• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian U/19 v. England

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Given cost would be the isuue how about playing a interstate colts match as the curtain raiser to the club championship game

Something like that would be of a lot of interest, but to have some practical use it should include only Under 19 players.

Otherwise it wouldn't be related to the subject of this thread and it's logical offshoot**: the creation of an U/19 tournament as a precursor to the U/20 IRB tournament the following year. If you had that, two weeks of U/20 IRB camps (as is the case now) wouldn't be needed; you could cut it down to one and save some money to defray the costs of the U/19 tournament the year before.

I could see a competition whereby 4 teams could play 3 games each over a week - starting and finishing on Wednesday so the lads would miss only one round of footie. Therefore: no final, just bonus points and then for and against. The point of the competition would not be the competition, but the Oz selection process for the following year.

The four teams could be: Qld, NSW, ACT and Combined States with the CS team including players who missed out on the other 3 sides, if warranted - similar to what they do in the Oz Schools tournament.

Costs could be defrayed by housing the lads at boarding rugby schools like Riverview, Joeys and TSS at this time of the year in school holidays, or at places like the AIS at Narrabeen - then having the games at the location.

** ... "logical offshoot" - I mentioned "offshoot" which is a polite word for "digression", though I note that on the very, very few occasions I have morphed into digression, no logic was actually needed.

PS - by all means keep going with the idea of a national Colts match even if it doesn't tie in with what I am rabbiting on about.

country rugby

Frank Nicholson (4)
Has anybody heard anything yet as to the make up of the squad, the game is only 5 or 6 weeks away and we dont want this to be a poorly prepared team.

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
By the sounds of it it will be a last minute thing and everyone will be expecting the Aussies to play well against a touring team that has been together for some time.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
By the sounds of it it will be a last minute thing and everyone will be expecting the Aussies to play well against a touring team that has been together for some time.

I suspect you may be right, bloodred, a continuation of a long tradition in Australian rugby. In recognition of this, perhaps our team could be named "The Headless Chooks".

DownsSupporter

Frank Nicholson (4)
I expect they will just reprise the Australian Schoolboys team of last year, and presto, Australian U19 - a funny way to get an Australian jumper

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
If that is the case it would be a poor excuse for an u/19 team. Surely there are many players that are shining in Club/Colts rugby that for one reason or other were never in the running for the schoolboys. And I also assume that a number of those schoolboys from last year would still be U/18

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
It better not be poorly organised. I already have a couple of bets with Poms in my office who are coming to the game...

R

rugby_man

I'd like to see this side play:

Australia Under 19
1. Gary Neugebauer
2. Hugh Roach
3. Michael Bermingham
4. Steve Cummins
5. Michael Stolberg
6. David Hickey
7. Liam Gill (c)
8. Miles McCaffrey
9. Matt Lucas
10. Kyle Godwin
11. Lindsay Crook
12. Apolosi Latunipulu
13. Malietoa Hingano
14. Walter Petaia
15. Mitch Felsman

16. Andrew Ready
17. Guy Millar
18. Mitch Carpenter
19. Gerard O'Hare
20. Nick Frisby
21. Dion Taumata
22. Lewis Holland

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I'm going to assume you only know mostly QLD players haha.
But those players would definatly be the QLDer's in contention.

R

rugby_man

I'm actually from NSW and know more about the NSW players but I just think that the QLD players I named are more hardened due to playing in Premier Grade. There are some good players from NSW but they are still in colts eg. Mark Bannon, Chris Ingate, Sam Muller, Blake Sutton etc. The Poms will have some very big units in there and I think picking players with Shute Shield or Premier Grade experience would hold them in good stead to counter the Poms.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Ahhh yes my apologies. But that is true, there is a decent amount of teenagers playing premier grade this year, and most playing well consistantly (ie: Felsman, Lucas, Carpenter, O'Hare).

Unfourtunatly Stollberg is out for the season, he was playing well for Easts

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Nothing north of the boarder Nusadan. QLD boys are still 17 and probably a bit too raw, Curtis Browning would be the best best, maybe Chris F'Sautia if fit. Not sure of ages south of the boarder but Michael Wells, Rhys Dombkins, Alan Alaataloa, Waldo Wessels and Saia Taginoa could be possibilities.

L

leftside

Australia Under 19
1. Gary Neugebauer
2. Hugh Roach
3. Michael Bermingham
4. Steve Cummins
5. Michael Stolberg
6. David Hickey
7. Liam Gill (c)
8. Miles McCaffrey
9. Matt Lucas
10. Kyle Godwin
11. Lindsay Crook
12. Apolosi Latunipulu
13. Malietoa Hingano
14. Walter Petaia
15. Mitch Felsman

16. Andrew Ready
17. Guy Millar
18. Mitch Carpenter
19. Gerard O'Hare
20. Nick Frisby
21. Dion Taumata
22. Lewis Holland

i like the look of that team...any team with four terrace boys and two jeeps boys in it is a good team

W

waves

Australia Under 19
1. Gary Neugebauer
2. Hugh Roach
3. Michael Bermingham
4. Steve Cummins
5. Michael Stolberg
6. David Hickey
7. Liam Gill (c)
8. Miles McCaffrey
9. Matt Lucas
10. Kyle Godwin
11. Lindsay Crook
12. Apolosi Latunipulu
13. Malietoa Hingano
14. Walter Petaia
15. Mitch Felsman

16. Andrew Ready
17. Guy Millar
18. Mitch Carpenter
19. Gerard O'Hare
20. Nick Frisby
21. Dion Taumata
22. Lewis Holland

Is 21 next year ... wont be eligable

S

sportsfan

LG and Bruce, thanks for your responses. When is this team announced?

I noticed on London Irish web site, that England think they are playing "NSW Academy XV" which might explain the lack of info at this end?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom