• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill McLean (32)
Given that sevens is to become an Olympic sport in 2016 at the Rio games, I think it would be a fair assessment that popularity will explode post 2012.

I personally hope that the ARU seize this perfect 'stepping stone' opportunity of introducing rugby (as a whole) into schools that are league dominated (i.e. NSWCCC and NSWCHS).

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
On this arguement about the value of sevens to develop players, how many of the current AB's came through 7's and how many of their good schoolboys were involved in 7's in the past 5 years.

Do the AB's see 7's as a good pathway for developing younger players or are they considered better off playing in the ITM cup

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
IIRC the Darkness had a kid in the last year at Hamilton BHS playing for the national 7's team on the circuit last year.

As has been said elsewhere, 7's is really only good for a couple of jobs in the 15's game. 100kg inside center from the 15's version of the ganme could perform as a 7's prop. Similarly a runty agressive #9, #6, or#7 could play as a hooker in the 7's format. They could not perform in those roles in the 15 aside version.

A wing or fullback/sweeper like Kellaway fits in well in that role in both 7's and 15's. Paint blistering pace and a good set of hands being the main pre-requisite.

DJ Forbes, and Tomasi Cava, demigods of the Darkness 7's machine are simple ITM cup journeymen in the longer version of the game.

dermo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Given that sevens is a game based more on attack rather than defence, I would generally be inclined to agree with you, especially given the lad is 'red hot' when it comes going forward fast! Nevertheless we must not discount that the coach Michael O'Connor (the el supremo of 'Dual Coders') who i beleive is still at the helm (and will be for a time to come) is somewhat of a stickler for defence! Especially one on one defence where it is so prevalent in the sevens game.

Given this position I don't believe young Jones will cut the mustard anytime soon. IMO his defence still needs work! I know others will state that the defence of HJ is sound, and like all in here, they are entitled to their opinion. But I have seen HJ in games where he has been caught wanting!

I can still vividly recall one instance last year when a rampaging SG Ball winger by the name of Robert Taufa ran at HJ during the NSW Regional tournament (U/16 MNZ v Barbarians) and with only HJ between him and the try line, Taufa ran over HJ in a fashion that very much alike to what Jonah Lomu did to Mike Catt in the NZ v England RWC Semi in 1995. Taufa haunted him all game to be honest!

Like anyone else I'm up for being converted to your way of thinking CTPE, but I am a 'seeing is believing' type and i have not seen HJ really tested ('emphasis added') thus far in 2012; nothing that has changed my earlier opinion!

Watch him next time he has to defend a 2 v 1, goes for the intercept everytime

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Watch him next time he has to defend a 2 v 1, goes for the intercept everytime
I'll have him in my team. What HJ lacks in defence he more than make up with so may other facets of play. Can kick. Can run. Knows where the try line is.
just because he missed one tackle on some neville doesn't mean you hang the kid. SH*T... Tell me how many tackles Campo, St. Andre, Habana et al make/made? Punters don't come to watch tackles Dermo, they come to watch tries being scored and HJ knows that part of his game downpat. and from what I can gather, a REAL TEAM man that fits in with all. He should be nurtured, not castigated.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Given that sevens is to become an Olympic sport in 2016 at the Rio games, I think it would be a fair assessment that popularity will explode post 2012.

I personally hope that the ARU seize this perfect 'stepping stone' opportunity of introducing rugby (as a whole) into schools that are league dominated (i.e. NSWCCC and NSWCHS).
very much like your idea!!!

