• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rock

Ward Prentice (10)
From what I hear about young Jones I can only say that I have 150% respect for him. If the stories of his loyalty to Newport over schools who think they own kids are true then he deserves support from all of our community. I would not be surprised if the Sea Eagles were chasing him and if true that he has rebuffed them it is a win for rugby. As The Rock points out, I don't think he is a League winger as the position requires skills alien to rugby such as jumping and catching. However I understand from a close source that they are struggling for wingers who can do likewise so no wonder they would at least consider him.
Jones is a Very Good Rugby Player but he is Not a Leaguie and he would have to work on a lot of Aspects of his game to Switch Over, one of them is Tackling, Defence, moves, patterns etc. Jones does not have the Leaguie Mongrel as well. After Speaking to Some Officials at Manly recently. They are aware of Jones But are Not Interested, they have even said he is Not Suited to League. They have great Backs and Wingers there, who have come through their System. One of the Wingers there is an Australian Schoolboys Player, plus other Australian Schoolboys as well. I can see Jones playing in the Sevens Programme with his Attacking Abilities, he would be Awesome and a Star in this.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Nothing at all from aru or schools. Not surprised by very disappointed. Thanks @cdeegan for the updates! Wales A win 18-15. Sounds like the home refs had interesting interpretations.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Jones is a Very Good Rugby Player but he is Not a Leaguie and he would have to work on a lot of Aspects of his game to Switch Over, one of them is Tackling, Defence, moves, patterns etc. Jones does not have the Leaguie Mongrel as well. After Speaking to Some Officials at Manly recently. They are aware of Jones But are Not Interested, they have even said he is Not Suited to League. They have great Backs and Wingers there, who have come through their System. One of the Wingers there is an Australian Schoolboys Player, plus other Australian Schoolboys as well. I can see Jones playing in the Sevens Programme with his Attacking Abilities, he would be Awesome and a Star in this.
Look, definitely don't want this to become a Harry Jones thread especially now the schools games have commenced, although he WAS made an offer as first noted by Done That. He DID tour the facilities with "your mate" Dave Warwick. He DID consider it but the lure of 7s football and the Olympics was too good to refuse. He is an athlete and that is what league these days is about. 6"1'- 2" probably one of the fastest at club if he signed, good vision and ball skills can kick both feet, all of these you can't teach. Tackling, defence, moves patterns etc can all be taught. Would have taken time to adjust but would have had a good shot at it. The club were very keen. Anyway back to the tour.

The Rock

Ward Prentice (10)
Look, definitely don't want this to become a Harry Jones thread especially now the schools games have commenced, although he WAS made an offer as first noted by Done That. He DID tour the facilities with "your mate" Dave Warwick. He DID consider it but the lure of 7s football and the Olympics was too good to refuse. He is an athlete and that is what league these days is about. 6"1'- 2" probably one of the fastest at club if he signed, good vision and ball skills can kick both feet, all of these you can't teach. Tackling, defence, moves patterns etc can all be taught. Would have taken time to adjust but would have had a good shot at it. The club were very keen. Anyway back to the tour.
I agree lets get off this Subject, but that is your Opinion and you love Harry and maybe related ? But unless you were there with him at Manly and not hearing it second hand as I have heard it from the horses mouth, I know the Facts, so to speak and by the way he would not be the fastest there either, Lol. by a long shot. I am down most weeknights and mornings assisting with Manly's Training, you can come down and see for yourself at Narrabeen. Just look out for a Big 6'5 Muscular Man and come and say Hello.
Now back onto the Australian Schoolboys Rugby, I have a Relative playing , so interested. Will there be any photos etc. on here with their games ?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Harry Jones will do well in rugby union and I hope that he stays in our code. He is a good lad and has the potential to be a Super Rugby player if he gets through his first few years dealing with Colts and Grade.

If he gets a gig in Sevens it will do him no harm to play on a big stage either.

His ability to punt long distances with both feet and not having to adjust his position to kick off his right foot (his goal kicking foot) is a priceless attribute for a fullback, and would be wasted in the 13-man code. And it would help to be able to play on either wing as well.

He is brave in the tackle and is generous in passing to supporting players.

But let's look at a report on the first game of the tour from someone with the team:

Match Report – Australian Schools v Wales A U18s
Date: 22/11/13

Venue – Neath Rugby Club, Neath

Clear but cold conditions greeted both teams at kick off for the clash between Australian Schools and Wales A under 18s at Neath Rugby Park.

The Welsh Boys enjoyed early field position due to some aggressive, direct running and some early Australian mistakes with the ball. In the 13th minute, an incisive run from Welsh full back, Morgan Williams, created space for inside centre, Tyler Morgan who evaded two defenders to score the first points of the match. The try was converted by fly half, Dan Jones and Wales A lead 7-0.

Not long after the restart, Wales A were back on the attack gaining field position once again. An Australian mistake leads to a scrum being formed. The Welsh scrum half set up space for a raid down the short side and after linking with support runners, supported well to crash over in the corner. The conversion was unsuccessful but Wales A lead 12 -0.

Australia slowly gained some ascendancy in the match and threatened the Welsh defence on several occasions but it was in the 25th minute when a rampaging Taane Milne shrugged off defenders to score the first try of the tour. Mitchell Third converted the try but Wales A retained the lead at 12-7 as both teams went to the break.

From the kick off, it was Australia’s turn to control possession and generate pressure. Following some good controlled play from the forwards, fly half Mitchell Third found himself in space to score just left of the uprights.
Unfortunately, Mitchell was unable to convert his own try but the score was all locked up at 12-12.

