• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
At $500 per year . Not worth it at that price given how little else I would watch

I understand due to the price why so many people don't have Foxtel (IMHO its expensive). But at the same time I can also see it from a potential broadcasters perspective if supporters wont even reluctantly pay to watch their chosen sport out of a desire to see it and can happily live without it is it worth investing in?

(this is not a dig or criticism of you personally btw - its a general comment).

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
At $500 per year . Not worth it at that price given how little else I would watch
James, the cheapest way to get Foxtel is via a News limited digital subscription.

Get the Full-on Footy Season pass.

$11 per week for 8 months, ($350 total) gives you all the sport channels on Foxtel Now (Internet streaming service, so you need good Internet)

You also get to read a newspaper every day. (which is most of what you are paying for)

For me, I was already paying $28 a month to get on line access of the Daily Telegraph. Its only an extra $15 per month to get the Foxtel now. Its a no brainer.

It's a seriously good service worth the money. On NBN, its hi definition, really good quality. And you watch any game you like on replay on demand.

What's more you can watch it on 2 devices similtaneously. So if you really want to be a cheapskate, find a mate and go halves.

But at the end of the day, the game needs people paying at the gate or watching on TV. Otherwise it's no longer a professional game.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
You nailed it with your last sentence, every day people complain that we don't have the resources, players moving OS, etc. but the game has to generate money to compete.

I remember going to an NRC game at Coogee (First season) and some guys were trying to sneak through the side gate, it was super cheap to get a ticket and these guys did not look like they were short of money.

T

TOCC

6c6d5502da590f1d124a51d32bd49b06.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
You nailed it with your last sentence, every day people complain that we don't have the resources, players moving OS, etc. but the game has to generate money to compete.

I remember going to an NRC game at Coogee (First season) and some guys were trying to sneak through the side gate, it was super cheap to get a ticket and these guys did not look like they were short of money.

I contribute over $1500 per year on attendances. If it was another $200 purely for SuperRugby online, I'd do that. The other bits are just things I wouldn't use.

For other sports
  • The NBA has a nice one - $150 per year or $55 per year with 8 games (of your choice per month)
  • NBL is $5 per month
  • Premier league is $15 per month
  • AFL, AFLW, NRL and Netball are all free for Telstra customers (some limited to smaller viewing size)
  • NHL (US Icehockey) is $160 per year
  • RugbyPass would be nice if I wasn't in Australia - $160 per year

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Brave, Commercial Foolish, or whatever. Aust V Irl in Melbourne

The match is in Melbourne and is being played 1 against the Socceroo's WC opening match, 2 against an AFL game a couple of blocks away.

Why not move it to an afternoon game, and we have know about the clashes for months.

From The Age, the Head line reads;- Wallabies will go head to head with Socceroos' World Cup opener

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/rug...cceroos-world-cup-opener-20180320-p4z5bn.html

Rugby Australia will resist calls to move a Wallabies fixture in June against Ireland because of a kick-off clash with the Socceroos’ first FIFA World Cup match in Russia.

Compounding the problem is the Hawthorn-Adelaide AFL clash at the neighbouring Melbourne Cricket Ground at the same time, which is likely to pull a sizeable crowd.

Over on the Roar today there is an article about the clash with many wanting the match moved to 6:00 or 6:30. Lots of debate not a bad read even for the Roar...

https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/03/23/rugby-australia-make-way-socceroos-super-rugby-bits/

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think it's a no brainer to move it to 6pm. The extra crowd numbers and TV viewers in Australia that would be gained by avoiding the clash would surely outweigh the additional morning viewers in Ireland and the UK? The time difference is only 9 hours in June, so it'd still kickoff at 9am there, which is fine. There might even be more viewers at 9am than there would at 11.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
A 6pm kickoff does sound like a reasonable move for RA. As you say, the ending of daylight savings here and starting of it in Ireland improves the time difference by 2 hours.

I think there's also an avenue (as others have mentioned) to use it as a promotion that they're supporting their mates in the Socceroos and that punters can set up a for a big night with their friends supporting Aussie sport by watching the Wallabies and then straight into the Socceroos.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Given there's a all blacks test kicking off before the wallabies game moving it to clash with that might not be well received by fox sports or rugby fans.

Personally I'm against moving it. Sure if you know ahead of time when the soccer will be than avoid the clash but don't screw everyone around with a late change, particular when you've already sold almost half the tickets.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
“Here, Brad Thorn and Michael Cheika are on the same page. They speak the same language, extol the same virtues.”: Paul Cully.
Is there anyone in the oz rugby media who has any clue?
One of these men booted QC (Quade Cooper) while the other says he’ll pick him from club to play tests.
Maloney, Cano, Mitchell Last night were like schoolboys, primary school boys at that.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Given there's a all blacks test kicking off before the wallabies game moving it to clash with that might not be well received by fox sports or rugby fans.

Personally I'm against moving it. Sure if you know ahead of time when the soccer will be than avoid the clash but don't screw everyone around with a late change, particular when you've already sold almost half the tickets.
Good point. There is zero chance this game will be moved to overlap with NZ vs France. That would be a worse outcome for every broadcaster.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Brave, Commercial Foolish, or whatever. Aust V Irl in Melbourne

The match is in Melbourne and is being played 1 against the Socceroo's WC opening match, 2 against an AFL game a couple of blocks away.

Why not move it to an afternoon game, and we have know about the clashes for months.

From The Age, the Head line reads;- Wallabies will go head to head with Socceroos' World Cup opener

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/rug...cceroos-world-cup-opener-20180320-p4z5bn.html

Rugby Australia will resist calls to move a Wallabies fixture in June against Ireland because of a kick-off clash with the Socceroos’ first FIFA World Cup match in Russia.

Compounding the problem is the Hawthorn-Adelaide AFL clash at the neighbouring Melbourne Cricket Ground at the same time, which is likely to pull a sizeable crowd.
Didn’t you get the memo?
Melbourne’s officially a rugby stronghold - that’s why they have all those force players.
It’s the AFL and FIFA who need to move their games if they want decent numbers.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
What our TV companies would be prepared to invest in is something that provides more content (2), more rivalry (3) and more importantly at profitable times (1), we all know what that is, but unfortunately NZ just isn't interested atm.

Are you referring to a trans-tasman comp, or something else?

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Can we learn something from soccer.

Today FIFA appointed what they called a working committee to develop better governance and management models at FFA.

The committee consists of 8 members, 4 from their state bodies, 2 from the A-League clubs, 1 for the players union, and a chair they must all agree on who has had little involvement with FFA.

I wonder aloud if we could copy, no I am not dreaming and yes the IRB is hardly going to step in.

BUT the idea of getting a broad based group of reps from grass roots clubs, from Shute Shield level Clubs, from the 4 Super Rugby clubs, from 7's, from the players union, officals and says a fans rep as well.

Even if just to advise the RA board of their concerns. Even if the group could take submissions from their stakeholders.

The idea we could create some kinda committee that we could approach or who have broad based experience to advise the RA board if nothing else than to broaden ideas and knowledge.

charlesalan

Sydney Middleton (9)
$3.8 million loss for RA in 2017 after an "incredibly difficult year".
Incentive payment of $500,000 to Mr Pulver on top of $775,000 salary for his 'outstanding' contribution to Rugby
Un F*&king believable

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
$3.8 million loss for RA in 2017 after an "incredibly difficult year".
Incentive payment of $500,000 to Mr Pulver on top of $775,000 salary for his 'outstanding' contribution to Rugby
Un F*&king believable

not to mention 3 million spent on re-branding...

imaging what they could have done with 50million....

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Annual report available on the Rugby Australia webpage

Financial comparisons with last year and years are going to be difficult with all of the one offs in there, including

Government grant for new HQ
RA running the WF operations
RA legal bill for cutting the force

They do give a pretty thorough explanation in the notes to the statement, well worth a read.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk