• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

T

TOCC

Think I'd be against national funding for matches between rep sides from AAGPS, CAS, GPS(Q), AIC, and the like.

How would it be better than what there is now, with state/territory teams in the national comp? (and the above rep sides playing in their respective state trials).

not rep sides, the actual school teams.. similar to what they do in New Zealand and the US for football

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Ah, right. I misread.

Well, it's not unknown for school teams to do short tours and it would be sort of a more formalised extension of that. So fine.

But, for mine, there would be higher priorities in terms of spending from a national perspective.

S

sidelineview

Ah, right. I misread.

Well, it's not unknown for school teams to do short tours and it would be sort of a more formalised extension of that. So fine.

But, for mine, there would be higher priorities in terms of spending from a national perspective.

A big priority is to promote the game and this initiative of playing games like this as curtain raisers is worth considering.

There are a number of games to consider putting on:
A Qld Colts v Sydney Colts play off.
Australian Schoolboys v Kiwis or another country.
State U19s or U20s games.

A curtain raiser/s to the Wallabies v ABs 21st Oct @ Suncorp would probably be good timing.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
You wouldn't think so. I think this is a big issue with this whole topic, and falls into the "where does the pot of money come from" bag.
Despite what some think, I don't think Andrew Forrest is going to be a Kerry Packer - for starters, Rugby has never been in the national psyche as much as cricket. His support for the Force is great, I don't see it being larger than that, so they need some big sponsors, as it seems likely broadcast money will be far less than now, not more, if we walk away from SANZAAR and start up our own show.

Could it be worse or better, I dont know the stats / ratings but i wouldnt mind betting the punt Clubrugby TV made with the Shute Shield is starting to pay dividends, and its on FTA.

Yes the product is slightly different as we are talking a profesional comp v a semi professional comp - but it is also the important balance by ensuring supporters turn up and clubs get gate and rugby on TV.

If the SS and the 7 Network continue the same trajectory as the last 2 years more and larger sponsors will jump on board - as they are getting very good exposure - Intrust / Charter Hall / Fujitsu / Bang Olufsen to name a few.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Dave,

No doubt the SS is paying its way on FTA. But we are light years away from a situation where there will be rights money changing hands.

And I might add that the last couple of seasons have produced some compelling contests. How will it go when one of the stodgier clubs dominates again for a few years?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I actually wish they have fewer sponsors next year. The broadcast commentary is becoming like AM radio, you can't go thirty seconds without a live ad for some financial company, or an interview with a bland CEO.

Not to mention the pop-up ads on the screen. I'll put my own money in for them to stop.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Dave,

No doubt the SS is paying its way on FTA. But we are light years away from a situation where there will be rights money changing hands.

And I might add that the last couple of seasons have produced some compelling contests. How will it go when one of the stodgier clubs dominates again for a few years?

Thus why i said trajectory.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I actually wish they have fewer sponsors next year. The broadcast commentary is becoming like AM radio, you can't go thirty seconds without a live ad for some financial company, or an interview with a bland CEO.

Not to mention the pop-up ads on the screen. I'll put my own money in for them to stop.

Surely you didnt find that as annoying as Cam Shepherds rubbish chat