Wales A gained field position from the restart and applied great pressure on the Australian defence once again. Australian back rower, David Morris was yellow carded for a careless tackle and the team was left a Man down.

From the penalty, Welsh fly half Dan Jones was successful with the kick and Wales A quickly regained the lead 15-12. Australia kicked off and was playing with great enthusiasm and purpose.

A Welsh infringement leads to an Australian penalty within kicking range. Mitchell Third stepped up to the mark and the scores were level at 15-15.

Both teams played entertaining attacking during the back end of the match and it was a penalty kick within range for the Welsh in the 65th minute that would separate the two teams. Wales A kicker, Jones calmly potted the goal and the welsh held on for a well deserved win.

Another person said that Campbell Magnay tore his hamstring seriously in training and will miss the rest of the tour.

He also said that there were some interesting refereeing decisions.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Here it is:

Oz Schools v Wales A.JPG

Jackass

Bob McCowan (2)
Campbell Magnay is believed to have a serious grade 3 hamstring tear and won't play again on tour. The boys were previously advised that players who are injured to that extent would be sent home as soon as it was reasonable to do so.

Scrum time was interesting with three free kicks against us for incorrect scrum feeds and another four scrum penalties. No penalties in that regard against Wales. The boys will have to adjust to the Home town refereeing quickly.

strokeside

Larry Dwyer (12)
Campbell Magnay is believed to have a serious grade 3 hamstring tear and won't play again on tour. The boys were previously advised that players who are injured to that extent would be sent home as soon as it was reasonable to do so.

Scrum time was interesting with three free kicks against us for incorrect scrum feeds and another four scrum penalties. No penalties in that regard against Wales. The boys will have to adjust to the Home town refereeing quickly.

Thanks Jackass,
it appears that you are "on tour". It will be good to get some unofficial match info. Please keep it coming, much appreciated.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Match Schedule
22 Nov v Wales A - Neath RFC - Australia 15 Wales A 18
27 Nov v Wales - Neath RFC
1 Dec v Ospreys - venue tbc
4 Dec v England - Harrow School
8 Dec v Scotland - Edinburgh
11 Dec v Leinster Schools - Dublin
14 Dec v Ireland - Belfast
17 Dec v Munster Schools - Limerick

Looking at the team list for this game, it doesn't look like they did not roll out the No 1 team. They will be better for the experience of playing under NH weather conditions, NH team tactics and game plans and referee interpretations.

Bloody shame to see Magnay returning home under injury. He played well in the games at Knox. Will there be a replacement flown in from the shadow selections?

The Rock

Ward Prentice (10)
Match Schedule
22 Nov v Wales A - Neath RFC - Australia 15 Wales A 18
27 Nov v Wales - Neath RFC
1 Dec v Ospreys - venue tbc
4 Dec v England - Harrow School
8 Dec v Scotland - Edinburgh
11 Dec v Leinster Schools - Dublin
14 Dec v Ireland - Belfast
17 Dec v Munster Schools - Limerick

Looking at the team list for this game, it doesn't look like they did not roll out the No 1 team. They will be better for the experience of playing under NH weather conditions, NH team tactics and game plans and referee interpretations.

Bloody shame to see Magnay returning home under injury. He played well in the games at Knox. Will there be a replacement flown in from the shadow selections?
Poor Kid, Bloody Hamstrings, A grade 3 can take much longer to heal or need surgery. I hope they have the Exercise Bikes over there during games to keep them warmed up, especially Bench Players. Big Fan of Skins Tights, Especially over there, long Ones for training and the Knee length Short Ones for games, some Athletes and Footy Players Swear by them and say it reduces the chance for Hamstring and Quadriceps Injuries.

The Rock

Ward Prentice (10)
Poor Kid, Bloody Hamstrings, A grade 3 can take much longer to heal or need surgery. I hope they have the Exercise Bikes over there during games to keep them warmed up, especially Bench Players. Big Fan of Skins Tights, Especially over there, long Ones for training and the Knee length Short Ones for games, some Athletes and Footy Players Swear by them and say it reduces the chance for Hamstring and Quadriceps Injuries.

No Tepai ???

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Slightly off topic but related to above, I think I have read somewhere that skins/compression garments are better worn after the athletic activity as a recovery tool rather than during the activity. If this is correct then are they worn by players during games as a placebo effect, and to emulate various high profile players who are often paid to wear and spruik such products.

Not all that many cameras broadcasting recovery sessions.

The Rock

Ward Prentice (10)
Slightly off topic but related to above, I think I have read somewhere that skins/compression garments are better worn after the athletic activity as a recovery tool rather than during the activity. If this is correct then are they worn by players during games as a placebo effect, and to emulate various high profile players who are often paid to wear and spruik such products.

Not all that many cameras broadcasting recovery sessions.
The Full length ones are great for the cold and warm the legs up faster for Training. But it is a Personal Choice, Some Players like them and Some Don't. But some players who are Prone to get Niggling Hamstring Injuries do like to wear them under their shorts. as I work with Footy Players, some of the ones I know who have had Issues in the past with Hamstrings have had No further problems since wearing the Skins or Body Science. Of Course Good Warming Up Is Important as well. Sure the Sponsors like to get into the Act, but if it works for you and it feels good and it might mean not getting injured and spending time off the field. I would be wearing them, they also help for Corked Thighs.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I wear skins playing touch footy during summer because the fields are like concrete and they reduce the chance of leaving half your skin (knees and thighs) on the pitch.
Helps a bit with frozen pitches as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.