• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Benji Marshall to cross codes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
First I've heard of it, but then I haven't paid my fees to the rumour mill lately ;)

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24760393-23214,00.html

Benji Marshall all but certain to quit the NRL and play rugby in England

By Chris Wilson
December 07, 2008

BENJI Marshall was just another touch football player in Port Macquarie on Saturday - a world away from Suncorp Stadium two weeks ago.

But it's Marshall's next move that will stun the rugby league world, with the 23-year-old poised to defect to rugby union in Europe.

The Sunday Telegraph understands Marshall has all but decided to quit and is likely to tell the Tigers within a week.

English Super League clubs have shown interest, but Marshall is set to cross codes, following former NRL stars Craig Gower, Sonny Bill Williams and Mark Gasnier to rugby union.

Despite a torturous run with injury, Marshall has already captured the biggest prizes in rugby league - a 2005 premiership with the Tigers and the World Cup with New Zealand.

Now the money is on him playing rugby union in England.

It was only two weeks ago that Marshall joined Kiwi teammates in kissing the rugby league World Cup and blowing raspberries at critics who said he was too scared to trouble the Australia team.

On Saturday, Marshall was back in a black and white uniform, this time with his Sydney touch footy club Wests.

Interestingly, Marshall represented Australia in mixed touch at the 2003 world cup in Japan, snatching the title back from New Zealand.

This weekend he is the star of the NSW State Cup in Port Macquarie, where the 5000 participants well out-number spectators.

Marshall has played with Wests since he was 17, but coach Tony Trad said his contract negotiations were not up for discussion. "We don't pry into that. Benji's one of the boys, we don't ask him about his work and he doesn't ask about ours," Trad said.

Marshall will leave Australia on Tuesday for a holiday with friends in Whistler, Canada. He's not expected to be back for Tigers pre-season training until the New Year.

The loss of Marshall would be a huge blow to the Tigers, who are also fighting to retain hooker Robbie Farah beyond next year.

Coach Tim Sheens, also off contract at the end of 2009, said he had been encouraged by Marshall's performance during the World Cup.

It consolidated Sheens' opinion that Marshall will line up for the Tigers at half-back next season.

"It's no secret I've talked about experimenting with him at seven," Sheens said. "I'm not saying that's where he's going to play, I'm just saying I've got an inkling to experiment with him there.

"I'm hoping next year will be an improvement.

"I'm hoping Benji will develop his game in the area of maturity and his skill around the halves to direct a game.

"I still think there's a lot of work for him to do, but he's come a long way in the last 12 months.

"I think it's a lot brighter, the prospect of his next season."

It might seem like a come down from World Cup celebrations, but Trad said Marshall enjoyed being back at the grassroots of touch football.

"The fans love watching his skill, his foot speed and his passing game. It's been a big boost to the tournament in general," Trad said. "I think the fans are pretty excited watching him play, but he's the same bloke to us. We've known him since he was a young fella. While we're very happy to have him, he's just another one of the team and we don't treat him any differently."

T

TOCC

I heard this rumour around 12months ago
I see benji as playing a similar role in union as larkham did, crisp passing and ghosting through gaps

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Or dancing like an idiot before getting smashed - that wasn't one of Larkham's gifts.

Were I a club manager I'd like to see his shoulders stand up to tackling 120kg forwards or contributing to rucks before I gave him anything more than a 6-week contract.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeah, I'm with NTA - his body would break down just like in league.

This was in the SMH this morning.

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...y-not-jump-ship/2008/12/07/1228584655342.html

Flash in Japan: Marshall may not jump ship

Glenn Jackson | December 8, 2008

IN ANOTHER of sport's quirky ironies, the loss of Wests Tigers five-eighth Benji Marshall to the money on offer in rugby union may be prevented by ? the money on offer in rugby union.

The prospect of earning almost $1.5 million for a stint in Japanese union may stop the Kiwi World Cup winner from quitting league altogether.

Marshall has attracted interest from Japan, and is believed to be in a position to earn upwards of ?90 million ($1.49m) a season in the lucrative Top League.

And because the Japanese season runs in the Australian league off-season - from September to February - Marshall may be able to remain in the NRL even after a code switch.

T

TOCC

i might get blasted for this, but i dont think the physical pressure of a league 5/8 is any harder then a union 5/8..

yeah you can get the likes or Palu running at you and union, but you also have players like Petro, Mason and Carl Webb running at you in league.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
TOCC said:
i might get blasted for this, but i dont think the physical pressure of a league 5/8 is any harder then a union 5/8..

yeah you can get the likes or Palu running at you and union, but you also have players like Petro, Mason and Carl Webb running at you in league.

Agree in part. In attack it is the same, if not more so- as you say Petro etc. do just as much damage as Cliff etc. However in defence a union 5/8 cannot hide, whereas in League you can normally relax for 4 tackles a set. Also, hiding Benji on the wing was a well-tried tactic by the Tigers.

P

PhucNgo

TOCC said:
I heard this rumour around 12months ago
I see benji as playing a similar role in union as larkham did, crisp passing and ghosting through gaps

I see Benji playing a similar role in union as Joey Johns, Braith Anasta and Gus Gould. :fishing

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I think it is more the opposite bb. I think it is harder for a player to hide in league than in union. Union flyhalves always have loose forwards helping them out - league 5/8 normally don't.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Scotty said:
I think it is more the opposite bb. I think it is harder for a player to hide in league than in union. Union flyhalves always have loose forwards helping them out - league 5/8 normally don't.

Not exactly true. League will normally place their best defensive lock / second rowers with the 5/8 or half on defence, e.g. Tonie Carroll "protecting" Darryn Lockyer at the Broncos. They will probably also be with a centre who knows how to tackle. Especially frail players like Marshall they will try to hide on the outside of a good defensive winger, centre and lock / second rower, or, alternatively, they could stand him at fullback in defence.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
You mean like what Merhtens used to do?

I agree that league guys can hide a little, but not to the same extent as union. Which players do you think are the better one on one tacklers? Most would say league. Why is that? Because the have to be. There is a higher percentage of poor tacklers playing in the S14 than in the NRL.

T

TOCC

Ash said:
Scotty said:

Not exactly true. League will normally place their best defensive lock / second rowers with the 5/8 or half on defence, e.g. Tonie Carroll "protecting" Darryn Lockyer at the Broncos. They will probably also be with a centre who knows how to tackle. Especially frail players like Marshall they will try to hide on the outside of a good defensive winger, centre and lock / second rower, or, alternatively, they could stand him at fullback in defence.
its double sided really, coaches put good defensive players next to lockyer because of the high level of traffic that teams direct at him, they dont want there key attacking player tired from making to many tackles..

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Its a response to the argument about league players being hidden in defence. Campbell cant tackle the big fellas and they have tried to hide him everywhere. Both codes have and have had weak tacklers.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Cutter said:
Its a response to the argument about league players being hidden in defence. Campbell cant tackle the big fellas and they have tried to hide him everywhere. Both codes have and have had weak tacklers.

Yeah, Preston Campbell generally defends at fullback for the Titans, I think, no matter what his poisition on the park is.

I tend to agree that both codes have hidden their weak tacklers (somewhat successfully). I wouldn't say either or is better to hide in, as in both the player will eventually have to make that one on one tackle.

T

TOCC

Preston does play from fullback in attack as well, he has in many games for the Titans..
but yes they do hide him in defence.

Union is no different, Kurtley and Quade are both pretty poor defenders, Mitchell a few years ago couldnt make a 1 on 1 tackle to save his life, he has improved since though.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Speaking of little blokes: Milton Thaiday was one smaller chap who had no issue putting away big units. I can still see him smashing one of the Scotland forwards when they played the Tahs at the SFS. White (blindside?) I think it was - ran straight at him and Milton smashed him! :lmao: None of the other Scots ran head-on to Milton the rest of the game. He was a leaguie too.

T

TOCC

Barnes has openly admitted his good defence is from the years he did at the Broncos..

Trying to tackle players like Webke and Petro

Major Spliff Biggins

Fred Wood (13)
Difference in league is that all of those big units get a head of steam before charging in to the defence due to the 10 metre rule.

Mason etc aren't all that big compared to props and locks.

I don't see the tackling being Marshall's problem. It's in and around the rucks his brittle frame would get punished.

T

TOCC

Major Spliff Biggins said:
Difference in league is that all of those big units get a head of steam before charging in to the defence due to the 10 metre rule.

Mason etc aren't all that big compared to props and locks.

I don't see the tackling being Marshall's problem. It's in and around the rucks his brittle frame would get punished.
in the case of the 5/8 position though, you see a lot of teams direct some of there big players like Palu at the 5/8 from set plays like the lineout or scrums, in which case the do get a nice run up.

Yeah some props are bigger then Mason, but his major talent(4 years ago anyway) is he is big and fast, so i imagine that he would hit harder then a big lumbering prop.

Status
Not open for further replies.