• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The tour to NZ isn't until late September. There is plenty of time for Mafi and Tai to prove fitness (depending on the nature of their injuries).
I know. Just letting AKA get his push for Riverview boys in. I do love Evan P as a player great energy and aggression

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I know. Just letting AKA get his push for Riverview boys in. I do love Evan P as a player great energy and aggression

Thank you for the indulgence.

It's clear that Mafi and Tai will be automatic selections and I don't know, for sure, that the injuries they've sustained will preclude them from playing over the next few days, so I'm assuming that they're still eligible for selection.

Craig is very solid, and he has a size advantage over Evan. However, I think that, whatever the case, Evan has played well enough to earn some sort of higher honours (Aus. or Aus. A).

Size in and of itself is not an issue, and I am sick of the way it's constantly brought up these days. What matters is strength. Strength is what makes tackles - not size; strength is what breaks tackles - not size; strength is what wins scrums, claims pilfers, and causes counter-rucks. Being big is really irrelevant if you aren't strong. People tend to assume that the bigger guys are stronger, which is fair enough for the most part, but in the case of Evan Pritchard, and Henry Hutchinson (this criticism if often levied at him in particular) strength is by no means an issue. They are as strong, if not stronger, than most of their competitors/team mates, and so the fact that they're small is really a non-issue, at least in the positions they play. Obviously being tall is useful as a second-rower, or for lineouts in general, but body weight and height DO NOT equal ability - it's the strength that people extract from the size that matters.

I don't say that to, necessarily, advance Evan's case for a position, I say it because it's something that continues to bug me.

That said Craig certainly uses his size advantage to great effect - he is clearly very strong - and deserves consideration for a Gold jersey.

After the way McGregor played today, though, one would have to think that he's a serious contender.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
From the game I saw EP play yesterday, he is a good tackler and a comfortable runner but I thought that there was a bit of Adam Ashley Cooper about him when he had the ball in hand. A little too keen to go to ground with the ball, when the better option is to shuffle the pill on to free players outside him.

With QLD selectors and being incumbent, I can see Mafi getting the tick if his injury is not too serious. The keen contest would be for the #16 jumper. Tai has not exactly stood out and the #16 jumper must be wide open. Further I'd reckon that they would take 3 hookers for the tour (or 2 "proper" hookers and one "part time" hooker (prop or loosie that is front row competent and can throw)).

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Thought Jack Mcgregor had a blinder today. He wasn't the reason N2 won he was the reason they didn't get beaten. His organising skills in a backline that had two dismal prior days was superb. Definitely got his name on a clipboard

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Watched the nsw 2 v qld game

The difference was renton's boot .. With qld kicker at best unreliable

Renton finished the game with a mask like bandaging

There go the cranbrook boy looks

Thought that once Connor Watson left field with an injury, nsw lost much of their penetration ... Although agree mcgregor and Renton looked good

Qld had some big boppers... With one of their props the master of big hits

Some of the qld mums let out some horrendous shrieks ... Glad I don't go home to that

Tom wright had some moments of brilliance ... And nsw 2 seemed to pick up some injuries

I know riverview boys only have one match in mind

What has happened to widders lee on the hooker side of things?

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The difference was renton's boot .. With qld kicker at best unreliable

That's a little unfair - Nucifora (#9) converted all three tries, including a difficult one from half-way. I don't believe he missed any kicks, though Horan (#10) missed a penalty from in front while Nucifora was forced off with a blood bin.

[/quote]Thought that once Connor Watson left field with an injury, nsw lost much of their penetration . Although agree mcgregor and Renton looked good[/quote]

Wasn't Connor Watson in the 1s? I think you're referring to Kennewell, he was damaging in the backline.

Lemons 2.0

Bob McCowan (2)
Any news on how Widders-Leece, Watson from NSW I's and Williams NSW II's have been going?

Teams might have changed I realise.

Cheers

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
Thought Jack Mcgregor had a blinder today. He wasn't the reason N2 won he was the reason they didn't get beaten. His organising skills in a backline that had two dismal prior days was superb. Definitely got his name on a clipboard
Agree on McGregor, on the back of a tireless performance by the nsw2 forwards, particularly Lough and Woodhill, he really put qld away. A number of incisive breaks, and his game control was telling. The best players stand up against the best opponents, and the entire nsw2 side deserve congratulations for a performance that seemed very unlikely on Monday. Bad luck to qld1, as they have looked like the team to beat all week.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
SATURDAY, 5 JULY 2014 FINALS DAY (all games on First Field)
0900 Game 19: Division I: 4th Pool A v 4th Pool B => Western Australia v Combined States
1015 Game 20: Division I: 3rd Pool A v 3rd Pool B => ACT v Victoria I
1130 Game 21: Division I: 2nd Pool A v 2nd Pool B => Queensland I v Queensland II

1245 Game 22: Division I: 1st Pool A v 1st Pool B => NSW II v NSW I

Some great games in prospect for Saturday.

WA v CS and ACT v Vic should be a very even contests which will bring out the best in all teams.

II's vs I's are always interesting games. The II's often have nothing to lose and everything to prove when they are up against the I's.

If all the injury reports are to be believed, it sounds like there may be elements of survival of the fittest with the matches determined by the depth of the bench.

prost8

Frank Nicholson (4)
Great to see Nsw 1 v Nsw 2 in final lets hope the red selectors recognise this in the announcement on Saturday ! I fear they won't

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
NSW 1's No 8 Angus Crichton is a stand out player.
He's the main forward the scouts are after, and for good reason.

If you mean Club scouts, he has already turned out for Easts Colts this year.
Be interesting if that is where he is off to next year, or will he take the newly build footbridge from Bellevue Hill to Coogee Oval.

I think Crichton snr was an old Beastie, back in the day.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Be interesting if that is where he is off to next year, or will he take the newly build footbridge from Bellevue Hill to Coogee Oval.

The league boys are all over his ability and potential too HJ.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)

Despite being a Norths junior and having an Easts background, I'm fairly confident Crichton will be at Randwick next year

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yep. There were claims of him playing SG Ball Loig with the Chooks during the summer period.

Rugby HQ just finished on Fox. I missed a bit at the start but no mention of the Schoolboys Champs in the part that I saw.

There was a good mention last week.

Wonder why Tim Horan didn't mention the finals on Saturday? He was pretty keen to promote the Championships last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.