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
That was for you too Newbs.... Got the finger(s) working in rhythm yet old mate?. God, I love a self imposed exile. Even it was only 5 days. :)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I'll have him in my team. What HJ lacks in defence he more than make up with so may other facets of play. Can kick. Can run. Knows where the try line is.
just because he missed one tackle on some neville doesn't mean you hang the kid. SH*T. Tell me how many tackles Campo, St. Andre, Habana et al make/made? Punters don't come to watch tackles Dermo, they come to watch tries being scored and HJ knows that part of his game downpat. and from what I can gather, a REAL TEAM man that fits in with all. He should be nurtured, not castigated.
Even if he did leave the old SGS for TKS....just like Huxley before him

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
I've always known him to put his body on the line and for a 16 year old winger he's got a pretty fair physique - 92 kgs as posted by LG earlier. I think you'll find that he's playing on the wing at Kings as Jack Tourish is ahead of him at fullback.
The NT Fullback?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Not much - marginally - maybe....there's more to it. His brother finished at SGS in 2011, played GPS 3's (I think) as a centre and is playing Warringah Colts I's on the wing

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Very well said Lee. Also this is exactly why I dont understand the high level of posts on these soon to be nobodies. Private school players who forgo colts rugby in Yr 12 will also find it harder to make the transition.

I think Lee's point is valid: that school Rugby should be enjoyed for its own sake and for the pleasure of spotting potential senior players.

But you need to keep perspective about it. If I look at the players who were in the Australian Schools team in my last year at school, there was maybe one future Wallaby, a sprinkling of State representatives and a whole bunch of guys who never made it past Colts. That's less likely to happen nowadays, but still I hope there are people reminding these kids that an Australian Schools jumper is a fine achievement in its own right, but that within a year or two they go into grade or colts with a whole bunch of players who have just as much chance of making it in the senior ranks. No-one ever made a fuss about players like Justin Harrison when they were 18.

It's largely about attitude. A kid who thinks his gold jersey is a fast ticket to the top will go nowhere. A boy who uses it as an inspiration to go after the real thing has a chance.

It's also about luck. If you're, say, Cameron Clark or Brogan Roods, you confound any predictions about your future by getting injured. Not their fault, I hasten to add, but that factor plays a part in determining the future of these players.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
That would be consistent with this being more about player development / pathway, than (necessarily) about being the champion team - the real pot of "gold" has an Australian schools jumper in it!

& in truth, while i was talking about getting through the NSW selection carry on in the above, at the end of this season for the year 12 boys it all starts again - Australian Schools is just another stop on the line to the top & I hasten to add, not a compulsory one at that.

H

HarveyColon

Not much - marginally - maybe..there's more to it. His brother finished at SGS in 2011, played GPS 3's (I think) as a centre and is playing Warringah Colts I's on the wing

yes you mean maxwell jones.......and no they don't live near parramatta

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
& in truth, while i was talking about getting through the NSW selection carry on in the above, at the end of this season for the year 12 boys it all starts again - Australian Schools is just another stop on the line to the top & I hasten to add, not a compulsory one at that.
MOTH and Snort,
Thank you for putting perspective into "The Journey". Everyone seems so caught up at this time of the year, halfway through most's season and GPS yet to start, stressing about Olympic 7's, S15 etc. Shit!!!! Half of these kids are about to sit their HSC and then move to the next stage of their lives. It may be a gap year, apprenticeship, University and many other areas of employment ( I hope for all). Lets all sit back on the collective high horse and watch for a bit. We all may be surprised to see what unfolds.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There will undoubtably be tweaks made the Schoolboys for the end of year tour to the Shakey Isles where Darkness reigns supreme.

Any date when the final touring squad will be announced?

Vanuatu Chiefs

Sydney Middleton (9)
There will undoubtably be tweaks made the Schoolboys for the end of year tour to the Shakey Isles where Darkness reigns supreme.

Any date when the final touring squad will be announced?

At the conclusion of LG's post at #537 he said: "28 players will be chosen to tour Fiji and NZ and the team will be announced on 14th August."

With upcoming domestic matches there'll be chances for incumbents and aspirants to shine.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Indeed, including some injured players, who missed the Oz Championship, like 2nd rowers Tom Staniforth of Canberra Grammar and Josh Schwager of Joeys (who can also play no.8).

Apart from Rorke, the Oz Schools 2nd row is lacking something IMO - not so much in lineout expertise, diligence, general skill or even work rate - but in physique, toughness and bloody-mindedness.

Status
Not open for further replies.