• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian SupeRugby awards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The Queensland Reds have dominated the awards ceremony today.
Will Genia has taken out player of the year, Ewen McKenzie has taken out coach of the year and the Reds took out team of the year.

Other awards handed out were Rookie of the year which went to Nick Phipps of the Melbourne Rebels and referee of the year went to Stu Dickinson - unfortunately due to the Ash cloud covering New Zealand and southern Australia, Richie McCaw was unable to attend to award Dickinson his prize.

Try of the year went to Cam Shepherd of the Western Force for his effort against the Crusaders in round 11.

Gingerbeer

Peter Burge (5)
Shepherd, Phipps, Genia & Link are all deserving winners. Dickinson's award I have no real opinion on.

But it shows what I know about rugby. I thought Genia was robbed last year when the award went to Cooper. I thought Cooper was much better, more mature player this season but both years I would have voted for Will over Quade.

D

daz

Good call on Phipps fp. He impressed the hell out of me in the first half of the season, but suddenly went off the radar. To be fair, so did most of his team. It would be a harsh critic indeed to point the finger at a rookie player for the failings of the team as a whole.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Nar Phipps was definatly the best rookie this year. Vaea and Pyle also impressed.

Personally I thought Quade Cooper had a better season to date then Genia. David Pocock finishing 5th shows how good this bloke is, he played half the season!

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Nar Phipps was definatly the best rookie this year. Vaea and Pyle also impressed.

Personally I thought Quade Cooper had a better season to date then Genia. David Pocock finishing 5th shows how good this bloke is, he played half the season!

quade has had an improved year, but under pressure a few games this year he went to rabble a bit, especially his kicking, genia stayed solid and its well deserved

T

TOCC

Is there an over all Australian SupeRugby player of the year?

based on the way we vote you wouldnt think so...
Unless the votes are somehow indexed to a teams performance then its likely a constant performer in one of the lower performing teams would outscore a higher performing player int he Reds or Tahs purely due to the added competition in those two teams.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
spot on TOCC, we'll do a poll of each of the winners, but even from game to game different number of people voted. Often a Rebels game might get half a dozen votes, whereas the Tahs would get 30 odd. So unfair to just say the player with the most votes overall was the winner.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
spot on TOCC, we'll do a poll of each of the winners, but even from game to game different number of people voted. Often a Rebels game might get half a dozen votes, whereas the Tahs would get 30 odd. So unfair to just say the player with the most votes overall was the winner.

can you take the 3 players with the most votes for each team and assign them a 3, 2, 1 for each game, then irrespective of the number of members voting, each game only gets 6 points awarded?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
can you take the 3 players with the most votes for each team and assign them a 3, 2, 1 for each game, then irrespective of the number of members voting, each game only gets 6 points awarded?

perhaps. Timmsy has agreed with you so shall chat to him about it.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Did Beale get anything?

Pocock, Cooper, Genia... all great players, but none of them put the fear of god into me when they get the ball like Beale does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom