• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schools-Ireland & UK Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
Australian Schools kicked off their tour with a solid 31-14 win aghainst Irish Schools @ University College, Dublin.
In freezing but dry conditions, Australia trailed 12-14 at half time but powered away with it in 2nd half.
Tries were wscored by Stirzacker,Sitauti,Alo_emile,Gill & Feuai.
Next game is against Ireland U19s on Wednesday, after which they move onto Wales.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
That was the first and last game against a school team, and it's a great pity.

They lost against Ireland U/19 15-0 in the 2nd game, and as I have indicated before: typically the Irish boyos would be in the Ireland National Academy and will form the bulk of the Ireland U/20 team at the 2010 IRB U/20 torunament. They would have been in their regional Academy (at least) since they left school in the middle of the year and a few would have left in the middle of 2009.

Put our boys into an Academy as soon as they get home and see how they would play against Ireland Schools in the middle of 2010 after 6 months of technical training and physical preparation with their state academies and you get the idea. Of course it would never happen because we always play schoolboys against visiting schoolboys teams.

They have a game against the England U/18 team which won't be too disadvantageous, but all the other matches are U/19 games: against Wales and against 2 Pom regional/academy U/19 games which will be trials for the Pom U/19 team who our schoolboys will play in the final game of the tour.

T

TOCC

just hear the Australian Schoolboys beat Wales, dont know what the score was yet

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Lee Grant said:
That was the first and last game against a school team, and it's a great pity.

They lost against Ireland U/19 15-0 in the 2nd game, and as I have indicated before: typically the Irish boyos would be in the Ireland National Academy and will form the bulk of the Ireland U/20 team at the 2010 IRB U/20 torunament. They would have been in their regional Academy (at least) since they left school in the middle of the year and a few would have left in the middle of 2009.

Put our boys into an Academy as soon as they get home and see how they would play against Ireland Schools in the middle of 2010 after 6 months of technical training and physical preparation with their state academies and you get the idea. Of course it would never happen because we always play schoolboys against visiting schoolboys teams.

They have a game against the England U/18 team which won't be too disadvantageous, but all the other matches are U/19 games: against Wales and against 2 Pom regional/academy U/19 games which will be trials for the Pom U/19 team who our schoolboys will play in the final game of the tour.

The good news is, half that Irish team were still schoolboys, especially the forwards. The schools team suffered because the U-19s get first dibs on them. Anyone who's left school would have left in June, so would have had at most five months in an academy.

They'll form part of the U-20s, but not a huge part. The year cohort ahead of them, who in the case of UCC are really doing well despite being thrown in at the deep end, will form the larger section of that team.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thomond78 said:
The good news is, half that Irish team were still schoolboys

Thanks for that but it's the other half that is the problem for our lads. A few of our lads have been signed up for one of the 4 Super14 professional academies and you won't recognise them 5 months after they get home and have reported for duty.

When Ireland Schools toured here in 2004 they played against our schoolboys. U/18 lads who had left school early were not eligible to play against that Ireland team. Nor are they allowed to play against visiting schools teams now. And in the days when there was an U/19 IRB tournament and a few older schoolboys would have been good enough to be picked; they weren't allowed to be.

I'm just pointing out how separate the administration of schools rugby is here.

When the Ella brothers played for Oz Schools yonks ago they played against Schools teams only on their EOYT, IIRR. It would have been good to have the same equal contests for our boys touring now. That early team was undefeated but our tourists had no hope of duplicating what that team did because their playing field is not level.

PS - that 2004 Irish schools team had a 6ft 8in lock Devin Toner. He's 2 inches taller now and doing OK isn't he?

There was also a lad in the team from Clogowes Wood College going by the name of Rob Kearney.

He played fullback and was goodish - whatever happened to him?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Oz Schools dirt trackers have gone down 12-27 against a Pom Regional Academy team. A pity they couldn't play against a regional schools team.

I know that I'm repeating myself but I'm building up to the 'test' against the England U/19 team which will be a lot harder to toss than the England Schools team we beat in Brisbane a couple of years ago. Sure we beat England U/19 4 years ago but we had current Wallabies Pocock, Cooper and Beale in that team.

It makes you think: if teams from Ireland and England can organise themselves to send schools teams here, why can't they organise schools teams at home as we do when they visit?

R

rugbywhisperer

Shall I say what we all suspect to be the case there LG ??

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Lee Grant said:
Oz Schools dirt trackers have gone down 12-27 against a Pom Regional Academy team. A pity they couldn't play against a regional schools team.

I know that I'm repeating myself but I'm building up to the 'test' against the England U/19 team which will be a lot harder to toss than the England Schools team we beat in Brisbane a couple of years ago. Sure we beat England U/19 4 years ago but we had current Wallabies Pocock, Cooper and Beale in that team.

It makes you think: if teams from Ireland and England can organise themselves to send schools teams here, why can't they organise schools teams at home as we do when they visit?

Because of the academic system. In the summer, we can; the schools are out and the state leaving exam is over.

We used organise a full-blown schools one with the schools team having precedence for schools players. We changed it a few years back when we re-jigged the age gradings, ironically to fall into line with you lot. We used have the same system as you, but changed it, not least to widen the pool and move it away from the narrow rugby schools system.

T

TOCC

after all the crap about Tyson Frizell he has turned around and formally signed with Cronulla.

It was a done deal before he went on the EOYT, but his management kept it hush hush so he could still go, rather then give the position to another player who actually plans on remaining in union.

C

chief

They even had it on the website. I think there should be a media outcry just ripping the fuck into him. Because that is too far.

Status
Not open for further replies.