• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Connors

Sydney Middleton (9)
What does the future hold? Who'll be back?

(2014 Status To be confirmed)
Junior FAKAOSILEA St Patrick’s College QLD 1

Mitch THIRD The Southport School QLD 1
Brad WILKIN Iona College QLD 1

Sam CLIFTON The Southport School QLD 1

Evander GUTTENBEIL The Southport School QLD 1

Doug MACMILLAN Anglican Church Grammar QLD 2
Can confirm that these players will be playing colts next year as they are all a year older and turning 18 this year

Daniel Denton

Stan Wickham (3)
I don't mean to sound pedantic but Hutchison is not spelt 'Hutchinson'. Great work by the young lad, he was out-sized, but what he does have that can't be taught is pure speed. Some say he looked to go a little sideways at times but he is a very determined footballer who does understand the need to go straight as well. Up against intimidating centres 2 years older, he performed quite well. The other asset he has is durability. This is his first year playing at 13. He is has previously played at 10, 12 and 15.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Wyclif Palu's first game of rugby were playing colts with Manly. He had played junior league with Mona Vale up to that point. So, yes it is possible to make it without being selected in schoolboy rep teams.

In fact, as has been pointed out by Inside Shoulder and others, the majority of the boys picked won't end up being professional rugby players. Some will be overtaken by boys who put in more work or develop later and others will simply have other priorities in life, which don't (shock horror) involve playing/training for rugby 6 days a week.

strokeside

Larry Dwyer (12)
From what I've heard the following boys are in the Schoolboys team:
Newington - Vuni Fifita, Taane Milne, Tepai Morea and Lachlan Cannell
Joeys - Ned Hanigan, Matthew Sandell and Andrew Deegan
Riverview - Henry Hutchinson
Scots - Andrew Kellaway and Mitch Short
Kings - Jack McCallman

In Aus A
Newington - Joey Lussick, David Morris and Mesuilame Foliaki
Scots - Angus Crichton and Olly Kamp
Riverview - Hosea Fotokuva

Well done to all the boys picked, especially to Henry Hutchinson for making it from under 16s!

HaHaHa, is this a case of "GPS selective hearing"

strokeside

Larry Dwyer (12)
Union don't want this lad and others and that's fine but its Union's loss and NRL Gain..

Roar, I think you and yours need to take a big deep breath here. This "lad" has just played for the NSW I's, the BEST school players in NSW, and, in case you hadn't realised are the 2013 Australian Schoolboy Champions. I'm sure, with persistence, he will soon find the greater success that he(and you) are after.

Bill McLean (32)
The Toyota Cup salary cap is 250k between 20 players so $12.5k on average. Bit off on the 40-50k, maybe 20-30k for the best players.

Generally $20K per season is paid to the better ones and between $5-10K for the rest. I would also note that some do not receive any monies at all! The NYC is not all that it is cracked up to be!

Bill McLean (32)
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... There's a nice point in all of this: these kids are minors so there must be a question mark as to their legal capacity to enter into a contract to play league after they leave school ... ... ... ... ... ...

I hope this helps in answering the question.

Section 19 of the Minors (Contract and Property) Act 1970 (NSW) states:

Where a minor participates in a civil act and his or her participation is for his or her benefit at the time of his or her participation, the civil act is presumptively binding on the minor.

Bill McLean (32)
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
On the U20s RL, its the most ridiculous competition in any sport I know of and it needs to be abolished as soon as possible. It breeds arrogant players (I cant say footballers) who have no concept of defense. Many have the attitude of having "made it" once playing U20s.
To follow this model in RU would be counter productive, there are many more things that need to be done before stepping into this quagmire.
I would like to know how 5 super rugby teams gives a young player more prospects than 18 NRL sides (plus the many other professional compeititions).
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
The single most important thing to remember is that its about 0.01% of all kids that play RL or RU get to play it professionally at the top level.
Yet we spend a hell of a lot of time worrying about them instead of the other 99% that support the game.

Very true and profound comments, especially those I have taken the liberty of highlighting! Well said!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I hope this helps in answering the question.

Section 19 of the Minors (Contract and Property) Act 1970 (NSW) states:

Where a minor participates in a civil act and his or her participation is for his or her benefit at the time of his or her participation, the civil act is presumptively binding on the minor.

yep - but if he wanted to get out of it it would not be too hard to argue that missing out on the game they play in heaven for a lousy $7k was not for his benefit o_O

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I don't mean to sound pedantic but Hutchison is not spelt 'Hutchinson'. Great work by the young lad, he was out-sized, but what he does have that can't be taught is pure speed. Some say he looked to go a little sideways at times but he is a very determined footballer who does understand the need to go straight as well. Up against intimidating centres 2 years older, he performed quite well. The other asset he has is durability. This is his first year playing at 13. He is has previously played at 10, 12 and 15.

jeez,please never give me support.
It's hardly a ringing endorsement.It doesn't seem like you think he is the 3rd best centre in the country ATM.

Rugby Winner

Bob McCowan (2)
No Paenga-Amosa :confused: but happy to see my Smoky Tufui made it!:D

Apparently he backed up yesterday and helped his first Grade Colts side win against Warringah, Rat Park. As bruised and battered as he was after a week of school boy rugby physically (and probably emotionally not making selection) great attitude to get back out there on the park.

Bill McLean (32)
yep - but if he wanted to get out of it it would not be too hard to argue that missing out on the game they play in heaven for a lousy $7k was not for his benefit o_O

IS,

Generally speaking you would think not, but it would depend on the vindictiveness of the club trying to keep the player and the remedies they would pursue in doing so (at the very least the lad would have to pay back the money).

Bill McLean (32)
Roar, I think you and yours need to take a big deep breath here. This "lad" has just played for the NSW I's, the BEST school players in NSW, and, in case you hadn't realised are the 2013 Australian Schoolboy Champions. I'm sure, with persistence, he will soon find the greater success that he(and you) are after.

Quite correct Strokeside, cream will always rise to the top eventually!

Bill McLean (32)
Gents,

In an earlier post I made it known that I was surprised that Paenga-Amosa was not selected in any of the teams. Can anyone who attended most of the games able to lend any viewpoints as to why this may have been the case?

As several of you already know I have been on somewhat of a month long 'bender' since the 'Mighty Lions' arrived. To be honest it was quite refreshing to wake up this morning without any semblance of a hangover. I dare say the 'spike' in 'Berocca' shares will subside during this mornings trading at the ASX!

Perhaps his yellow card went someway to his preclusion. Thoughts?

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
Gents,

In an earlier post I made it known that I was surprised that Paenga-Amosa was not selected in any of the teams. Can anyone who attended most of the games able to lend any viewpoints as to why this may have been the case?

Perhaps his yellow card went someway to his preclusion. Thoughts?

I've seen Brandon in a few CHS games this season, and I know for sure he's nursing an AC injury, and seems a bit quiet around the paddock generally. In the games last week he did all the right things. I wasn't watching for him in particular, and in that game watching mode, he didn't come to my attention very often. Perhaps he's just a little off form, or the injury(ies) slowing him down.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I saw most of his games.
I was expecting he would be selected in one of the teams.
He was strong over the ball,but did not steal a lot of ball.
Maybe that's why?
He would have been a great bench option to cover 6,7,8.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Never seen him before but he caught my eye - primarily because I expect to see him move forward in the pack in coming years: or is that an unlikely development?
I saw him play twice - thought he may have been unlucky to be the one to get the yellow.
He did not seem to get much opportunity with the ball: certainly not as much as the NSW Is backrow did.
Would not have been surprised either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.