• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys / Under 18s 2019

carl spackler

Sydney Middleton (9)
Carl are you suggesting that 8 kids who missed GPS selection (they picked 5 teams from a pool of 6) have been selected ahead of those GPS teams and the CAS,ISA,CHS squads?
I can’t agree with injured players being parachuted in.
A player who’s style didn’t fit either of the 4 GPS coaches, is better than all the kids from all the other Associations,who actually trialed?
I don’t think so.
I Like to Watch
The eight I refer to are a mix of CAS and GPS boys, and of those GPS boys, the majority were selected into one of the GPS teams. A couple have been picked from outside and I presume they belong to the academy that the team manager runs.
Don't think I am trying to defend the selections into this squad. Personally, inviting a Barbarians team such as this, I feel diminishes the status of the event, as does the non participation of the Queensland and (many of) the NSW boys.
But at least they have 8 teams competing.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Oh, OK that makes more sense.

I think the non participation is a bigger concern than including the baba’s.
My only comment on the baba’s is, if you miss out on state selection, you shouldn’t be eligible for both the baba’s and CS.

Chip kick

Allen Oxlade (6)
Carl are you suggesting that 8 kids who missed GPS selection (they picked 5 teams from a pool of 6) have been selected ahead of those GPS teams and the CAS,ISA,CHS squads?
A player who’s style didn’t fit either of the 4 GPS coaches, is better than all the kids from all the other Associations,who actually trialed?
I don’t think so.

I think the Barbarian team was picked by the manager.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
I think the Barbarian team was picked by the manager.

Cavaliers (Barbarians) is a privately run academy. The Cavaliers team is invitational, with the manager identifying talented kids and giving them touring and playing opportunities. It does seem a bit odd that they are competing in this competition however I know quite a few of the kids selected and they are very talented players so could provide good opposition.

Chip kick

Allen Oxlade (6)
Cavaliers (Barbarians) is a privately run academy. The Cavaliers team is invitational, with the manager identifying talented kids and giving them touring and playing opportunities. It does seem a bit odd that they are competing in this competition however I know quite a few of the kids selected and they are very talented players so could provide good opposition.

i just looked it up on FB and etc. A bit confused about the pathway here and why a private academy earns the right. Is it attached to a shute shield club or RA ? Could this be a way to involve more kids in the future through academy's or programs organisations.

thepuma

Peter Burge (5)
I don’t think so.

1 CCC kid and not one AICES... the post from NSW rugby made me think they told the photographer to show at 3pm... maybe the selectors told similar?

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
i just looked it up on FB and etc. A bit confused about the pathway here and why a private academy earns the right. Is it attached to a shute shield club or RA ? Could this be a way to involve more kids in the future through academy's or programs organisations.

No, it's not attached to any organisation. It is privately owned and run. They have historically been a touring group which makes their presence in this competition confusing.

The owner is an outstanding coach and has a really good network of talent scouts. I would expect this team to be strong based on my experience with him.

Corn

Bob McCowan (2)
Interesting that Cavalier Barbarians have selected the 10 from Scots Second XV and the 9 from Joeys 3rd XV as the players in the school teams above these two in the corresponding positions have both missed out. Not saying it’s wrong, just seems that there must be a reason for these relatively odd selections. Also two fringe first graders from Waverley selected, not sure how this ended up occurring.

Corn.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Interesting that Cavalier Barbarians have selected the 10 from Scots Second XV and the 9 from Joeys 3rd XV as the players in the school teams above these two in the corresponding positions have both missed out. Not saying it’s wrong, just seems that there must be a reason for these relatively odd selections. Also two fringe first graders from Waverley selected, not sure how this ended up occurring.

Corn.
If it is a private Academy , maybe the lads selected have been involved with it in the past ?

How does the Academy side of it work ? Are lads selected to attend, or just pay their subs and show up?

Bit strange to have it involved at a National championship and trial for Australian Schoolboys, maybe just needed an extra side involved with WA not sending a team ?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I don’t think so.

It's a very strange situation.

