• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill McLean (32)
... ... ... For the life of me I still can't understand how the CHS 1st XV prop Matagi Sa'u was overlooked? ... ... ... ... ... ... I look forward to seeing some of these boys in the Shute Shield Colts arena next season. Thats when we separate the boys [especially those protected & unfairly promoted via the GPS system] from the MEN!!

With respect to your first comment about Sa'u I could not agree with you more! Good call. I had actually forgotten about in. The lad has always been unlucky; at the 2006 NSW PSSA rugby championship he was the player of the tournament in my opinion and was not selected in the NSW team!

With regard to the Shute Shield, yes indeed! More so back in my day when dancing on one's back at the ruck was actually legal.:)

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I am going to be the first either brave or stupid man and name a XV.
1. Robertson NSW
2. Postal QLD
3. Wessels QLD
4. Korczyk QLD
5. Philip NSW
6. Dempsey NSW
7. Murphy/ Randell NSW/CS
8. Whiteley NSW
9. Pulver/Deck CS/QLD
10. Horwitz NSW
11. Jones NSW
12. Tuttle QLD c
13. Tanuvasa QLD
14. Valetini VIC
15. Kellaway/ O'Neill. NSW/ACT.

Big, fast, smart and mobile. These fine men will serve Australia, their states and their schools proud. Discuss

Jim Stewart, Jonah Placid, Jake McIntyre, Harry Rorke?

I can't comment as I didn't attend the trials but those boys should be in the mix. If your team is based on form and ability (which the selection process should be) then I can see guys like Tanuvasa making it. I have a feeling reputation will be a big bargaining chip come selection panel time and there could be some serious head-scratchers.

Bill McLean (32)
I am going to be the first either brave or stupid man and name a XV.
1. Robertson NSW
2. Postal QLD
3. Wessels QLD
4. Korczyk QLD
5. Philip NSW
6. Dempsey NSW
7. Murphy/ Randell NSW/CS
8. Whiteley NSW
9. Pulver/Deck CS/QLD
10. Horwitz NSW
11. Jones NSW
12. Tuttle QLD c
13. Tanuvasa QLD
14. Valetini VIC
15. Kellaway/ O'Neill. NSW/ACT.

Big, fast, smart and mobile. These fine men will serve Australia, their states and their schools proud. Discuss

I generally agree however I would put Tanuvasa on the bench in favour of Stewart; and I would swap Harry Jones for Valentini.

PS - Sorry GC I only seen Jones at 11 a minute to go!

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Jim Stewart, Jonah Placid, Jake McIntyre, Harry Rorke?

I can't comment as I didn't attend the trials but those boys should be in the mix. If your team is based on form and ability (which the selection process should be) then I can see guys like Tanuvasa making it. I have a feeling reputation will be a big bargaining chip come selection panel time and there could be some serious head-scratchers.
I hope that they go on form, because I reckon he is not far off the mark. Placid has been solid, but that o'neill kid is lightning. Mcintyre thesame as Placid. As far as Harry Rorke goes Rooster one day.... At this tournament there have been some new kids in town. Pulver from Combined States is one. He has made Natoli and Quigley look like 14's players. The kid is smart. O'Donahue from NSW is another. Shows skills that a lot of the other boys, including Hood, Gunn, Minenko et al dream that they had. Harry Jones that GC named in his team has the best maori sidestep since Jonah and pace to burn. Looks like he loves his footy too. Good spot Gristle. I also reckon Jack McCalman is a goer as well

Bill McLean (32)
LG is somewhat late tonight. It could be the case that Cream Sherry is on special at Dan Murphy's; he is still waiting for the corgis to do their business in the park; or he is busy tapping away on his computer for tonight's report.:)

Out of respect for Obe-Wan-Rugby we should go with the latter!;)

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Please swap Valentini for Harry Jones re Maori sidestep. Istillhave both inthe team. And as far as Stewart goes, read the same as Rorke.

