• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bad news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
From news.com.au

"New South Wales Waratahs centre Rob Horne is returning home after injuring his hamstring at training in Tokyo. He will be replaced by Brumbies centre Tyrone Smith."

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
It's the same injury. He damaged his hamstring in the Super14 and it wasn't right for him to be picked for the U/20 squad because he did it again with them. Then it looks like he tried to get back too early for the 2nd time in an attempt to get on the EOYT.

Perhaps his hamstrings are not genetically suited to the training and playing loads of professional rugby, but I know one thing for damn sure: he would have got better treatment with an NFL team because they are decades ahead of rugby union in Oz and know how to protect their investments.

And the NRL are ahead of us too - and even French rugby union. When some TV shots of SBW came through pre-season of his training at Toulon just after he had joined up, one of the trainers at the Bulldogs, from whence he came, nearly fell off his chair watching it. He told my B-I-Law that the exercises he was doing was almost exactly wrong for the leg problems he had at the Doggies. And so it proved: he was crocked before the season started.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
LG hits the target yet again.

I wonder if it would be worth the ARU's (or any S14 team's) while to see how the AFL teams prevent/ manage such injuries? I know very little about that game but it does seem that hamstring/"groin" injuries occur far less there, despite the nature of the game suggesting they should be more frequent than in our game.

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)
Lee Grant said:
And the NRL are ahead of us too - and even French rugby union. When some TV shots of SBW came through pre-season of his training at Toulon just after he had joined up, one of the trainers at the Bulldogs, from whence he came, nearly fell off his chair watching it. He told my B-I-Law that the exercises he was doing was almost exactly wrong for the leg problems he had at the Doggies. And so it proved: he was crocked before the season started.

He's crocked due to calcification of the leg he broke 12 months ago. He was more often injured than not at the bulldogs to be fair.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The AFL boys seem to do a lot of upper body work in the gym, but probably most of their leg work is running / playing / stretching rather than the weights a lot of the rugby boys seem to do. All these rugby guys sure look buffed to the max, but I wonder whether their real-world fitness is as good.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
cyclopath said:
The AFL boys seem to do a lot of upper body work in the gym, but probably most of their leg work is running / playing / stretching rather than the weights a lot of the rugby boys seem to do. All these rugby guys sure look buffed to the max, but I wonder whether their real-world fitness is as good.

I do have it from the very best authority in the AFL that, in the 1980s when knee problems were horrific, one coach (same bloke) addressed the problem by greatly increasing the running part of conditioning, especially in the first month of training. Problem solved. He continued to place great emphasis on the running element and found that all sorts of injuries were reduced.

Weights and creatin have their limitations, don'cha know?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Biffo said:
cyclopath said:

I do have it from the very best authority in the AFL that, in the 1980s when knee problems were horrific, one coach (same bloke) addressed the problem by greatly increasing the running part of conditioning, especially in the first month of training. Problem solved. He continued to place great emphasis on the running element and found that all sorts of injuries were reduced.

Weights and creatin have their limitations, don'cha know?
Oh, I know alright, Biffo.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Disappointing for Horne but T. Smith should arguably have been picked in front of him to start with based on form this season. A good replacement.

Gerrard had plenty of hamstring problems but eventually worked out how to manage them. Horne should speak to him.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Cutter said:
Disappointing for Horne but T. Smith should arguably have been picked in front of him to start with based on form this season. A good replacement.

Gerrard had plenty of hamstring problems but eventually worked out how to manage them. Horne should speak to him.
Well, Gerrard "managed" by becoming as slow as a wet week and not really extending his hammies, as did Tahu in League by his own admission. Not saying Gerrard was not effective at 15, and still had many good attributes.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Would love to see Tyrone get some early game time. Could be a bolter to watch this tour.

T

TOCC

cyclopath said:

AFL players in general arent nearly as big as rugby players, they are all pretty ripped though. Most of the injuries rugby players suffer are shoulder or lower leg injuries like ankles. They do there shoulders obviously due to the collision velocity, but they do there ankles and feet because they are so heavy, our bodies were designed to carry 115kg.

AFL suffers a lot of hamstring injuries, its the nature of the beast, the need endurance so they can run all game, but they require explosive power for those booming kicks.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
TheRiddler said:
Biffo said:
He will be replaced by Brumbies centre Tyrone Smith."

Waiting for the indignation from WJ that Tom Carter wasnt called on to replace him....... :)

And not just WJ.

Only yesterday Robbie Deans was quoted as saying "there could come a time when the Matt Giteaus, James O'Connors and Will Genias of the game simply find themselves too small to survive at the top level.” Yet here you have a genuine 100kg centre in Tom Carter who has dominated the centres in Sydney Premiership rugby for years. His work rate, metres covered and tackle effectiveness is without peer.

In this year's Super 14 Tyrone Smith averaged 8.8 tackles per 80 minutes played, of which he missed 22.1%. Tom Carter averaged 10.8 tackles of which he missed 8.0%.

You can attribute Carter's non-recognition this year to the extraordinarily dumb backline play and selection policies adopted by the current Waratahs coaches.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Bruce, what were their line-bust, tackle bust offloads and metres run?

I didn't realised we chose centres on defense alone

(although I too think Carter is underrated)

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Bruce Ross said:
...a genuine 100kg centre in Tom Carter who has dominated the centres in Sydney Premiership rugby for years. His work rate, metres covered and tackle effectiveness is without peer.

All well and good but he can't pass. Deans won't tolerate a back who isn't capable of using the width of the field.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Gagger said:
Bruce, what were their line-bust, tackle bust offloads and metres run?

I didn't realised we chose centres on defense alone

(although I too think Carter is underrated)

Gagger, Smith had 4 line breaks and Carter had 3. I can find no stats for "tackle bust offloads' but Smith had 22 "tackles bust" and Carter had 13. On "metres run" Carter covers more ground than the early explorers and is continually the first chaser for the Waratahs, so I don't think there would have been any centre in the Super 14 competition who ran more metres.

Lindommer who says that Carter "can't pass" presumably didn't bother watching club rugby this season.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Bruce Ross said:
Lindommer who says that Carter "can't pass" presumably didn't bother watching club rugby this season.

I watched a club game every match week this winter as well as all home Super matches in Sydney. Added to that I also caught up with a handful of schoolboys matches, the Tahs trial in Newcastle, the Oz under 20 match against Uruguay and the Wallaby trial at Riverview. And a few others I can't recall.

There are other rugby clubs apart from Sydney Uni, Bruce. You'd be well advised to remember that.

Status
Not open for further replies.