• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Barnes joins Tahs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I am still devastated by it. Perhaps all the moves of the various players have now just dulled my senses. This is the lowest I have felt, from a Reds perspective, in a very long time. At least in season's past I have had some glimmer of hope. At this point, I have none of that at all.

I would say this goes for you and the other 10 reds fans that are left.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Noddy said:
Scotty said:
I don't for a second blame Berrick. He goes where he is best served. I can see why the Tahs would be more attractive than the Reds.

Noddy,

I seem to recall you had a different view when Moore left.

Moore, Horwill and Barnes were the players we were meant to be rebuilding our team around. Now we only have one left.

yeah that's a fair point. To be honest I can't remember being as vehement against Moore because I understand that he had issues with Mark Bell, but I guess my arguing was that the Reds had just started a seemingly promising upturn. Mooney's first year and we had showed some promise and Moore had only just established himself in the Wallabies. So I couldn't see the point really. The same, even worse, applies to Mitchell and Sharpe.

But two years on and there seems to have been no real up turn. And things don't seem to be improving. I can understand the frustrations for someone who puts such high expectations on himself when he looks around him during the game and sees team mates clearly not putting in. And he's sees an administration not on the ball (although from the sound of it, the NSWRU aren't nirvana in that sense).

I am still devastated by it. Perhaps all the moves of the various players have now just dulled my senses. This is the lowest I have felt, from a Reds perspective, in a very long time. At least in season's past I have had some glimmer of hope. At this point, I have none of that at all.

OK, I'm doing that quote-within-a-quote thing that I told people not to do. But I just wanted to point out how amazingly well the Brumbies turned around their forward problems. So, they're not challenging the Bulls for forward dominance, but they are no longer a joke. It shows that change starts at the top. Getting the right people in the right positions. From what Bob says on the blog page, QLD are still not getting quality people.

Some people say that Reds rugby is poor but QLD rugby is strong. I'm not so sure. Terrific schoolboys, but not so good clubs. They came last and 2nd last in the ARC when they should have been punching at the top.

I think the reason players leave for the Brumbies and elsewhere is for the quality of DEVELOPMENT that they know they won't get in QLD.

cheezel

Bill Watson (15)
Noddy said:

I'm putting a bit of hope that this fires the remaining team up a bit, and hopefully they put in some hard yards in training and off-season and come out to prove everyone who is saying "QLD rugby is dead" wrong.

We've had some pretty strong sides on paper for the last few years yet still had shitty results. Now we essentially have a shitty side, hopefully being written off as no-hopers brings out a bit of spirit that hasn't been evident in the last few years.

On a side note, all contracts leaving the QRU should have emblazoned on the top "What would Eales do", because he wouldn't fucking leave a sinking ship.

I'm still very dirty. Fucking Barnes

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
fatprop said:
It may have helped if the Reds had more in place, like a forwards coach etc and a commitment to play more sensible, winning rugby.

Hmmm, this makes me hope that the ARU will allow Jim Williams to coach at the Reds next season.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I thought I read that Williams is heading to Perth next year... will look for a link

T

TOCC

ok, so ive calmed down a little and thought a little harder about this situation, i wont lie i will find it very difficult to follow the Reds in 2010, i cant be bothered been let down again.

But, maybe this short term pain will be beneficial for the Reds in the longer term, this might just be the kick up the arse the QRU need, my only hope is that it hasnt come to late.

In 2011 a new team(presumably aussie) will enter the S15, the next 18months is going to see pillaging and poaching akin to the Western Force inception. If the QRU take heed of the message which has been sent by Barnes leaving, if a cleanout and restructure of the organisation takes place and if the whole attitude at Ballymore changes then we might see a turnaround in time to thwart a mass exodus of players to the new S15 side.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
My father just forwarded me this, along with the message: "garbage!"

> *~* A message to QR Reds fans *~*
> Berrick Barnes today advised QR Reds Head Coach Phil Mooney that he had
> decided to take up an offer of a one year contract with the NSW Waratahs
> in 2010.
>
> Former Queensland and Wallaby greats Daniel Herbert, Tim Horan and Dan
> Crowley, who along with Mooney are part of the Reds' new recruitment and
> retention panel, have moved to reassure Reds supporters, stakeholders and
> sponsors that while this news will be difficult to accept, many committed
> people remain prepared to do the "heavy lifting" needed to continue the
> Reds revival.
>
> "We all threw everything we could at keeping Berrick with the Reds but, to
> be honest, we now believe he'd already made up his mind to leave," said
> Herbert, who recently took over as Reds General Manager.
>
> "Of course we are disappointed about his decision, especially as Berrick
> has improved and matured as a player during his four years with the Reds
> and, now that he is hitting his peak, Queensland will not benefit from
> that investment in his development," Herbert said.
>
> "However life goes on and we are all confident that the Reds will be
> competitive in 2010 and that this temporary setback to our plans will be
> overcome. There is a core group of committed players, the coaching staff
> are motivated to succeed, the talent ID system is working and we will all
> redouble our efforts to achieve the success we know is not far away."
>
> Horan said he understood that Berrick Barnes' decision would be difficult
> for fans, former players and other stakeholders to understand and accept.
>
> "Professional players relocate for a variety of reasons: money,
> opportunity, lifestyle or a change of environment," Horan said.
>
> "In Berrick's case we think there was a combination of reasons, but lack
> of opportunity certainly wasn't one of them.
>
> "I'd also like to reassure fans that no stone was left unturned in trying
> to convince him to stay.
>
> "I also want to state that, from what we have witnessed since coming
> aboard in these new roles, there is very little wrong with what the Reds
> and Queensland Rugby are doing at the moment and we are confident that the
> ingredients for future success are there."
>
> Crowley backed up Horan by predicting that the team will respond well to
> the news once they have absorbed it.
>
> "If it was me I'd be absolutely filthy about this, but then I'm old
> school. But I do think the players will harden up and determine to prove
> the knockers wrong," Crowley said.
>
> "No doubt there'll be plenty of knockers on the sidelines - some of whom
> should know better - but Dan, Tim, Phil Mooney, Paul Carozza, the players
> and many others who are working to turn this ship around will keep doing
> the heavy lifting while others look on."
>

