• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Sport TV Ratings.. Rugby Falling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassius88

Sydney Middleton (9)
I think the ARU needs to put one Super Rugby a weekend on FTA. Friday night is usually a big night for AFL/NRL so maybe if they put a Saturday night game on channel 10 every week or something. This would at least give the game some exposure to people who don't have Foxtel and as a diehard rugby fan that doesn't want to fork out for Foxtel, I wouldn't mind it either :D

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
1. ARU do not have any say in the tv broadcast thats SANZAR.
2. Fox purchased the sole rights to all Super games some time ago so FTA is locked out until that contract runs out

nugget

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Rugby's ratings are going down because it's only on pay tv, except for wallabies games, but as soon as the Libs get in that'll go too. Dear Rupert will have it all soon.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Actually interesting to hear that Sky in NZ (foxtel's brother) has lost the rights to show Pommy soccer, it gone to a channel that will show it on internet, wonder how this will impact sports viewing in future!!

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Actually interesting to hear that Sky in NZ (foxtel's brother) has lost the rights to show Pommy soccer, it gone to a channel that will show it on internet, wonder how this will impact sports viewing in future!!

The internet is the future for sports broadcasting. The AFL allegedly employ 30 or more journalists, and the expectation is strong that their next broadcasting deal will be basically pay-for-view on the internet, with the production handled inhouse.

Da Munch

Chris McKivat (8)
The internet is the future for sports broadcasting. The AFL allegedly employ 30 or more journalists, and the expectation is strong that their next broadcasting deal will be basically pay-for-view on the internet, with the production handled inhouse.

But the AFL don't have a hand in the Libs pocket like news/fox etc do. So they won't have any effect on the NBN like I've heard news/fox has on the Libs policy. Without Labs NBN, AFL I doubt, will be able to distribute it nationally.
Hope they do though, would love to see them do it, cause if they can, it will encourage others to - and that will mean less money and political sway for the terror/fox/news

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
But the AFL don't have a hand in the Libs pocket like news/fox etc do. So they won't have any effect on the NBN like I've heard news/fox has on the Libs policy. Without Labs NBN, AFL I doubt, will be able to distribute it nationally.
Hope they do though, would love to see them do it, cause if they can, it will encourage others to - and that will mean less money and political sway for the terror/fox/news

not sure if the GAGR forum is the place for misguided political musings

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
;) Actually Wamberal, was telling missus I wish Sky in NZ would go complete internet with their sport, I could buy it here, and get a shit load more rugby, like their rugby channel etc, funny she asked where I would get time for mowing lawns etc but..:rolleyes:

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Hard to understand the declining ratings when you can watch 6 minutes of scrum resets - only on Pay its true: surely theres a market for a scrum resets package late in Sunday night?

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
I like rugby where is at the moment. I don't want it too popular. I don't know why people get so into ratings and the like. I'm an end user as a viewer and an amateur player, doesn't affect me at all.

Hey Qwerty, the sad reality is ratings drive the finances. Without the money there will be nothing on TV and no funding for the amateur game to be administered. It will affect you in every way and you will become the end user of nothing.

Is it right? No. Is it fair? No. Is it the reality? Completely.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Without Labs NBN, AFL I doubt, will be able to distribute it nationally.

There will be a national broadband network, either with or without the NBN. The difference will be that it will be "fibre to the node" under Turnbull, which will necessitate individual households paying for the final connection from the node (outside in the street somewhere) and into their living rooms.

Broadband is here to stay, vested interests of all kinds will ensure that it happens. The only question is, who will pay for it, and how.

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
Sheesh -- is gardening that popular in Australia?

Don't be threatened by that one - the eccentric bearded guy who hosts it, Costa, is a Waverley college old boy and referees a fair bit around Sydney. Seen him in action a few times and he's not bad - so there's a rugby connection there. We'll take those ratings as well!

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Rugby's ratings are going down because it's only on pay tv, except for wallabies games, but as soon as the Libs get in that'll go too. Dear Rupert will have it all soon.

What because Labor's plan of Julia Gillard not knowing anything about rugby, pretending it doesn't exist, being an AFL fan, giving $millions to Soccer to waste on a shitty, amateur bid for the world cup that was thrown straight out, and generally doing everything possible to exterminate rugby (fail anti syphoning laws) is better?

Tony Abbott has come out and said he is a rugby fan. From a political perspective Lib govt treats rugby better. Rudd also scrapped ballymore funding. What evidence do you have to suggest they will let Murdoch buy it all?

I'm a swing voter but pretty sure the Labor govt has done everything it can to kill rugby.

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
What because Labor's plan of Julia Gillard not knowing anything about rugby, pretending it doesn't exist, being an AFL fan, giving $millions to Soccer to waste on a shitty, amateur bin that was thrown out after a show trial by a corrupt court and generally doing everything possible to exterminate the code (fail anti syphoning laws) is better?

Tony Abbott has come out and said he is a rugby fan. From a political perspective Lib govt treats rugby better. Rudd also scrapped ballymore funding. What evidence do you have to suggest they will let Murdoch buy it all?

I'm a swing voter but pretty sure the Labor govt has done everything it can to kill rugby.

What exactly are you talking about?

Pretty disappointed with those ratings for the first Lions Test, thought there had been reasonable promotion of the series. I imagine/hope if the Wallabies are able to square the ledger this weekend, the third Test in Sydney will come somewhere close to State of Origin numbers.

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
Based on my extremely anecdotal (ie I asked my mates) evidence then I would suspect that more people might have watched the lions test in NZ than in Oz.

It almost overshadowed the AB's game in terms of expectation with the public here

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
What exactly are you talking about?

Pretty disappointed with those ratings for the first Lions Test, thought there had been reasonable promotion of the series. I imagine/hope if the Wallabies are able to square the ledger this weekend, the third Test in Sydney will come somewhere close to State of Origin numbers.

see the correction I understand the sentence structure was poor lol

Status
Not open for further replies.