• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Barbarians to play Wallabies at SFS - 6/6/9

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

formeropenside

Monday, December 22, 2008 - 12:49 PM
Source: ABC News

The Wallabies will open their 2009 domestic season against an international Barbarians team in Sydney on June 6, the Australian Rugby Union (ARU) said.

The ARU said the Wallabies will take on an all-star Barbarians outfit at the Sydney Football Stadium, a week before their opening season international against Italy in Canberra.

It will be the first time the Wallabies and Barbarians, which have a head-to-head history stretching back 60 years, have played each other in Australia, the ARU said.

Barbarians matches have been traditionally scheduled as finales for Wallaby tours to Europe with nine matches played between 1948 and 2001 before the concept was revived during the recent visit to Britain, France and Italy.

The Wallabies beat a high-class Barbarians' combination 18-11 at Wembley on December 3.

"The success of that (Wembley) match hardened our resolve to finalise discussions with the Barbarians about them coming to Australia for the first time," ARU managing director John O'Neill said in a statement.

"Those negotiations also ensure us a Barbarians side of real quality, one that will help deliver a new experience to Australian sporting fans, and at a ground where our national team has not played for almost a decade."

The Wallabies have not played at the Sydney Football Stadium since a 41-29 victory over the New Zealand Maori in 2001.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Like any of these games much will depend on the quality of the opposition. Lions tour will be on so possibly some NHers but no frontliners. Might be a few Kefu, Harrison types.

F

formeropenside

Noddy said:
Like any of these games much will depend on the quality of the opposition. Lions tour will be on so possibly some NHers but no frontliners. Might be a few Kefu, Harrison types.

Depends whether the AB's have a bye that weekend perhaps.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Woo-hoo,

I think that will be great (especially as it's in Sydney ;D). I wonder if it was a JON initiative?

Like the match at Wembley in will give the Dingo a chance to use Oz squad members who are not first rankers a chance to start - or maybe some likely Wallaby starters against Italy missed the end of the S14 and need a run.

For some players it will be a real trial, them against the bench player, or Dingo could suggest that such is the case.

And if things start turning brown he can bring the real Wallabies from the bench.

I hope that a lot of work is done in getting the best players available. The NZ and Bok coaches would be interested in getting a run for some players who missed the end of the S14 through injuries to get them up to speed, and there will be some good players who missed their two squads - and who missed out the Lions squad.

And I hope that some players like Kelleher, Spencer and McAllister and other elite players from Europe will be available.

I don't know which national teams are touring at that time - probable not a lot with the Lions in South Africa - but if a few Argentine and French players are available a reasonable team could be assembled. Seeing Gregan and Larkham live at the ground one more time would be a bonus also.

Somebody mentioned Kefu - don't laugh but Steve Kefu is playing the best rugby I have seen him play (OK, maybe it's not saying a lot you might say), and younger brother Mafi is playing well too for his team.

One thing for sure: If it is anywhere near as good as the last Wallabies game at the SFS, against the Maori, it will be a cracker.

Status
Not open for further replies.