• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Benji Marshall

What should Benji have done?

• Not be drunk and at Maccas at 3am

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Ignore the protagonist - walk away

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Punch the idiot, assuming racist taunts were made

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Whatever he wants

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Don't take everything you see and hear in the media as gospel wait for the courts / police to decide in these matters. The media have a way of blowing things out of all proportions in their pursuit of the dollar. In this case Benji would have been best served to keep walking no matter what the guy said, as the old saying goes 'be the bigger man'. If the 'victim' in this instance did racially abuse Benji (as has been alleged) and it can be proven then I hope he is charged with racial vilification and put before the courts as well.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Even though I hate mungos, mungoism and mungoball, it does sound like the guy was fucked around.....this time...

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
I don't care what he said, there's no excuse for hitting someone.

And some of you are jumping to conclusions, there's doubt over whether anything racist was even said. I don't think there's doubt Benji has hit the guy.

Sod that. You abuse somebody and they hit you, it's your fault. The occupational hazard belongs to the abuser. He's the one that got pissed, saw a sports star out minding his own business and decided to let rip a tirade of abuse him. That was HIS decision. It was HIS decison that caused him to get punched in the face. Not anybody else. If you don't want to get punched in the face, don't abuse them. If you choose to abuse them.... welll...

Reap, Sow.

(above is all contingent on BM being racially abused... the Lockyer call really is just banter)

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The bloke does not have a bead reputatipn. That should be enough for him to be given the benifit of the doubt.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sod that. You abuse somebody and they hit you, it's your fault. The occupational hazard belongs to the abuser. He's the one that got pissed, saw a sports star out minding his own business and decided to let rip a tirade of abuse him. That was HIS decision. It was HIS decison that caused him to get punched in the face. Not anybody else. If you don't want to get punched in the face, don't abuse them. If you choose to abuse them.... welll...

Reap, Sow.

(above is all contingent on BM being racially abused... the Lockyer call really is just banter)

Yes let's create a society where you're allowed to physically harm anyone based on some words. That will not backfire at all, you know with the evidence of words being said hard to prove and all...

Punched someone? Oh he was being racist to me.. ok then off you go.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Being Aboriginal, I've heard my fair share of racist remarks. Generally though, they are coming from people who are hardly pillars of society, and as such, you have to let it pass.

Slapping someone silly won't change their attitude, education and exposure to the positives of other cultures will.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Yes let's create a society where you're allowed to physically harm anyone based on some words. That will not backfire at all, you know with the evidence of words being said hard to prove and all...

On the contrary, your view is a society where it's ok to verbally abuse somebody. I'm not cool with that, not at all.

Look, I don't really condone violence on the whole, but I just think you reap what you sow.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Being Aboriginal, I've heard my fair share of racist remarks. Generally though, they are coming from people who are hardly pillars of society, and as such, you have to let it pass.

Slapping someone silly won't change their attitude, education and exposure to the positives of other cultures will.

Nah, can't agree with that. Although the PC brigade, politicians etc will try and tell you that violence is never ever the answer, the fact is that some people only learn from a good solid punch in the face.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
You don't have to agree with it, but it'll be them shooting their mouth off while you are going down for aggravated assault.

I've had a family member learn the hard way it doesn't work - and whilst he had every right in the world to give the guy a slap, my cousin was the one who copped it.

Reality sucks mate.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)

Yes, I could see those laws getting out of hand. I don’t know exactly what happened to Benji but in regards to reacting to taunts with violence I’ll say this…

It’s not about being PC it’s about using common sense. You use violence when you are on the end of a physically unprovoked attack and need to defend yourself. You don’t use it when you’re being verbally taunted. The latter leaves you open to charges and even more so it sets a pretty crappy example for society at large that if someone says something mean you should hit them.

I have mates in the security industry and areas of psychology and both have seen plenty of evidence that society doesn’t need to turn into a “annoying heckler v undisciplined basher” society.

I can empathise with wanting physical retribution for verbal attacks. I really do, I was verbally bullied a lot back in school. I had urges to retaliate in the name of honour but you really need to look further than that and see what wider issues you’re going to cause for yourself and others. Later on my experience in the army taught me that if you respond to verbals you’re really thin skinned and need to open a few cans of ‘whoop ass’ and get over it.

Now, can we have a nicer topic to talk about?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Nah, can't agree with that. Although the PC brigade, politicians etc will try and tell you that violence is never ever the answer, the fact is that some people only learn from a good solid punch in the face.

I don't know. In my work, more in the past, I had to deal with more than a few who seemed to be repeatedly getting punched in the head. Either they weren't learning, or they started from a low base!
As Empire says, it is often the "less" guilty party who cops the bigger penalty.
Having said that, sometimes, some people do seem to really be begging for one on the chops.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

Actions have consequences so if you don't wan't a fist in your face, keep your mouth shut. Benji will now face that consequences for his actions.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Its the kiss of death of being the "face" of NRL.

2 years ago it was brett stuwart (rape case)
last year greg inglis (glassed his girlfriend)
this year its Marshall.

I just hope nothing happens to Bon Jovi.

in the meantime I will wait until the public realises that the players are dickheads and wait for mungoball to die.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Its the kiss of death of being the "face" of NRL.

2 years ago it was brett stuwart (rape case)
last year greg inglis (glassed his girlfriend)
this year its Marshall.

I just hope nothing happens to Bon Jovi.

in the meantime I will wait until the public realises that the players are dickheads and wait for mungoball to die.

Agreed, I have grave fears for Bon Jovi.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
The bigger problem is the hero culture in rugby league. They always need a 'best player in the world' or a 'face of the game', when you hype blokes up that much it's inevitable that they are gonna cop it twice as hard when they fuck up.

You could argue the publicity league gets does more for its growth than incidents like this do to hinder it. And David Gallop is fucking good at his job as well and i'm sure in a few weeks time the public will have forgotten about this like they have all the other off-field incidents over the years.

P

ParraEElsNRL

Jeez this is a hard one, half the forum are all for Benji not smacking the loud mouth and the other half are saying good on you.

i say. sometimes some people need a belt, it's the only way they'll learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.