• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
It's possibly not fair to boil Petaia's career down like this, but ultimately he's started just 12 matches in the last world cup cycle across three positions without being an automatic starter in any of them.

He offers unrivaled utility value, but that obviously isn't worth much
I've no idea what Petaia's problem is but as a big and fast guy with decent hands, he should be amongst the first picked. He seems to be one of those whose confidence is not where an International back should be. He doesn't seem to demand the ball when playing, contrast him with Tom Wright whose confidence is beyond his ability. Petaia seems happy to play a supporting/defensive role with the occasional top try.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I've no idea what Petaia's problem is but as a big and fast guy with decent hands, he should be amongst the first picked. He seems to be one of those whose confidence is not where an International back should be. He doesn't seem to demand the ball when playing, contrast him with Tom Wright whose confidence is beyond his ability. Petaia seems happy to play a supporting/defensive role with the occasional top try.
Wright is certainly very confident in the way he plays, but he has a hell of a lot of ability to go with it too.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Surely the Roosters aren't going to dump 12% of their cap on two rugby players ($900k on MJ & $500k on MN). Joey Manu won the golden boot is only collecting $800k this year (he also doesn't miss games for Origin).

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Surely the Roosters aren't going to dump 12% of their cap on two rugby players ($900k on MJ & $500k on MN). Joey Manu won the golden boot is only collecting $800k this year (he also doesn't miss games for Origin).
Yeah, the 900k makes me sceptical. This is current Origin level player money for a Back. Is it a gross amount with a lot of 3rd party deals which I'm also sceptical of as he hasn't been there and doesn't bring anything to them at this stage.

They will be losing the wage of JWH and most likely Crichton which would be 1.3-1.5m ballpark together.

One thing I do hope is that this price may make other sides like the Tiger & Bulldogs say no thanks since they have been interested him also.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
So a few people with an axe to grind feel like they can be the saviours of Australian rugby, but will likely end up doing more harm than good? They could’ve at least chosen a less self-indulgent acronym

IMO Stooke comes with credibility, the rest (based entirely on background given in this article), not so much. There is no plan or suggestions of changes simply bitching about what they don't like, largely historical. It's hard not to agree with the historical stuff but no alternate plan gives them no credibility.

Given this has come pretty much out of thte blue, I don't imagine that a lot of work has been done gaining support from voting members. Likely to be a splash in the pan.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I think you are underestimating how pissed off many of the member unions are with the current board.

I'd be pretty surprised if any of these three directors get re-elected. The new blood may be a bit different.

To clarify, I don't think the letter or group will make any difference. There have been rumblings for months

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
IMO Stooke comes with credibility, the rest (based entirely on background given in this article), not so much. There is no plan or suggestions of changes simply bitching about what they don't like, largely historical. It's hard not to agree with the historical stuff but no alternate plan gives them no credibility.

Does he? He resigned in 2017 over the Western Force being cut but likewise I don't think he had an alternative path forward for RA that didn't involve doing that. He was also on the board for the 5 years before that. Were all the decisions made over that time good ones?

The Rugby Australia board and Rugby Australia in general has been dominated by the Chair for as long as I can remember. Anyone who has been on the board can be tarnished by this same brush.

We need to get to a position where the CEO and employees of RA are driving the administration of the game and left to do that and the board is there to provide strategic direction and governance. The Chair should never be the shadow CEO like McLennan and before him Clyne were.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
A big question going forward is why would any well credentialed businessperson want to be on the board if they aren't passionate about rugby? There's clearly significant risk and very little reward.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Even passion will only take you so far. If working for an org could damage your professional reputation, you'd be completely bonkers to go anywhere near it.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
We need to get to a position where the CEO and employees of RA are driving the administration of the game and left to do that and the board is there to provide strategic direction and governance. The Chair should never be the shadow CEO like McLennan and before him Clyne were.
You mean RA should be run properly? Wild suggestion.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I don't know much about the new president, but I understand she is a passionate supporter of the game, particularly the women's game. I know nothing of her corporate/board experience.