• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Super Rugby Team of the Week 2024

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Not sure we ever settled on eligibility for this years team, but it looks like a lot of people are nominating Kautai and Coxon, both of whom are ineligible for the Wallabies as far as I'm aware. My preference has always been wallaby eligible only, but if everyone is happy to expand this to every player playing for an Australian side, eligibility be damned then I won't stand in the way. Either way we should settle it before the end of the week.
Looks like I’m a multiple offender this week. I didn’t realise Kautai wasn’t eligible.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
You're having a crack at those who can't watch 7hrs of rugby over the weekend, but still want to be involved in ToTW discussions?
Well, as you're asking, yes. There is no legitimate grounds for counting selections if all of the alternatives haven't been considered. It's bad enough that those of us who do watch all the games involving Aussie teams will still watch through our own biases, but to purport to select a TOTW without having seen every game is just ridiculous.

One for the mods and those running this thread. Is this an issue? Or am I being too harsh? It seems to me that the thread should probably allow for discussion of the posted teams so that anyone who missed watching all the games could still comment on particular good showing by those they did watch but without biasing the overall count. Or, alternatively, question why votes are going to a player who spevt only 18 minutes on the ground as Tomikin did above.

BTW, on occasions where I've missed the odd game or two, I have avoided posting a team for that week.

On the question of eligibility, I have always confined my selections to Wallaby eligible players. If otherwise, I would have had Tamati Tua in the 12 spot this week. He had an impressive game against Moana and was the best performing No 12 in my book.

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)
Well, as you're asking, yes. There is no legitimate grounds for counting selections if all of the alternatives haven't been considered. It's bad enough that those of us who do watch all the games involving Aussie teams will still watch through our own biases, but to purport to select a TOTW without having seen every game is just ridiculous.

One for the mods and those running this thread. Is this an issue? Or am I being too harsh? It seems to me that the thread should probably allow for discussion of the posted teams so that anyone who missed watching all the games could still comment on particular good showing by those they did watch but without biasing the overall count. Or, alternatively, question why votes are going to a player who spevt only 18 minutes on the ground as Tomikin did above.

BTW, on occasions where I've missed the odd game or two, I have avoided posting a team for that week.

On the question of eligibility, I have always confined my selections to Wallaby eligible players. If otherwise, I would have had Tamati Tua in the 12 spot this week. He had an impressive game against Moana and was the best performing No 12 in my book.
Fair point…. You should have to watch all the games to give a fair assessment of the players who stood out.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I only post when I watch all games BR - although clearly I wasn’t very observant on Friday seeing as I apparently confused with how long I watched Frost play. But is it really a big deal? No players livelihood is being impacted if they either get or miss a few TOTW votes and I’d suggest people who take it too seriously probably need to relax a bit. If that’s the biggest fuck up I make this week, I’ve got to tell you I’ll be thinking I’ve had a pretty good week.

Anyway, I know they don’t want discussion on this page so I’ll leave it there from my perspective.

Last edited:

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)

I understand the rationale behind your view, of course - but we're not exactly allocating points for the John Eales medal here.

I don't particularly enjoy seeing contributing posters' opinions, which may or may not be different to your own, dismissed on the assumption they mustn't have watched every minute of every game (let alone the copy, paste, add favourites remark, but I'll leave that). In a perfect world, we'd all be watching all games - but I'd much rather have more people, who are mostly informed on the weekend's happenings, involved in the discussion.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Hey guys, tried to catch most of the games this week
  • 1 Nic Henderson
  • 2 Ged Robinson
  • 3 Rodney Blake
  • 4 Cadeyrn Neville
  • 5 Hugh Pyle
  • 6 Luke Jones
  • 7 Tim Davidson
  • 8 Gareth Delve
  • 9 N Phipps
  • 10 Kurtley Beale
  • 11 Cooper Vuna
  • 12 Lachie Mitchell
  • 13 Mitch Inman
  • 14 Mark Gerrard
  • 15 Richard Kingi

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I only post when I watch all games BR - although clearly I wasn’t very observant on Friday seeing as I apparently confused with how long I watched Frost play. But is it really a big deal? No players livelihood is being impacted if they either get or miss a few TOTW votes and I’d suggest people who take it too seriously probably need to relax a bit. If that’s the biggest fuck up I make this week, I’ve got to tell you I’ll be thinking I’ve had a pretty good week.

Anyway, I know they don’t want discussion on this page so I’ll leave it there from my perspective.
I'm being too harsh. Thanks TSR.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Some hard positions to pick these week - OC and THP I reckon.

1 Angus Bell
2 Mahe Vailanu
3 Sam Talakai
4 Fergus Lee-Warner
5 Seru Uru
6 Rob Valetini
7 Carlo Tizzano
8 Charlie Cale
9 Nic White
10 Ben Donaldson
11 Corey Toole
12 Hamish Stewart
13 Izaia Perese
14 Bayley Kuenzle
15 Tom Wright

Hogan

Peter Burge (5)
I find it interesting in what people see in player’s performances week to week and their varying opinions. For example Nutta’s TOTW compared to the ones selected here. So many different opinions. Obviously not withstanding bias towards their chosen team/players. Makes for good debate I guess? As long as Joe Schmidt knows what he’s doing.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I find it interesting in what people see in player’s performances week to week and their varying opinions. For example Nutta’s TOTW compared to the ones selected here. So many different opinions. Obviously not withstanding bias towards their chosen team/players. Makes for good debate I guess? As long as Joe Schmidt knows what he’s doing.

