• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

G-78-XV-V

looks like injury has forced the first change....Randell is out of Aust. 'A'---- McCalman in !!

E

elcapitano

Why wasn't tom "piggy" robertson picked in oz team, seems this guy cant catch a break in the selection process

pine cone 3

Frank Nicholson (4)
Guessing who will be in the starting XV:

1. Aaron Pleash Ipswich Grammar School QLD 1
2. Tom Wilson Barker College NSW 1
3. Siotame Kavapalu Rowville Secondary College VIC
4. Harry Rorke St Ignatius College NSW 1
5. Jack Cornelsen Brisbane Grammar School QLD 1
6. Lolo Fakaosilea Brisbane Boys College QLD 1
7. Jack Dempsey St Ignatius College NSW 1
8. Mitchell Whiteley St Ignatius College NSW 1
9. Andrew Ferris The Kings School NSW 2
10. David Horwitz The Scots College NSW 1
11. Andrew Kellaway The Scots College NSW 1
12. Jim Stewart The Scots College NSW 1
13. Lalakai Foketi The Kings School NSW 2
14. Harry Jones The Kings School NSW 2
15. Jake McIntyre Alstonville High School NSW 1

16. Moli Sooaemalelagi Roxburgh Park Sec College VIC
17. Cameron Orr Trinity Grammar School NSW 2
18. Neori Nadruku St Edmund’s College ACT
19. Matthew Philip St Augustine’s College NSW 2
20. Michael Gunn Anglican Church Grammar QLD 1
21. Angus Pulver The Shore School CS
22. Andrew Robinson St Mary MacKillop College ACT
23. Jonah Placid Toowoomba Grammar School QLD 1

With regard to future selection I wouldn't think the selectors will stray too far from who they have selected in the past and some of them showed a bit of form today. Kellaway is a smart player and shows great composure and should get the nod over Jones who showed a bit of hesitance today. Valentini of Victoria looks a talent and the Storm probably know it too. Ioane is OK but needs to pass when he has unmarked players in support. Placid is scintillating in attack but I agree they didn't pick McIntyre at 15 for no reason. Stewart ran hard, straight and often today while Tuttle, although slighter of build is in good form. Horwitz was there last year and will be there again although Greene showed some good touches. Pulver has a nice mix to his game and actually finds space when he runs.

Whiteley on previous selection probably but the Victorian No8 is the right athlete for the position and likes body contact which is a pre requisite to playing in NZ later. I tend to agree with P-C-3 so if they want a ball running player Dempsey gets the 7 jumper and Gunn gets the 6. I was impressed with the 2 Qld locks, especially Cornelsons' lineout and general play but Rorke is likely to be picked after last years selection. Manukeu is a smokey. Robertson is strong and mobile and can scrummage and 2 of the Victorian boys are moving fridges but safer to go with a rugby state background in the dark arts positions, maybe the the Qld LH or even Orr. Wilson over Carolan for the lineout throwing.

I'll be surprised if there are too many untried selections in the main team but it's anyones guess for the A squad.

*My apolagies to the ACT but I only saw the one game and nobody had "pick me" games.

Hey Stonecutter,

Apart from Tuttle you have just about nailed the main selections including reserves. Who do you know? Your reasoning is fairly straight forward but your reckoning on the No7 position proved 100% and Orr's inclusion is from left field too. Anything else?

smokinjoe

Ward Prentice (10)
And, talking of Orr, I thought I spotted him at THP in Trinity's 2011 CAS premiership team - to whoever thought he was new to the position.
Orr has played prop for Trinity 13A,14A and 15A teams and then last year in their winning Ist XV. Also for CAS Under 16 team last year (where he played in a few other spots as well as needed!). So plenty of experience in the front row over many years - deserved selection.

Vanuatu Chiefs

Sydney Middleton (9)
Snip...

PS, how do you insert someone else's message like you did??

KOB1987, if you wish to reply to a fellow poster, hit "reply" (next to "like") in the bottom right hand corner of that poster's post & hey presto, it will appear.

What game is depicted in your avatar?

Congratulations to all boys, family, friends & schools on their selections - wishing you every success.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Also special mention to Pulver for being the first Shore boy to make Australian schools for at least 10 years.

P

phillipbmf

Noa Nadruku was playing 2nd Grade for Easts in the ACT in the early 2000's and still has the odd run for the lower grades when he can if I remember correctly. Empire might be able to confirm this one though.

P

phillipbmf

There is a lot of discussion ..I assume the QLD selectors will not be required to admit their bias ..and they stuffed it.

S

Scotstothefore8

Surely they wouldn't swap McCalman for Randell since both Murphy and O'Donahue played better and are better than McCalman hence why McCalman was on the bench

interested68

Bob McCowan (2)
Very interesting I thought Tuttle was a certainty. Of those who were fortunate enough to watch all week, did he under perform or were there just better backs on the day. Usually reputation comes before form in these type of selections.
The other interesting selection was Manns in Aus A. He surely was not up there with other number 8's at this level. Thoughts anyone?
Didnt see him play but heard good things. played every minute of every game so must have been doing something right.

Ruck time

Bob McCowan (2)
Does anyone know how many of these kids stayed back at school an extra year (presumably for rugby)? I see few names from last years team lists and was wondering if they were very good year 11 players last year, or are have another crack by staying school for a repeat year 12???

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Does anyone know how many of these kids stayed back at school an extra year (presumably for rugby)? I see few names from last years team lists and was wondering if they were very good year 11 players last year, or are have another crack by staying school for a repeat year 12???

Sam Greene - Aus 'A' is the only Queenslander I know of that repeated, I am sure he is not the only one though.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
A few surprising QLD ommisions dalgliesh and manu?? the latter i heard is already signed to reds academy for next year

Not surprised about Dalgliesh, he was up against stiff competition from Horwitz and McIntyre. Probably finished well down the pecking order of fly-halves after reading the reviews.

Andrew Manu's omission is very odd, he was the top hooker for his age in QLD last year and would have been one of the first chosen for QLD this year. Postale has been a member of Nudgee's 1st XV for three years now so he has obvious quality, can't falter that selection although Manu must be very disappointed.

The only real shock for me in terms of QLD was Jack Tuttle in the 'A's, then again we probably should have expected it when Jim Stewart was named for NSW 1, it is concerning that not one Queensland backline member made the 1's, Placid being the exception but he is surely behind McIntyre for the 15 jersey.. I thought QLD was pretty bare on locks this year but appears to be their strongest position, Cornelsen, Preen and Korczyk are quality players.

Here's hoping that we can beat the kiwi's this year!

LG, is Kellaway the only Year 11 in Oz schools this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.