• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Baa Baas v Wallabies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Plank and McAlister it seems.

Former Wallaby forward Justin Harrison and exciting All Blacks centre Luke McAlister have been added to the Barbarians team to play Australia at Sydney Football Stadium on June 6.

The pair were confirmed in the team on Friday along with winger Doug Howlett, the most prolific Test try-scorer in New Zealand rugby history, hard-running Samoan centre Seilala Mapusua and Kiwi five-eighth Nick Evans.

The Barbarians side already included the likes of Rocky Elsom, Jerry Collins, Justin Marshall and Sonny Bill Williams.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=800159

1/
2/ Bruno
3/
4/ Harrison
5/
6/ Collins
7/
8/ Elsom/Corry
9/ Marshall
10/ Evans
11/ SBW?
12/ McAlister
13/ Mapusua
14/ Howlett
15/

Shaping up to be a decent team.

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
More names added:

Veteran All Blacks second-rower Chris Jack is among the latest high-profile international players confirmed for an historic showdown between the Barbarians and the Wallabies in Sydney next month.

For their first ever visit to Australia, the Barbarians Club are assembling a world-class combination, with Test stars from around the globe accepting invitations to wear the hooped black and white jersey for the Wallabies' opening international of the year at SFS on 6 June.

Jack was among four more players confirmed as starters on Thursday, with Irish fullback Geordan Murphy, South African prop BJ Botha and English utility back Iain Balshaw the others.

The Barbarians squad, to be finalised next week, now boasts the following confirmed talent:

Backs - Sonny Bill Williams (Nzl), Justin Marshall (Nzl), Geordan Murphy (Ire), Luke McAlister (Nzl) , Seilala Mapusua (Samoa), Doug Howlett (Nzl), Josh Lewsey (Eng), Iain Balshaw (Eng).

Forwards - Rocky Elsom (Aus), Jerry Collins (Nzl), Martin Corry (Eng), Chris Jack (Nzl), BJ Botha (Rsa), Serge Betsen (Fra), Justin Harrison (Aus), Sebastien Bruno (Fra).

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=810885

Edit:

1/
2/ Bruno
3/ BJ Botha
4/ Harrison Jack
5/ Bakkies
6/ Collins
7/ Betsen
8/ Elsom
9/ Marshall
10/ Evans
11/ Lewsey
12/ McAlister
13/ SBW
14/ Howlett
15/ Murphy

16/
17/
18/ Plank
19/ Corry
20/
21/ Mapusua (although I might have read he is ripping it up in Europe?)
22/ Balshaw

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
So:

1/
2/ Bruno
3/ BJ Botha
4/ Harrison
5/ Jack
6/ Collins
7/ Betsen
8/ Elsom
9/ Marshall
10/ Evans
11/ Balshaw
12/ McAlister
13/ SWB
14/ Howlett
15/ Lewsey

The Baabaas usually play one uncapped player. Wonder if they'll choose a young Australian?

Farken solid looking that lot. I'd be a bit uneasy taking them on if I were Deans.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Blue said:
The Baabaas usually play one uncapped player. Wonder if they'll choose a young Australian?

Farken solid looking that lot. I'd be a bit uneasy taking them on if I were Deans.

Hopefully. If it were me I would play big Ratu, but they may play a young prop so as not to bench a big name.

Baabaa sides always look solid but lack cohesion. They will play good footy and go down by 20, as Barbarians teams always do.

Scotty

David Codey (61)

This side is no better than the one the wallabies played last year (and beat with a weakened lineup).

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Scotty said:

This side is no better than the one the wallabies played last year (and beat with a weakened lineup).

agreed 123%. I think the side looks pretty damn average. There will be players arriving a day or two before the game I'm guessing. If the Aussies don't put 30+ on them I'll be disapointed.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I'll just be happy if we can put in a good forward performance, control possesion and the backs look like they have actually met each other before the game.

And scrape over the line for a win.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Scotty said:
I'll just be happy if we can put in a good forward performance, control possesion and the backs look like they have actually met each other before the game.

And scrape over the line for a win.

not me.

Depends on the team though. For that game, understanding there needs to be some crowd value, I'd be picking:

15 Drew Mitchell
14 Lachlan Turner
13 Digby Ione
12 James O'Connor
11 Lote Tuqiri
10 Matt Giteau
9 Luke Burgess
8 Wycliffe Palu
7 Phil Waugh
6 Mitchell Chapman
5 James Horwill
4 Dean Mumm
3 Al Baxter
2 Tatafu Polata-Nau
1 Ben Alexander

16 Stephen moore
17 Sekope Kepu
18 Richard Brown
19 David Pocock
20 Josh Valentine
21 Ryan Cross
22 Timana Tahu

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Nice attacking team Noddy.

Sonny Bill confirmed as the uncapped player, and a few more announcements...

Irish centre Gordon D'Arcy (41 Tests), All Blacks prop Greg Somerville (57 Tests), Welsh prop Iestyn Thomas (33 Tests) and South African five-eighth Peter Grant (5 Tests) have become the latest players confirmed for the match at Sydney Football Stadium on June 6.

Several more players will be confirmed in coming days to finalise the touring party that will play England at Twickenham on May 30 before heading to Australia.

Former NRL star Sonny Bill Williams fills the traditional spot left open by the Barbarians for an uncapped player.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=812233

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
In the latst club rugby podcast by ruggamatrix, Casho mentions that big Ratu is going to London for the Eng v BaaBaa game, I assume to play. Anyone heard anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.