Almost as concerning as the fact that there is no WA team. I suspect that we've handed league a huge opportunity in the west that we'll never get back.

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
Last year, Gordon JRU went as far as to publish a notice distancing themselves from Cavaliers and warning parents about that not being an official pathway. It might even still be up on the website.

Good advice, especially as everyone secretly knows the real official pathway instead runs right through the middle of Chatswood...

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It's a very strange situation.

Almost as concerning as the fact that there is no WA team. I suspect that we've handed league a huge opportunity in the west that we'll never get back.

I was initially shocked too, but at least the WA boys are playing some games against the other academies. I can't recall a time when we didn't send a team to the national schoolboys comp.

thepuma

Peter Burge (5)

Corn.

https://www.facebook.com/twobluesrugby/posts/2408908912690131

meanwhile the nswccc captain who has played a bit of 1st grade will have time on his hands next week...

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
I was initially shocked too, but at least the WA boys are playing some games against the other academies. I can't recall a time when we didn't send a team to the national schoolboys comp.

Western Force play their first Academy game tomorrow against NSW Gen Blue Academy - which is one of the selection trial games for the eventual Australian Schools & U18s.... so they probably more focused on that.

The GEN BLUE Academy team is the NSWJRU I team (club Rep pathway)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

But I notice that there is a Western Australia team competing at the Australian Rugby League U15s schoolboy championships in Brisbane at the moment (an presumably there will also be a league team in the open schools league). Worrying, very worrying.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
This seems extremely confusing to me.

Can someone help me understand the current structure, it seems:

1. for some reason Aus Schoolboys Team is not just for kids at school
2. Selection for Aus Schoolboys team in all likelihood will be primarily via the various provincial union academies
3. The "best" kids will be in the academy teams and not playing for their school state rep team
4. So as not to invalidate the whole concept of the school championships, selectors make noise how they may select some kids not already in the academy side

Is that right? If so one wonders why the comp is still going ahead, it seems that it's a pointless duplication of essentially second stringers?

DaSchmooze

Johnnie Wallace (23)
But I notice that there is a Western Australia team competing at the Australian Rugby League U15s schoolboy championships in Brisbane at the moment (an presumably there will also be a league team in the open schools league). Worrying, very worrying.

Why is it worrying QH? All of those WA school boys are now playing in the academy team with some early school leavers as well. It's the same group of boys.

Edit - link to the WA team list

https://wa.rugby/-/media/20192706_r...0&la=en&hash=1F6B97B129A1A56EFB0444CF86A84FEF

Chip kick

Allen Oxlade (6)
No, it's not attached to any organisation. It is privately owned and run. They have historically been a touring group which makes their presence in this competition confusing.

The owner is an outstanding coach and has a really good network of talent scouts. I would expect this team to be strong based on my experience with him.

Where does he coach? Isn't he the father of the nine from Iggies ?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Why is it worrying QH? All of those WA school boys are now playing in the academy team with some early school leavers as well. It's the same group of boys.

Edit - link to the WA team list

https://wa.rugby/-/media/20192706_r...0&la=en&hash=1F6B97B129A1A56EFB0444CF86A84FEF

All of them? The maths of that doesn't add up if there are also some early school-leavers in the team?

Maybe I'm the only one that finds it worrying that WA Schools are sending teams to RL schoolboy championships and not RU ones. Maybe there's nothing to worry about and RA have everything under control.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
This seems extremely confusing to me.

Can someone help me understand the current structure, it seems:

1. for some reason Aus Schoolboys Team is not just for kids at school
2. Selection for Aus Schoolboys team in all likelihood will be primarily via the various provincial union academies
3. The "best" kids will be in the academy teams and not playing for their school state rep team
4. So as not to invalidate the whole concept of the school championships, selectors make noise how they may select some kids not already in the academy side

Is that right? If so one wonders why the comp is still going ahead, it seems that it's a pointless duplication of essentially second stringers?

It seems very confusing and it does seem to invalidate the whole concept of school championships. I'm sure that the people running the game know best.