• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
Screenshot-20240512-201151-Whats-App.jpg
oblivion-tom-cruise.gif

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
I preferred the little blue error squares :(
If you are a drug addict the first step to heal yourself is to recognize that you are ill. If you are fat, te first step to lose some weight is to recognize that you are fat and need to lose some weight. If you don't recognize where you are then there's not problem, so nothing to figure it out.

If you are losing a franchise cause you are broke it not makes sense to spend money that you don't have in one player who isn't the messiah

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
If you are a drug addict the first step to heal yourself is to recognize that you are ill. If you are fat, te first step to lose some weight is to recognize that you are fat and need to lose some weight. If you don't recognize where you are then there's not problem, so nothing to figure it out.
I’m fairly certain RA recognise they’re not in a great financial spot.

If you are losing a franchise cause you are broke it not makes sense to spend money that you don't have in one player who isn't the messiah
It’s a good thing that most of Sua’ali’i’s salary is being covered by an anonymous donor then isn’t it :D

Not sure how many more times that needs to be said…

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
You're not wrong he's expensive but his cost doesn't even touch the sides of what it costs to run a franchise. Yes it's a build of these decisions but it's very superficial to look at it like this.

It's also not relevant when a large portion of JS deal is from money that would otherwise not be in the hands of RA and therefore not even useful in propping up a franchise.

I think we should be more critical of things like a 2m overspend at the WC in which we left early thankfully.

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
It’s a good thing that most of Sua’ali’i’s salary is being covered by an anonymous donor then isn’t it :D

Not sure how many more times that needs to be said…
It doesn't matter. Invest that money in Western Sydney where all the Jail Rugby stars are born

It seems like the whim of a millionaire than something serious. Put that money in Will Skelton just to name someone. A second rower is more important than a winger/centre nowaydays

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
We have been over this too many times to remember. But I am pretty sure that the money for JS did not come from RA. It came from some rich benefactors.
Use those rich benefactors to develop the game. Put some Rugby Academies in Western Sydney and pouch the new Jail Rugby star before is too famous

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
It doesn't matter. Invest that money in Western Sydney where all the Jail Rugby stars are born

It seems like the whim of a millionaire than something serious. Put that money in Will Skelton just to name someone. A second rower is more important than a winger/centre nowaydays
What money?

It's their money. They are willing to spend it for JS otherwise it doesn't exist at all.

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
What money?

It's their money. They are willing to spend it for JS otherwise it doesn't exist at all.
If you are a member of the board your duty is to direct external investment

If someone wants a Super Rugby franchise in Darwin or on the moon, for you is OK cause is their money. Even if it's a financial disaster that all can see

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
If you are a member of the board your duty is to direct external investment

If someone want a Super Rugby franchise in Darwin or on the moon, for you is OK cause is their money. Even if it's a financial disaster that we can all see
As stated, the reports are that the money is being provided by the donor(s) under the proviso it is being used to sign Sua'ali'i. It's either use the money to do just that, or no money at all. What do you think RA are going to do in that situation?

Tazzmania

Tom Lawton (22)
As stated, the reports are that the money is being provided by the donor(s) under the proviso it is being used to sign Sua'ali'i. It's either use the money to do just that, or no money at all. What do you think RA are going to do in that situation?
As far as I am aware besides confirming that they had signed him, I do not think any contract details have ever been released by Rugby Australia, so any third party involvement is mearly hearsay at the present time.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
As far as I am aware besides confirming that they had signed him, I do not think any contract details have ever been released by Rugby Australia, so any third party involvement is mearly hearsay at the present time.

I can't imagine they would ever release those details, but considering the Australian Rugby Foundation has been the source of every other large contract signing and their involvement has been widely reported on in this case... I'd say it's a given.

Going back to 2020 when they first courted him...

The boss of the foundation prepared to bankroll Joseph Sua'ali'i's proposed rugby deal says he feels “massively” sorry for the young star and hit out at South Sydney’s handling of the situation following news he was poised to sign a four-year deal in rugby league.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...ndling-of-Sua'ali'i-deal-20200727-p55fxl.html

Instead, the offer has been made possible through the Emerging Wallabies Fund, which is administered by the Australian Rugby Foundation, an organisation of wealthy rugby benefactors which at various points has supported David Pocock and Israel Folau. It is effectively a fighting fund, set up by former RA chief executive Raelene Castle, to combat raids from other codes.

What cash there is on offer comes from two sources: an in-budget fighting fund established by ex-CEO Raelene Castle, and a new emerging Wallabies fund, off-budget, initiated by donors through the Australian Rugby Foundation.

Both funds are designed to protect and invest in the future of the Wallabies, by ensuring that there is a pool of money available to contract talented young schoolboy players who would otherwise be lost to rugby league.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2020/07/...-elusive-as-superman-Sua'ali'i-saga-rages-on/

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
Let me tell you that those donors know nothing about rugby if they thing they are gonna recover their invesment putting Sua'ali'i in a losing Waratahs side or in a Wallabies side ranked number 10 in the world

Maybe if those top salaries were invested in the right players in the past like: Rory Arnold and Will Skelton for the 2023 RWC you could have built a strong tight-five with players who were playing in Australia and with a strong forwards pack, you could have been developed the new stars on the backline.

Maybe if those juicy contracts were offered to Meafou in the right moment, not now that he's a rock star in Toulouse, you could have built a strong forward packs to give the ball to the new talents coming through the system like Tim Ryan

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Let me tell you that those donors know nothing about rugby if they thing they are gonna recover their invesment putting Sua'ali'i in a losing Waratahs side or in a Wallabies side ranked number 10 in the world

Maybe if those top salaries were invested in the right players in the past like: Rory Arnold and Will Skelton for the 2023 RWC you could have built a strong tight-five with players who were playing in Australia and with a strong forwards pack, you could have been developed the new stars on the backline.

Maybe if those juicy contracts were offered to Meafou in the right moment, not now that he's a rock star in Toulouse, you could have built a strong forward packs to give the ball to the new talents coming through the system like Tim Ryan

How do you know those offers haven't been made...

Against the highest paid Australian player in the world, and the captain of Australia's 2023 RWC team?

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
How do you know those offers haven't been made...

Against the highest paid Australian player in the world, and the captain of Australia's 2023 RWC team?
I don't know. I just say what I see. And I see Scotland and Ireland investing top salaries in the positions they need. And RA spending top salaries in players like Jorgensen or Sua'ali'i meanwhile their forward pack is beaten for every Tier 1 nation in recent years

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't know. I just say what I see. And I see Scotland and Ireland investing top salaries in the positions they need. And RA spending top salaries in players like Jorgensen or Sua'ali'i meanwhile their forward pack is beaten for every Tier 1 nation in recent years

1715577660721.png

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
It'd be a very odd sort of donation if they did recover their investment.
That brings us to the first sentence: "They know nothing about rugby". If they want to revitalize the Waratahs or the Wallabies, Sua'ali'i isn't the answer.

You always want something in change when you donate. Maybe in this case is not money, I don't know who is the Aussie Elon Musk behind those offers.