• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian tour of SA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Keep the same lineup. Watson too likely to break down. Or bowling wasn't consistent enough in the first innings on a dead pitch, and Steyn found some reverse late in the game.

We were a couple of stupid decisions away from a face-saving draw after all

T

Train Without a Station

I'd argue the fact that we couldn't stay in the middle was what killed us. Much like almost every loss we've had in the last couple of years.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The temptation will be there to change the batting line up, given the series is on the line in Cape Town. If Watson is fit I'd be surprised if he doesn't play, though I don't rate him. We'll need to be considerably better with the bat if we're to be any chance. The lower order can't keep bailing us out, neither can we rely on our pace attack to keep us ahead in the game. The Saffers are made of sterner stuff than the Poms.

T

Train Without a Station

This was the perfect time for the middle order to stand up. Rogers and Warner had laid out decent platforms and seen off the fresh attack with the new ball.

Personally it reinforced my opinion of Marsh. He is great in innings such as the first of the first test when there is zero expectation. Last night however when he could be reasonably expected to perform he did not. In his defence, neither did anybody beyond the openers though.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
This was the perfect time for the middle order to stand up. Rogers and Warner had laid out decent platforms and seen off the fresh attack with the new ball.

Personally it reinforced my opinion of Marsh. He is great in innings such as the first of the first test when there is zero expectation. Last night however when he could be reasonably expected to perform he did not. In his defence, neither did anybody beyond the openers though.

Yep. The perfect platform was laid and the middle order blew it. Again. Agree on Marsh too.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Awesome win for the Cricket Boks. Amla & Duminy hits form at the right time and Smith will probably do at Newlands. Hope they prepare the usual low and slow Newlands pitch to give us the chance to beat a tier 1 cricket nation.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The track at Newlands usually does a bit, so there'll be life in it for the seamers. It's not usually impossible to bat on and will reward blokes who get themselves set.

T

tranquility

If Patto comes in, which of Harris or Siddle drops out? Suppose it depends on how Harris's body is going..

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
One thing I look for in selections is the foresight to put together a team for the next contest, not the last one. Stability is all well and good (and good performances MUST be rewarded) but asking Harris to play a test too far is fraught with danger. As is picking Watson for any test, mind you. I sincerely hope Lehmann consults the medical crew on tour and gets a brutally honest report on the physical wellbeing of Harris, Siddle and Watson. If they're carrying any sort of niggling injury it's off to the recovery lounge.

The batting? Hughes likes Saffer pitches and bowlers, surely he's next in line for either Doolan or Marsh, probably Marsh.

My team for Cape Town:

Rogers
Warner
Hughes
Doolan
Clarke
Smith
Haddin
Johnson
Siddle/Bird
Pattinson
Lyon

T

tranquility

Will be an incredibly interesting 11 this one, the most interesting in Lehmann's tenure I would have thought. Like Ewen McKenzie, he appears to be a superior selector and generally makes the right call.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
He's got some vexing questions to answer, that's for sure. Such as: is Rhino fit enough to bowl? Should Watson come back into the team? If so, at the expense of who?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
A wise man (it was me) once said: Fuck Watson. I probably said it more times than once, too. Jagging the odd wicket and making a hundred when it isn't needed are skills that anyone possess. His only gift appears to be touring foreign countries and grabbing at his hamstring or calf whenever he decides to sook off.

The wicket will determine a lot - if its low and slow, Siddle stays as the workhorse, lock it in Eddie. If Harris is up to potentially two days in the field, then he stays too. Can we throw Hughes back in? Maybe, but will he bat three and do we keep Doolan?

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
If Watson is fit I expect him to return for Marsh or Doolan. If not fit then i think the same team will play with the possible exception of Harris.

Hughes won't be seen, I don't like it but after Doolan and Marshs first test they are probably entitled to another chance. If one or both of them fail to contribute again however there positions should be available in the next series

Status
Not open for further replies.