• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Barbarians Australian Tour 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Dempsey couldn’t drag his own leg forward, looks to be a torn hip flexor, horrible injury

66bbd3576e731b6bbe535af884dde76e.jpg

Absolutely gutting. For the Wallabies and Dempsey. We FINALLY find a 6 and he FINALLY starts playing a few games, wins MOTM then tears a muscle from the bone.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Reckon half his problem was trying to referee to the rule of the law too much and ending up just coming off as prick. Other half was incompetency.

Yeah, I guess we as punters expect BaaBaas games to be reffed a bit leniently. Most would hope YCs like those would not be called. I get that. But the refs are all scrutinised pretty closely and tackles like Quade's have been YC all year, like it or not. The other one was for offside / repeat offences / had been warned, so pretty soft I agree, although maybe being technically correct. None of this stuff helped the game in any way, really, but I get the feeling that refs want to try to make sure they get marked well by their bosses. Shame, in the context of these "fun" games.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
And let's all hope that is last time Alan Jones is ever involved in the game, that was pretty poor after match comments, even for a radio shock jock. He did the Baabaas brand no favours at all. Sure he as much as ref doesn't understand what Baabaas rugby is!

He's made a fortune as a professional whinger, what did you expect?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Some stand out performances in the game.

Luke Jones put in a MOTM performance. All the Baa Baas' locks outperformed the Wallabies' locks.

The Baa Baas' back row out played the Wallabies, with Palu and Naisarani easily the best. As someone who has bagged Cliff Palu in the last couple of years of his time in the Wallabies, I wish he had shown half of today's efforts for the Wallabies in that time.

Also, as someone who has never rated Ben McCalman, he put in a very strong shift after he came on. Is he now injury-free perhaps?

Pulu was many steps ahead of Phipps at No 9. Phipps actually had little or no impact on the general play of the Wallabies. He simply shoveled the ball on from the breakdown and scrum. Joe Powell was actually quicker to the breakdown than Phipps had been. Shame on Cheika/Larkham for continually failing to give Powell more opportunity at Wallaby level.

Naiyaravoro's best game ever imo playing at 13. He and Banks formed a formidable partnership out wide.

Hunt was busy but lacked impact. Meakes was poor. No 12 will not be taken off Beale by either of these players.

Quade underplayed his hand but still showed his creativeness at times. His cross field kick to put Banks and Naiyaravoro away was equally as good as any Barrett has pulled off, while it just couldn't be performed by of our pretender No 10s, including Foley.

Not much good can be said about the Wallabies. Kerevi again showed that he cannot defend adequately at 13.

Good summary. With Dempsey out, McCalman could be a late call up for spring tour. Yes best game I have seen from Naiyaravoro and interesting was at 13. Could this potentially be a better position for him? Now I know defence use to be concerns about him but thought he defended well today playing 13. Naisarani in a year's time will be pushing Dempsey for the 6 position or possibly with Pocock for 8 position, what a good player. Beale has clearly 12 sown up but always good to know who could be next up if he got injured. Meakes was very disappointing which was a pity after good Super Rugby season. Hunt not been back after layoff from injury and yes lacked impact today but reckon he will be in mix for place on bench in matchday 23 given he can cover a number of positions and hence value as utility player.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
And let's all hope that is last time Alan Jones is ever involved in the game, that was pretty poor after match comments, even for a radio shock jock. He did the Baabaas brand no favours at all. Sure he as much as ref doesn't understand what Baabaas rugby is!

I thought that he was remarkably restrained.

He's pretty much 100% right IMO.

http://www.rugby.com.au/videos/2017/10/28/post-match-press-conference-barbarians

That referee personified everything that is wrong with rugby - an official out of his depth and with no feel for the game. It's no wonder people like Wamberal complain about the laws.

We did learn that the ARU made $1.6 million out of it despite doing nothing.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)

http://www.rugby.com.au/videos/2017/10/28/post-match-press-conference-barbarians

That referee personified everything that is wrong with rugby - an official out of his depth and with no feel for the game. It's no wonder people like Wamberal complain about the laws.

Yes and his complaints showed he actually cared about putting on a contest for the fans and not just treating the game as a way for the ARU to make a bit of money off a glorified contact session to determine the last few tour spots. You don't want to pay good money to go to watch a game that looks like it's going to go down to the wire only to have the referee spoil it in the last ten minutes.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Yes and his complaints showed he actually cared about putting on a contest for the fans and not just treating the game as a way for the ARU to make a bit of money off a glorified contact session to determine the last few tour spots. You don't want to pay good money to go to watch a game that looks like it's going to go down to the wire only to have the referee spoil it in the last ten minutes.

And where I was sitting, pretty much everyone was expressing the same thoughts as Jones - some much more forcefully.

EDIT: And I love the way the the ARU trouser $1.6 million from a game that they say had nothing to do with them and for which they did zero promotion.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
i thought the fans let the ref know exactly what they wanted. i loved the boo's after the try was disallowed it was classic baa baa's and down in our section we were cheering for any sort of great running rugby leading to tries.

the fans must have gotten under his skin leading to the double YC's.

admittedly quade did commit a head high that has been yellow all year. but still ......

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I wasn't particularly happy with the harsh sanctions "in the spirit of the Baa Baas" etc and expressed that, but Cyclo has a point.........

I imagine the referee is damned either way whether it by the fans or his bosses.

For the most part I thought he did officiate in the spirit of the game and tried to let things play out a bit.

And Alan Jones is just a sick, miserable shell of a human being who seeks attention and nobody should treat him seriously.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

This game was always about adding cash to the ARU coffers. And Alan jones was always probably going to have a dig at the ARU. Pity jones wants to pull the pin on any more cameo coaching gigs as baa baa performance shows he still has got the goods coaching wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
This game was always about adding cash to the ARU coffers. And Alan jones was always probably going to have a dig at the ARU. Pity jones wants to pull the pin on any more cameo coaching gigs as baa baa performance shows he still has got the goods coaching wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what we thought until this intervention from Clyne and Pulver this week. So given that it seems that they were in fact going to earn money from it, one again asks why they did zero promotion and spent the past few days trying to distance themselves from it. With a bit of investment on their behalf, maybe they could have made a bit more (sorely needed) cash and gained some good publicity and good will. Very confusing, vrom a very confused administration.

"There's a bit of a misunderstanding, it's not our game," Clyne said. "It's a Barbarians game, they invite us to play. It's not our game to promote, it's theirs to promote.

Status
Not open for further replies.