• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ben Mowen survives alleged mutiny plot.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It goes back to the point about how dumb to have to expect the players to be.

If somebody brings back a drug test positive to cocaine are we going to so, oh they weren't told not to get on the rack? No of course not.

Why do professional athletes need to be told they shouldn't engage in what would be legitimately described as a binge drinking session, during a test week, prior to a recovery day?

Would they not be aware it's not good for them? Would they not be aware it would impede their recovery?

Of course they would be aware, so why does it need to be spelt out?

Although my memory of the incident is somewhat hazy, I don't think the term 'binge drinking session' is appropriate at all.

My recollection was that only a few players were on the turps, and many of the fifteen suspended had only had a couple of drinks.

The issue was about the timing of their actions, not so much what they did.

T

Train Without a Station

Barbarian, let me point you back to my previous point that the World Health Organization considers 4 or more standard drinks in one session to be a binge and detrimental to your health.

These guys went out for dinner at say? 7? and came home as late as 3 and had 3 or less drinks? Very unlikely.

T

TOCC

You don't stay at a nightclub past midnight, run up a allegedly "healthy 4 figure bar tab" and only drink a few drinks..

T

TOCC

Whilst we're speculating wildly, you don't stay out until 3am unless you're snorting drugs and murdering hookers.

BH what part exactly is wild speculation?
The fact that they were out past midnight or that the bar owner has even come out and said they ran up a bar tab over $2'000?

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
And by all means @slim293, @BPC, dismiss my comment, but please refer to GAGR Rule 6.

I apologise. Was your sense of humour surgically removed or were you born without one? If anyone is entitled to feel slighted by my post it would be Grumbles himself for taking the piss out of his habiting of silly names ofr his sources.

Further, if we want to discuss Rule 6, you stated: "Word is that they are shielding the current wallaby captain from the reputation of a dog&tattletale". You are implying Mowen deserves a reputation as a dog and a tattletale. Care to identify the source of your "word"? Do you have any basis for slandering Mowen? I would be delighted if you would share it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The fact that they were out past midnight or that the bar owner has even come out and said they ran up a bar tab over $2'000?

Krystle usually has their VIP section closed off on Tuesday night but when the Wallabies arrived, Arulchelvan opened the private penthouse area where select celebrity guests are showered with free booze.

"They had a mix of everything, I would say it was worth about Euro1500 ($2154)," Arulchelvan said.

"We like to look after international teams, we've had the England and Ireland rugby teams in here, the All Blacks, the Australian cricketers - Ricky Ponting has come here."

How many of the free drinks were drunk by hangers on who weren't the players?

If the drinks were free, how accurate is the owner's estimation of what the bar tab would have been?

There's so much speculation here.

I agree with you that it's likely that they had more drinks than they should have, but it's still just speculation.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
I want to take a slightly different tack, one that to my knowledge has not been said yet (?)

The 'outrage' seems to have been the dobbing in, just not done in australia. So the injured then are the ones out drinking and going against what all (seem) to consider as the right thing.

But, to me, the insult is actually towards those who DO do the right thing, uphold the standards that all in the group seem to agree upon (I'm going on 'the team was asked what was a reasonable time, and gave midnight as the answer' as the 'proof' of all agreeing)

So then to the guys who did the right thing, surely that is an almighty 'two fingers up at you my friend'?

What conclusion then would I be able to make about their attitude towards me?? Surely 'fuck you' would be right there up at the top??

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)

The bar owner admitted giving up to nine players free drinks which he "estimates" was around $2,000. It was an exclusive club so the prices probably carry a hefty mark-up and no where does he say the Wallabies drank it all or whether it was shared with others.

Certainly they likely had a bit to drink but there is a real lack of detail as to who came back to the hotel when and what state they were in when they did.

T

Train Without a Station

Could not agree more Terry J. Not keeping yourself in the best condition for a team game is a fucking dog act. Mowen allegedly anyway, was just expecting everybody maintain the high standard.

Are you a dog if you call out your team mate for cheating at training? It's absolutely no different in the context of professional sport?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
No-one has called out Mowen at all, it has all been denied. Some pretty dodgy speculation going on here.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
haha I think to everyone bar the Journo's short on a story that this issue has well and truly been put to bed.

Happy if it makes a few more people watch the game but as every single tom dick and harry interviewed has answered when askedi its seems not to be a issue amoungst the players.

Undoubtably in such a broad spectrum of young blokes regardless of being wallaby team mates there would be those that didnt get on all that well, just the same as any rugby club. This could be a catalyst for a few heated collisions as it has and always will be the case.

pissedoffihavetoregister

Bill Watson (15)
I spoke to a friend whose rel is going out with one of the punished. Seems mowen did dob them in, disapointed that mackenzie and co did a cover up.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Geez, the level of half truths, innuendo and 'mates who know someone' in this thread has now reached absurd levels. Why is something that happened last year still an issue? I am genuinely curious to know.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Media beat up. Commentators bored and want to feel important by inventing little boy tittle tattle stories.

Is Grumbles or his mate Radio behind this?

Nothing to see here. Move on.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
This story shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the Australian way.
No one likes a dobber.
You don't dob on your mates.
If someone dobs on his mates and its true they have to cop it.
But you remember that he's a dobber and you make sure that you don't do anything he might dob you in for in his presence.
There's not much worse than a bloke squealing that he's been dobbed in.
HTFU.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I spoke to a friend whose rel is going out with one of the punished. Seems mowen did dob them in, disapointed that mackenzie and co did a cover up.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

Oh yeah?

Well I have a friend whose cousin knows a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy.........

And he said that his girlfriend's mother's sister's boyfriend's cousin's nephew's half-sister's husband spoke to a guy who says you're full of shit...........

But that's just his opinion........... Greg.........

Status
Not open for further replies.