• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australians playing in Europe and Japan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maroon Army

Do any of you know how many Aussies are currently playing overseas?

And if possible, who they are?

Thanks.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
Do you know the value of a guy named Poutasi Luafutu which is followed by Brive?
I never heard about the man!

T

TOCC

played for the Reds, and then in the Air New Zealand Cup, not a bad player, but couldnt crack the Reds starting side in 2010 until the last game against the Highlanders where he scored a double.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I didn't particularly rate Tasi Luafutu, and I don't think too many Reds supporters did either. He wasn't a bad player, really, but he was more of a busy openside, instead of a fetcher, which the Reds needed with the retirement of Croft. Didn't greatly impress in the bigger chances he got, despite some cameos where he was in the right spots at the right times for a couple of tries. Alright squad player, but you don't want him to be your starting player week in week out.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member

Apparently there was a permissions issue on the page, so people couldn't edit it, Moses was looking into it.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I didn't particularly rate Tasi Luafutu, and I don't think too many Reds supporters did either. He wasn't a bad player, really, but he was more of a busy openside, instead of a fetcher, which the Reds needed with the retirement of Croft. Didn't greatly impress in the bigger chances he got, despite some cameos where he was in the right spots at the right times for a couple of tries. Alright squad player, but you don't want him to be your starting player week in week out.

He played well for Tasman in the ITM Cup at number 8. It is a better position for him me thinks.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The Australian Rugby Troubadors was a project I started some years ago, and I confess I haven't updated it for the 2010/11 NH season. Moses asked me some time ago if I minded if it went up on G&GR's Rugbypedia, of course I didn't: it should be in the public domain and allowed to be edited/updated by any member of G&GR. However, the list which was transferred was an Excel spreadsheet kept on Wikipedia which was accessible by only Moses and me.

Give Moses and I a couple of days and we'll endeavour to make it an open database.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
Regarding "troubadours" in France,
- It's official for Luafutu playing in Brive next season.
- It's "not yet" official pour Morgan Turinui leaving Dax for Michael Cheika's Stade Français

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Henry is likely to stay over there, as he has had a good contract offered by Bristol. That said, all depends on whether the team gets promoted. French teams have also extended offers apparently.

Would have loved to see him stay at the Brumbies and in the Aussie 7's team - alas, c'est la vie.

@cave dweller - Henry has captained the Aussie 7's, didn't crack Australia A.

C

Cave Dweller

Henry is likely to stay over there, as he has had a good contract offered by Bristol. That said, all depends on whether the team gets promoted. French teams have also extended offers apparently.

Would have loved to see him stay at the Brumbies and in the Aussie 7's team - alas, c'est la vie.

@cave dweller - Henry has captained the Aussie 7's, didn't crack Australia A.
Hi thanks for that but I was actually referring to Poutasi Luafutu.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Based on everything i have seen (premier rugby, Reds Games, and ITM Cup) I would have Tasi over Ed Quirk any day. Fantastic player if played in the correct way. He is very much akin to Matt Hodgson & myself (Thierry Dusautoir) except I would say tasi packs more of a punch. He is doing quite well over in France by all accounts.

T

tranquility

Ha ha,

Tasi was very fortunate to ever play at Super level after playing one good match against the Bulls when he was in the academy..
After that match he never performed with any distinction, and in most instances struggled to make head-weigh in attack or defense.

Quirk on the other hand is a genuine star of the future who is only lacking for experience. He is a former Bronze boot winner, and dominated QLD premier rugby as a 18/19 year old. He has also acquitted himself well in Super rugby with limited opportunity. Very much a watch this space.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Based on everything i have seen (premier rugby, Reds Games, and ITM Cup) I would have Tasi over Ed Quirk any day. Fantastic player if played in the correct way. He is very much akin to Matt Hodgson & myself (Thierry Dusautoir) except I would say tasi packs more of a punch. He is doing quite well over in France by all accounts.
Ahh a good laugh is what I needed on a Monday morning, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.