Bill McLean (32)
I hope that they go on form, because I reckon he is not far off the mark. ... ... ... ... ... ... Harry Jones that GC named in his team has the best maori sidestep since Jonah and pace to burn. Looks like he loves his footy too. Good spot Gristle. I also reckon Jack McCalman is a goer as well

Hey Brian it was me who named Harry Jones mate. I was responding to the post of GC :cool:

with respect to Jack the lad, oh yes, he is definitely a hard-working quiet achiever!

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
LG is somewhat late tonight. It could be the case that Cream Sherry is on special at Dan Murphy's; he is still waiting for the corgis to do their business in the park; or he is busy tapping away on his computer for tonight's report.:)

Out of respect for Obe-Wan-Rugby we should go with the latter!;)
I saw uncle Lee chatting with a couple of swarthy gentlemen this morning @ Lloydies v SA. Hope he wasn't organising a hit on gristlechewer for giving a match report;)
Good to see such lovely weather today too.
Rugby Club is on.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Hey Brian it was me who named Harry Jones mate. I was responding to the post of GC :cool:

with respect to Jack the lad, oh yes, he is definitely a hard-working quiet achiever!
Jack the lad is year 11 too I just found out from a snout. Him and Kellaway the only ones?

Bill McLean (32)
Haven't the under 17 year old lads come to the party this year. We are set for a cracking day of rugby on Saturday. For mine this will settle who sits on the bench as opposed to who starts in the Aussie teams.

Good weather has also been forecasted.

Bill McLean (32)
For me last year was always a foregone conclusion with respect to the ultimate result, but this year there is just something in the air that tells me NSW are going to take it out; and I do sincerely hope I am not working myself into an anti-climax for Saturday:)

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
QLD 1’s 13 def NSW 2’s 10

A very interesting game. I thought that NSW 2’s had the better of it in the very early stages but that all changed after QLD 1’s settled and when they lead 13-0 at half time after dominating for long stages it was looking like a matter of by how far. In fact given the amount of possession that they had, the fine work of their loose forwards at the breakdown and the simply scintillating attack across the whole of their backline they should have been even further ahead.
They started off brightly in the second half as well but lost momentum after flanker Braedon Hood was yellow carded for a lifting tackle. NSW got back into it with a penalty soon after and started to lift noticeably after choosing to regularly pick and drive through the forwards. They dominated possession for a large part of the second half and their choice of keeping it in the piggies paid off when McCalman scored close to the posts with Porch’s conversion getting them to 10-13. They received a couple of long range penalties in the dying stages and seemed to at least be considering a penalty attempt especially with the very strong breeze at their backs. However they chose instead to keep the ball in hand but their efforts were ultimately in vain with the clock sealing their fine second half effort.

Best Players:

QLD – 15 Jonah Placid was outstanding and has a mortgage on the Oz 15 jumper. 11 Monty Ioane will not be far behind him in the que – equally scintillating. 4 Jack Cornelsen was very visible in both attack and defence and has a fine future ahead of him as has 8 Lolo Fakaosilea who hit as hard as he ran. 1. Aaron Pleash did some very good work at scrum time and 22. Sam Greene who started at 10 gave his very potent backs very sublime service.

NSW – 3 Tom Robertson was excellent with his carries and did plenty of fine work at the breakdown as did 6 Declan O’Donohoe. 13 Lalakai Foketi is just pure class – a strong defender, great footwork and a beautiful fend but he seemed to be left doing a lot of the grunt work with the ball in hand in the first half when his forwards other than Robertson and 8. Albert Hemopo didn’t seem overly willing to get things going forward. 11 Harry Jones got very few opportunities but looked dangerous on the rare occasion the ball got out to him – I couldn’t understand why they didn’t try to get the ball into his hands in the dying stages even when he came in looking for it as he was the most likely of the outside backs to do something that might have won it for them. 2 Ben Carolan and 20 Jack McCalman lifted the forwards intensity and go forward when they both came on as replacements in the second half.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
1. Aaron Pleash
2. Stewart Nutt or Ben Carolan
3. Tristan Schneider
4. Harry Rorke
5. Jack Cornelson
6. Declan O'Donahue c
7. Jack McCalman
8. Arthur Currie
9. Adam Deck
10. Jake McIntyre