• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Shadow are chosen by Schools Selectors.

Combined States are chosen by ARU folk, after Schools have completed their selections.

Combined States Selectors chose their team from the best of the rest, and their view of the best of the rest often differs from the Schools selectors, hence the likes of non-Shadows like Yeomans and Oxley in CS.

Different selectors, different ranking of players.

Monty Python

Ted Fahey (11)
I had no idea he copped flak - that's rough, should be off limits.

You guys are making me nervous now with these HH descriptions - I believe it. These "natural" types seem to make something from nothing & have plenty of time to do it..A back rower's worst nightmare - i've got him, oops no i don't.:)

Can't wait to see him play

I hear from a snout that Henry Hutchison has been named captain of NSW I. Congrats to the youngster - sounds like a deserved accolade. Do we know of any other skippers and vices?

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
Perfect Sydney weather forecast for the champs this coming week - touch wood. Here's the top temps, and no rain, though chance of something developing next Saturday.

Mon
17°

Tue
17°

Wed
20°

Thu
20°

Fri
19°

Sat
19°

Linespeed

Sydney Middleton (9)
I hear from a snout that Henry Hutchison has been named captain of NSW I. Congrats to the youngster - sounds like a deserved accolade. Do we know of any other skippers and vices?
Qld I : Capt Mafi VCs Hewatt & Horan
Qld II : Capt Scott-Young VC not sure

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
All is not lost for Tasmania.

There are a couple of their lads chosen for Vic 2nd XV. A third was chosen but withdrew due to injury.

5. Callum LYALL, St. Patricks College, TAS

20. Kieran VAN BRECHT, Launceston College

Both lads seen playing for TAS at Under 16's in 2012.

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
All the best to all competitors for the champs this week. With dry weather predicted hopefully there'll be plenty of enterprising performances on display.

Unfortunately I won't be able to catch any of the live action.

Thanks in advance to the G&GR match reporters for the usual excellent coverage.

Rugby Mum

Watty Friend (18)
uty7u9y5.jpg

Loving Jnr Rugby

Frank Row (1)
Well all the hype about the Vic side looks like they are not going too well after day 1. Have to dig deep to get back up for the next game vs Qld 2. All the best to the Vic boys but the Qld 2 side will be pretty strong.

Monsier Le Drop

Frank Row (1)
Australian Schools Rugby Union Championships

This writer saw the tail end of the Qld1 v Wa match. With 10 min to go WA had Qld1 pinned but some solid defence by QLD no 8 Harley Fox (Churchie) saw Qld1 relieve the pressure.

Sold attacking play by Qld12 Calvin Pritchard took play downfield and consistent pressure by the Qld pack converted into more points. Class and pace and doing the simple things right was the difference between the 2 sides.

NSW1 v Vic1

Running on there was no real discernible size difference. NSW kicked off and the Vics looked solid with ball in hand with their No9 Matthew Euese distributing well from the base of the ruck to some big strong runners notably no7 Robert Leota. Costly handling errors by Vic turned the ball obver and NSW1 did not lose the opportunity.

Strong work by NSW8 Angus Crichton at the breakdown gave quick ball to the backs. A slick back line move followed with NSW12 (Luke Lough) combining well with Harry Hutchinson (NSW13 and Capt) to put Guy Parker (NSW15) over after 3 min.

From the kick off, Vic fell off tackles with NSW3 Vunpola Fifita running hard and straight set the backs up for another fast and strong mistake free rugby resulting in NSW12 Luke Lough scoring.

The kick off saw the NSW forwards playing with confidence. Their Vic rivals were a slower and a bit bedazzled. The hits were hard by the NSW pack and after strong ball retention and several pick and drives, the forward platform set the backs up for another clinical try. NSW10 Connor Oshea drawing players in and creating space for Guy Porter (NSW15) who sent NSW14 Connor Watson in for an easy try. 17 nil after 10 minutes.

Victoria were clearly stuck in 2nd gear and their game was lacking crisp execution and the frustration was showing. Another simple but strong forward play saw NSW19 (Andrew Vatuvei stroll through the centre of the Vic forwards to score another 5 pointer. The NSW kicker Connor Oshea was having an off day with the boot with most tries going unconverted.

A sloppy line out and poor passing with the Vic front row often standing as first receiver saw another turnover. The NSW backs took the opportunity with slick hands putting Guy Porter in space with a clear run to the line and 5 more points.(NSW missed the conversion)

A clean line out win to the Vics saw their strong running no 7 bend the NSW line but good work at the ruck by John Walker (NSW6) and that man Angus Crichton saw NSW turn it over. A cut out pass by capt Henry Hutchinson put NSW11 Sepesa Loga-Tarogi into space who scored yet another try for NSW. Kicking was proving an issue with the try unconverted.

With the match all but over 5 min before half time the Vics rallied. Ball retention and sold forward play by RJ Sa’aga Vic3, William Coten Vic4, and John Schwalger saw their pack go 10 phases, the first by either team, to put Vic 19 Denzel O’Meagher for a great team try.

Half time and the score was 42/5

The second half saw a raft of changes to the starting NSW side. With the game in the bag NSW bought on the bench.

The 2nd half was a dourer affair with the combinations not as slick and Victoria retaining possession and forcing the NSW team to tackle and commit to the ruck. The ref was getting a bit frustrated with NSW at the breakdown and after a string of penalties to the Bushrangers the ref went to his pocket and yellow carded NSW19 for illegally slowing the ball. With their tails up Victoria sustained the pressure and was rewarded with a try.

Vic 10 Billy Gray, and the 2nd row pairing were playing well. This with strong running from a now tired Vic7 Robert Leota was showing NSW that they can play.

Midway through the 2nd half its 42/12 to NSW.

The good work by the Vic pack was again rewarded with John Schwalger crashing over for a deserved try.

The rest of the reserves bench was on for NSW with Guy Porter (fullback) replaced by David Smerdon (22) and Harrison Goddard on in place of harry Emery.

The change gave a different dynamic to the game with the smaller Smerdon providing guile and skill with deft passing and astute chip kicks to give the NSW team some punch. Halfback Harrison Goddard’s pass was better from the ruck and with the NSW forwards regaining possession it was try time again.

The last 2 tries were scored by arguably NSW best players, captain Henry Hutchinson who was fast, strong and deliberate all day and the strapping No8 Angus Crichton who was menacing in the ruck and was very hard to stop with a good step and a solid fend.

Final score NSW1: 54 to Vic 17

Best for NSW

Henry Hutchinson, Angus Crichton, Guy Porter, Vunipola Fifita

Best for Vic1

William Cotten, John Schwalger, Robert Leota, Billy Gray

underdone

Peter Burge (5)
seems like a closer game than would expect. Were the Queensland team just getting the cobwebs out? or did the combined states team really put it to them?

Qld II from what i heard were lucky to win, CS missed a penalty only a few minutes from the end, and the ref called full time just as CS were held up over QII try line.

Status
Not open for further replies.