• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill McLean (32)
Interesting sums here, even at a min, a squad at around 250K, per team, per season, really??

Yes indeed.

I did however say 'Representative' players so I am talking about only those who have been chosen for NSW/QLD U/18 and U/20's rugby league teams, Australian Schools (league and to a certain degree rugby), NZ representative teams (league and rugby).

Most teams only have 1 or 2 of such players in their teams.

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)
IS,

Would your opinion/view be swayed if the price tag was a minimum $15-25K for the first year of Holden Cup and doubling in the second year?

They are the figures representative players (i.e. state and/or national - from both Australia or NZ - rugby or league) coming into the Holden Cup are attracting. And I'm not even adding on the potential bonuses such lads will make if they play NRL during this time.

I remember my shock and dismay when Tuivasa-Scheck (2011 NZ Schools) signed for the Roosters; I knew we had issues in Australia but it also exposed NZ's problem as well. He would have been offered seriou dollars at the time of conversion.

Interesting: Thought there was a cap of $250k for the top 20 NYC players plus some allowances for living away from home, education fees.

So how would a U20 player be on $15-25k in their 1st year and doubling in the 2nd year?

Bill McLean (32)
You seem pretty keen on the other code ... ... ... ... ... ...

As I have stated in the past, I grew up with league but converted to rugby for obvious reasons. For me its the better game.

Nevertheless having legal and sports admin/mgmt qualifications means I walk both sides of the fence.

Bill McLean (32)
Interesting: Thought there was a cap of $250k for the top 20 NYC players plus some allowances for living away from home, education fees.

So how would a U20 player be on $15-25k in their 1st year and doubling in the 2nd year?

Read my post at #903.

Bill McLean (32)

And not forgetting that some of the top U/20's in most squads are actually included in the respective team's NRL roster for purposes of the salary cap.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Traveling the eastern seaboard: Hey they're all going to the northern England this month for the RLWC (don't all cheer at once it is such a dismal part of England - especially in winter)

Yeah but blokes like Civoneceva are playing for Fiji (?) so its hardly anything more than a circus and when was the last time it happened?

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)
As I have stated in the past, I grew up with league but converted to rugby for obvious reasons. For me its the better game.

Nevertheless having legal and sports admin/mgmt qualifications means I walk both sides of the fence.

So who in the Oz schoolboys squad do you have on your books?:D

Bill McLean (32)
So who in the Oz schoolboys squad do you have on your books?:D

In all honesty, I don't have any! I was thinking of going into player management but it is so cut-throat for so little gain. Unlike America and Europe our sports are not what you would describe as being substantially rich.

I do however offer contract and career advice ('pro bono') to aspirants and their families. That is how I keep my eye in.

I am also involved with a junior rugby club. That is why I am passionate about our grass-roots and it neglect for the last 10 years or so. Like @Hugh Jarse I have cooked many a snag in my day (often on Saturday mornings). In saying that I have decided to become a rugby ref for next season!

blackheart

Peter Burge (5)
Taane Milne to the Roosters.

This to me is a real issue that needs sorting out. I do not have an issue with any boy playing both codes, but when they commit to a contract, and and turn their backs on, in this case rugby, then they IMO should loose their rugby representative opportunity. Hutch is a perfect example of a top quality rugby replacement, I'm guessing he, along with plenty of others, are more than capable of filling the void left by those who choose the other code. Where is the farness, if say Hutch (as an example) missed on touring, if a league CONTRACTED players were chosen in front of him.

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)
In all honesty, I don't have any! I was thinking of going into player management but it is so cut-throat for so little gain. Unlike America and Europe our sports are not what you would describe as being substantially rich.

I do however offer contract and career advice ('pro bono') to aspirants and their families. That is how I keep my eye in.

I am also involved with a junior rugby club. That is why I am passionate about our grass-roots and it neglect for the last 10 years or so. Like @Hugh Jarse I have cooked many a snag in my day (often on Saturday mornings). In saying that I have decided to become a rugby ref for next season!

So you have masosadistic tendencies.:D

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
This to me is a real issue that needs sorting out. I do not have an issue with any boy playing both codes, but when they commit to a contract, and and turn their backs on, in this case rugby, then they IMO should loose their rugby representative opportunity. Hutch is a perfect example of a top quality rugby replacement, I'm guessing he, along with plenty of others, are more than capable of filling the void left by those who choose the other code. Where is the farness, if say Hutch (as an example) missed on touring, if a league CONTRACTED players were chosen in front of him.

I'm in 2 minds on this point and as I understand Uncle Lee's frequent reminders Oz Schools are not a development team for the ARU. As far as they're concerned this is the pinnacle. Its their call, IMO.
I would have thought that this issue might be dealt with in another way: I anticipate the MIlne will be expected at Roosters training shortly (4 weeks?) and they might not release him to tour (I apologise is this has been covered before).

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
:DAnswer: No it wasn't. He was probably Fijian mate:D

:mad: PS: I had to ring my father for that translation and copped an earful as to why I should have learnt Gaelic like my older brother. Cheers for that one Brian?:mad:
Hahahaha!! This is what happens Newbs!!!!
I am going to let you in on a little secret. Mrs Westlake is still fluent and she helped me. Left foot as all get out and will still speak to her Ma and Da in it. I just thought she was clearing her throat :) :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.