Scotty

David Codey (61)
TOCC,

They ignored the message that Moore sent in leaving, what makes you think they will listen to this one.

Oh and the fact we can only ever seem to lose international quality players, not actually recruit any. (Surely missing out on Elsom should have sent a rocket up their arses a few months ago.)

I don't know how it is going to happen, but the Reds need to be separated from the QRU immediately, and a professional structure put in place.

Scotty

David Codey (61)

How can we believe this, Timmy?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Scotty said:

How can we believe this, Timmy?

agreed. He's been there, what, a few weeks?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Scotty said:
I don't know how it is going to happen, but the Reds need to be separated from the QRU immediately, and a professional structure put in place.

Exactly so - let it be done professionally and - dare I say it again - let the tyranny of the marketplace work - and to avoid the complaints of Luddites - within reason (the team stays in Qld, yarda, yarda.)

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
fatprop said:
naza said:
Barnes ? Did we really need a Shaun Berne replacement ?

Are there any players in the world you like?

Fatcat, Squeaky, Jimmy Horwill, Cliffy Palu, Dean Mumm, George Smith, Luke Burgess, Stirling Mortlock, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) for starters.

I maintain that Barnes to me is merely Elton Flatley II. He's solid, good in defence and offers a good boot at centre. Not much else. And he isn't even that solid as we saw with his botched try at Eden Park.

The 2nd 5/8th/playmaker option at 12 is a dud experiment for mine. Its like the Australian cricket selectors trying to shoehorn that epic gimp Shane Watson into the side. Because, like, wow it'd just be awesome to have a genuine all rounder.

Who are the best 12s going round at the moment ? Probably Jamie Roberts & Ma'a Nonu. Why are we so obsessed with this mythical style of rugby this 'extra playmaker' would offer ? I hate seeing Barnes throw cut out passes that the slide defence eats for breakfast. Give me a quality power runner who can break the line. We need our patterns. We need to hang onto the pill, recycle, build some rythym and momentum. Not waste the handful of good attacking opportunities we get with Barnes and Giteau launching soft cross field kick options.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I almost agree with you naza. Apart from Barnes, there are 3 players I would be happy for Deans to give a run at 12. One is Giteau and the others are AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Tyrone Smith. Ultimately we should pick the best 12 available and I'm not convinced that is Barnes.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
agree cutter.
barnes is great but is our most dangerous ten?
i think T.Smith should get a call.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet but I heard that Barnes quit the Reds because he was unhappy working with their backline coach (I'm not sure of his name). Apparently he requested Phil Mooney (since he was running the investigation) to review him and sack him because he wasn't performing and was difficult to work with. Phil Mooney is, however, good friends with this coach and didn't have the guts to sack him. Mooney thought Barnes was bluffing when he said he would leave and didn't persue the case further. Result: Barnes signs for the Waratahs on a 1 year deal with the potential to come back to the Reds if they get rid of the backline coach later.

Not sure how reputable this source is, but take it as you will. Might fuel some discussion about what were the actual reasons for leaving.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Lee Grant said:
Scotty said:

Exactly so - let it be done professionally and - dare I say it again - let the tyranny of the marketplace work - and to avoid the complaints of Luddites - within reason (the team stays in Qld, yarda, yarda.)

A lack of faith in the market doesnt make you a heretic. If left to the market, the Reds may or may not survive and if they did survive, may not prosper again for many years. The best way to ensure a balance of talent between the squads is some sort of transfer system.

T

TOCC

Lee Grant said:
Scotty said:

unfortunately the tyranny of the marketplace will see the AFL and NRL picking over the scraps of the QRU, its not as simple to sit back and say, oh tough luck. Rugby Union in QLD is struggling, numbers have been in decline, corporate support for QLD and the Wallabies is wavering, Rugby Union is slipping down the pecking order. This will have big impacts on the game as a whole, QLD is the second largest market for rugby, poor ratings mean less money for everyone, it will severly impact the game nationally.

Something needs to be done, the Reds are a representation of rugby union in QLD, they are the flag ship, they are the product which sells the game, its disgusting to see it in the current state.

Status
Not open for further replies.