would make more sense to have a team in Darwin tbh.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
No fricken way there’s 2 ACT teams

they already have a poaching issue in the nations capital where they can’t develop their own so they have to pick players from QLD, NSW and VIC.

Would make more sense to have a team in Darwin tbh.

9 then.

Still I’d take the Vikings to top up the broader Brumby squad as it is and think I’d go close to two National teams. Happy to bow to your thoughts and start 9.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
The way I see it, we are never going to compete with Japan, Europe so don;t bother, careers are short and the national team isn't priority. Let the internationals go (can still play for the Wallabies), use an Aus comp for up and comers.

Super Rugby is always going to be loss making on that basis, so unless you can find rich benefactors who can use the national coverage for promotion why try to compete with overseas - create passion with a local comp

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
9 then.

Still I’d take the Vikings to top up the broader Brumby squad as it is and think I’d go close to two National teams. Happy to bow to your thoughts and start 9.
if you take the 5 existing teams add one in NSW & QLD, retain the Drua, you have a workable 8 team competition. Given time that could become 10 teams (5-15 year time frame)

Problem is were broke, so why didn't we do this sometime over the last 10 years when we actually had a couple bucks in the bank and the odd supporter or two.

Reactions: dru

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
if you take the 5 existing teams add one in NSW & QLD, retain the Drua, you have a workable 8 team competition. Given time that could become 10 teams (5-15 year time frame)

Problem is were broke, so why didn't we do this sometime over the last 10 years when we actually had a couple bucks in the bank and the odd supporter or two.

The plan is pretty much the NRC comp.
The NRC is a twice failed 3rd tier comp.

I bet those broadcasters are chomping at the bit at this proposal.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)

Because it's been run by people whose main interest is their fiefdom.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
The plan is pretty much the NRC comp.
The NRC is a twice failed 3rd tier comp.

I bet those broadcasters are chomping at the bit at this proposal.
NO, it failed because it was a reserve grade development competition designed to support Super Rugby, it was never going to be attractive to broadcasters, you can't sell them your B competition.

Those broadcasters aren't chomping at the bit now, and as I said above reality is a bummer. but we are in this situation because we stuffed up the last 20 years.
You want Australian rugby to grow & prosper then you have to plant the seed and do the hard work first.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
If it is intended as the primary 2nd tier comp then it is not the NRC comp.

Broadcasters don't give a shit about any rugby outside of Tests.

& test rugby takes a huge hit because players from Oz and NZ leave in droves.

They’ll need to sort out eligibility laws with wallabies and all blacks to keep the Bledisloe the best of the best spectacle of Tasman Rugby.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
& test rugby takes a huge hit because players from Oz and NZ leave in droves.

They’ll need to sort out eligibility laws with wallabies and all blacks to keep the Bledisloe the best of the best spectacle of Tasman Rugby.
Scrap eligibility laws, look at South Africa

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Scrap eligibility laws, look at South Africa

Honestly don’t think it’s that simple.

french and Japanese rugby just going to let their star players take a quick flight back to Australia for a test match?

South Africa was able to upgrade from super rugby to the northern hemisphere club comp backed by big broadcast deals… our saviour Is Stan sports