At first I wanted to ask "who the fuck is Nutta?"

And then I ventured to the front page where I tend to avoid, and saw his TOTW... and the previous week's selections... and well...

giphy.gif

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
At first I wanted to ask "who the fuck is Nutta?"

And then I ventured to the front page where I tend to avoid, and saw his TOTW... and the previous week's selections... and well...

giphy.gif
Slim, I would encourage you and any others here to regularly have a dose of Nutta's wisdom, history lessons and humour on the front page - every Tuesday.

Everything I think I know about the workings of a scrum, especially in the front row, I've gleaned from Nutta. He is a legend, still playing wherever he can pick up a game after around 40 years of pulling on a jersey and playing all three of the front row spots in his career. He has played all round the world, and he is brimfull of stories about the game.

Don't be put off by claims that the front page is less informative. After you get past the double entendre humour and references to the dialogue from movies, it is full of good information and often breaking news. And by and large, the posters there are considerably more even handed than the average poster in the forums.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Some hard positions to pick these week - OC and THP I reckon.

1 Angus Bell
2 Mahe Vailanu
3 Sam Talakai
4 Fergus Lee-Warner
5 Seru Uru
6 Rob Valetini
7 Carlo Tizzano
8 Charlie Cale
9 Nic White
10 Ben Donaldson
11 Corey Toole
12 Hamish Stewart
13 Izaia Perese
14 Bayley Kuenzle
15 Tom Wright

Can we leave blanks for positions where everyone were quite shit?

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
1 Bell
2 Pollard
3 Talakai
4 Lee-Warner
5 Neville
6 Valetini
7 Tizzano
8 Cale
9 White
10 Lolesio
11 Toole
12 Stewart
13 Creighton
14 Kuenzle
15 Wright

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Slim, I would encourage you and any others here to regularly have a dose of Nutta's wisdom, history lessons and humour on the front page - every Tuesday.

Everything I think I know about the workings of a scrum, especially in the front row, I've gleaned from Nutta. He is a legend, still playing wherever he can pick up a game after around 40 years of pulling on a jersey and playing all three of the front row spots in his career. He has played all round the world, and he is brimfull of stories about the game.

Don't be put off by claims that the front page is less informative. After you get past the double entendre humour and references to the dialogue from movies, it is full of good information and often breaking news. And by and large, the posters there are considerably more even handed than the average poster in the forums.

For shits and giggles...

image-71.png

Wilson

David Codey (61)
1 Angus Bell
2 Tom Horton
3 Sam Talakai
4 Seru Uru
5 Fergus Lee-Warner
6 Rob Valetini
7 Carlo Tizzano
8 Charlie Cale
9 Nic White
10 Ben Donaldson
11 Corey Toole
12 Hamish Stewart
13 Izaia Perese
14 Bayley Kuenzle
15 Tom Wright

HM: McReight, McDermott, Swinton, Potter

Tough week to pick with a lot of ineligible players standing out.

Will compile the team later tonight.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Team of the Week Round 5:

No.PlayerTeamVotesAppearances
1Angus Belltahs4/113
2Tom HortonForce7/111
3Sam Talakai*Rebels4/111
4Caderyn NevilleBrumbies5/111
5Jeremy WilliamsForce5/113
6Rob ValetiniBrumbies11/112
7Carlo TizzanoForce11/111
8Charlie CaleBrumbies11/112
9Nic WhiteForce11/111
10Ben DonaldsonForce7/112
11Corey TooleBrumbies11/114
12Hamish StewartForce11/111
13Hudson Creighton*Brumbies4/111
14Bayley KuenzleForce11/111
15Tom WrightBrumbies10/112
16Matt FaesslerReds2/11
17Harry VellaBrumbies3/11
18Zane NonggorrReds2/11
19Darcy SwainBrumbies3/11
20Nick FrostBrumbies3/11
21Fergus Lee-Warnertahs3/11
22Noah LolesioBrumbies4/11
23Izaia Peresetahs3/11
HMJames SlipperBrumbies2/11
Ryan CoxonForce2/11
Billy PollardBrumbies1/11
Mahe Vailanitahs1/11
Sefo Kautai*Brumbies4/11
Rhys Van NekBrumbies1/11
Seru UruReds2/11
Sam Spink*Brumbies4/11
Izaia Peresetahs3/11
Harry PotterForce1/11

Ineligible players were limited to honourable mentions. Of the three who fit that bill (Coxon, Kautai and Spink) Kautai and Spink scored equal top in their positions. Bench turned out surprisingly good, only a halfback short of proper coverage.

Going forward I'll maintain this same stance with the ineligible players (HM only), so feel free to vote for them if you really want to recognise their effort, but know they can't ever make the actual 23.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Round 6

1. Slipper
2. Faessler
3. Tupou
4. Uru
5. Neville
6. Valetini
7. Brown
8. Cale
9. Lonergan
10. Lolesio
11. Toole
12. Paisami (Tua best but ineligible)
13. Flook
14. Petaia
15. Wright

Last edited:

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
HM: Ravai, such a beast. So important for the Reds.
1. Slipper
2. Horton
3. Tupou
4. Uru
5. Holloway
6. Swinton
7. McReight
8. Cale
9. McDermott
10. Lolesio
11. Petaia
12. Paisami